Illegal Recreational Drugs

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Conversely, imagine getting yourself locked for doing something that is illegal, you know is illegal, but you're stupid enough to take the risk. If people believe it's really that fucking good, that they want to risk breaking the law for it, you can't tell me that there aren't dependency risks involved, even if there is technically no chemical addiction.

I'm not going to disagree with your argument here because it's pointless. The deterrent isn't exactly screaming out that we're doing terrible things here.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Up there on ya right
You lived with someone who was mentally ill first, and a weed user somewhere down the list.

Yeah I never said smoking weed was the cause for their mental illness, I just said when they would have withdrawals from weed it would make things so much worse. If you are needing/wanting to smoke weed everyday your running from something that you don’t want to confront

holdzy

State of Origin Rep
Yeah I never said smoking weed was the cause for their mental illness, I just said when they would have withdrawals from weed it would make things so much worse. If you are needing/wanting to smoke weed everyday your running from something that you don’t want to confront

Nah, generalization.

If I could, I would smoke or vape every night before dinner. Nothing wrong with that.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
There are no withdrawals mate, just weakness of character.

The True King

QCup Player
Haha love this. Depends on the element of choice too.

Find out your dealer is dry and it's an absolute nightmare just the thought of a few days without. Decide you want a break and it's easier to quit than running 1km down the road.

The whole withdrawal thing comes down to mindset and the resolve of the person trying to give it up. As with many other things.

Nah, generalization.

If I could, I would smoke or vape every night before dinner. Nothing wrong with that.

Likewise. It'll be something I am interested in again once I retire/reach my professional goals. Hopefully by then it'll be legal and I can get the strongest most chronic stuff out there!

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
You guys keep saying this, but just because there is no chemical withdrawal from the substance itself, does not mean that there are no symptoms of withdrawal. It's all in the mind, just like other non-substance addictions like gambling.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I'm not going to disagree with your argument here because it's pointless. The deterrent isn't exactly screaming out that we're doing terrible things here.
Eating Maccas every meal isn't "doing terrible things", drinking 6L of soft drink every day isn't "doing terrible things" either. The issue here is more about protecting people from themselves, due to negative reactions or dependency issues, which as much as you say they don't happen to you, they do happen to some people.

holdzy

State of Origin Rep
Eating Maccas every meal isn't "doing terrible things", drinking 6L of soft drink every day isn't "doing terrible things" either. The issue here is more about protecting people from themselves, due to negative reactions or dependency issues, which as much as you say they don't happen to you, they do happen to some people.

Protecting people from themselves, sweet ****. This is religion in a nutshell by the way.

What is the difference between choosing to eat too much fast food and giving yourself diabetes, and choosing to smoke too much weed?

Oh wait...

There is nothing inherently wrong with consuming weed. Nothing.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
You guys keep saying this, but just because there is no chemical withdrawal from the substance itself, does not mean that there are no symptoms of withdrawal. It's all in the mind, just like other non-substance addictions like gambling.
Exactly as I said, no dependency withdrawals, just weak people.

Renegade

State of Origin Rep
wutup bitches.
I agree with you. There are 100% symptoms of withdrawal, the night sweats, the shithouse sleeps, the mood swings. Your brain gets flooded with dopamine when you are high. If you are repeatedly getting high, then you are repeatedly flooding your brain with dopamine - once you stop, your brain goes burrr and low dopamine ensues - low dopamine is linked with a myriad of neurological issues.

if you're an every now and then smoker, you probably won't be subjected to this. If you're a daily smoker, and a hard one, you'll almost certainly feel at least some of these effects. It's pretty well documented.

this post was brought to you by a man with legal THC oil that uses daily

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
wutup bitches.

I agree with you. There are 100% symptoms of withdrawal, the night sweats, the shithouse sleeps, the mood swings. Your brain gets flooded with dopamine when you are high. If you are repeatedly getting high, then you are repeatedly flooding your brain with dopamine - once you stop, your brain goes burrr and low dopamine ensues - low dopamine is linked with a myriad of neurological issues.

if you're a every now and then smoker, you probably won't be subjected to this. If you're a daily smoker, and a hard one, you'll almost certainly feel at least some of these effects. It's pretty well documented.

this post was brought to you by a man with legal THC oil that uses daily
See, I’ve had a mate that has night sweats when going off the weed, but he was an ex-smoker who spun tobacco in his weed. When he (rarely) abstained, he had these physical dependency-based symptoms that you mention. Seems pretty obvious to me that it was nicotine withdrawals.

Weed puts you into a deep sleep, but I rarely dream on it. As soon as I stop, my dreams come back. That’s it for me. I might find it more difficult to get to sleep for a night or two, but that’s just because I’ve been accustomed to weed turning off the lights almost before my head hits the pillow. I think people just get lazy.

Renegade

State of Origin Rep
See, I’ve had a mate that has night sweats when going off the weed, but he was an ex-smoker who spun tobacco in his weed. When he (rarely) abstained, he had these physical dependency-based symptoms that you mention. Seems pretty obvious to me that it was nicotine withdrawals.

Weed puts you into a deep sleep, but I rarely dream on it. As soon as I stop, my dreams come back. That’s it for me. I might find it more difficult to get to sleep for a night or two, but that’s just because I’ve been accustomed to weed turning off the lights almost before my head hits the pillow. I think people just get lazy.
It's possible he was suffering from nicotine withdrawal but you have to be careful in making the assumption that because you have no issues with stopping = theres no withdrawal symptoms. It's like suggesting because I dont have an issue with not drinking that alcoholism isnt a thing, when we both know that's not true and there are studies that document this as well.

Some people are predisposed to things that others aren't. I personally think it's pretty safe provided you arent someone with red flags in those areas but I wouldn't say people are weak or lazy that do have issues.

Imo we have to be careful in how we advance the argument. It isnt a perfect wonder drug with no drawbacks, but it is pretty cool and again, largely safe if used responsibly.

holdzy

State of Origin Rep
It's possible he was suffering from nicotine withdrawal but you have to be careful in making the assumption that because you have no issues with stopping = theres no withdrawal symptoms. It's like suggesting because I dont have an issue with not drinking that alcoholism isnt a thing, when we both know that's not true and there are studies that document this as well.

Some people are predisposed to things that others aren't. I personally think it's pretty safe provided you arent someone with red flags in those areas but I wouldn't say people are weak or lazy that do have issues.

Imo we have to be careful in how we advance the argument. It isnt a perfect wonder drug with no drawbacks, but it is pretty cool and again, largely safe if used responsibly.

No-one has said otherwise re: potential negatives.

Your comparison to alcohol is piss weak, so to speak.

Those symptoms are pretty close to caffeine withdrawal, no?

Morks will disagree with your largely safe assessment by the way, although it's true.

Renegade

State of Origin Rep
No-one has said otherwise re: potential negatives.

Your comparison to alcohol is piss weak, so to speak.

Those symptoms are pretty close to caffeine withdrawal, no?

Morks will disagree with your largely safe assessment by the way, although it's true.
Well yeah, caffeine is a drug as well. If individuals had issues with caffeine it would probably be wise for them to steer clear of it. Caffeine is largely safe as well, but if you're having 5-6 cups a day on the reg that's going to be an issue for your heart.

Mind you, I'm not a coffee drinker so I couldn't say any expertise, but has the strength of caffeine increased over the last 20 years? Because the thc content of weed certainly has.

Last edited:

holdzy

State of Origin Rep
Well yeah, caffeine is a drug as well. If individuals had issues with caffeine it would probably be wise for them to steer clear of it. Caffeine is largely safe as well, but if you're having 5-6 cups a day on the reg that's going to be an issue for your heart.

Mind you, I'm not a coffee drinker so I couldn't say any expertise, but has the strength of caffeine increased over the last 20 years? Because the thc content of weed certainly has.

The hypocrisy of coffee drinkers, I really find funny.

The strength of THC content has become more manageable over the last 20 years, due to legalization. This is a point in favour of legalization, not against it.

Broncapz

NRL Player

To single out Marijuana for this kind of "we must protect you from yourself" rhetoric is very arbitrary. It doesn't rank highly in short/long term risks and burden on healthcare compared to legal alternatives.

Let's be real it's a shitty shitty law that isn't saving anyone, but putting people in prison.

People servince prison sentences VS people whos lives have been saved by prohibition. I'm guessing the left column far out weights the right.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

I don't want you to protect me. Leave me alone.

Broncapz

NRL Player
Exactly how I feel about these do-gooders with no actual experience.

At the end of the day.. there's too much evidence that prohibtion is both a bad idea economically, socially and philosophically.

On the spectrum of safe to dangerous, it is far more weighed towards the safe end of the scale. From both a recreational and medical alternative it is far safer than legal alternatives,

This makes the ONLY conclusion being that the prohibition of marijuana based is not evidence based, but based on gut feeling, bias and arbitrary intuitions that in the end are misguided.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.