Illegal Recreational Drugs

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Exactly as I said, no dependency withdrawals, just weak people.

Like the sort of weak people who can't get through the day without weed or chemical stimulus? If you're going to look down upon people because they happen to be more pre-disposed to addiction, and can't break out of that cycle, then you're a hypocrite.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Imagine getting upset that someone doesn't want someone else controlling what they can and can't do.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Protecting people from themselves, sweet ****. This is religion in a nutshell by the way.

What is the difference between choosing to eat too much fast food and giving yourself diabetes, and choosing to smoke too much weed?

Oh wait...

There is nothing inherently wrong with consuming weed. Nothing.

There are people out there that are more vulnerable, that are easily misled. And others that seem to happily take at face value (and share) that weed is a magical no-strings-attached miracle substance, which, like I said, is socially irresponsible. More often than not those pushing for its legalisation are doing it out of selfish reasons, ie, the want to continue to do it with no legal repurcussions, and that for me is an extremely selfish stance.

Midean

NRL Player
NSW
There are people out there that are more vulnerable, that are easily misled. And others that seem to happily take at face value (and share) that weed is a magical no-strings-attached miracle substance, which, like I said, is socially irresponsible. More often than not those pushing for its legalisation are doing it out of selfish reasons, ie, the want to continue to do it with no legal repurcussions, and that for me is an extremely selfish stance.
You think its selfish to want to be able to enjoy a smoke without fear of going to jail?

Yet in the same breath, its ok to go to the pub and get shitfaced drunk with no fear of legal repercussions?

You are digging yourself into a hole here mate, there is no argument you can use to justify your stance, so long as booze and cigarettes are legal.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Like the sort of weak people who can't get through the day without weed or chemical stimulus? If you're going to look down upon people because they happen to be more pre-disposed to addiction, and can't break out of that cycle, then you're a hypocrite.
How so? I get through the day fine without either mate.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Also, you may be reading the words out of context Morks. I’ve been a weak person at times throughout my life. I possibly will be once again.

Just to clarify Morkel’s personal dig at me, he believes I smoke every day. I haven’t had weed since Sunday night... My partner and I are responsibly taking a break from it for a week/month/whatever.

The “chemical” element he is referring to, I guess, is regarding the fact that I was on anti-depressants for the past two years, which he encouraged me to do privately, and I thank him for that. It really, really helped. I took 6 months to wean off them and now am free of them. But damn did they help. Bit like weed, yet I don’t need 6 months to wean off.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I’ve been too tired to actually find the words for a legitimate argument, instead condensing quick thoughts into quick posts, hence why R Renegade pulled me up on it (and rightly so).

I’m still pretty drained, but it’s my day off today, so I’ll attempt to offer more clarity.

Weed is something you WANT and don’t NEED.

Find out your dealer is dry and it's an absolute nightmare just the thought of a few days without. Decide you want a break and it's easier to quit than running 1km down the road.

The whole withdrawal thing comes down to mindset and the resolve of the person trying to give it up. As with many other things.
This a great example of the psychological side of want/need. Anyone with experience (and maturity - more on this later) understands this. It’s actually not the drug, it’s your brain tricking you that you need it, but really, you just want it.

Another of my examples is when you’ve not smoked it for awhile (a break) and functioning in life perfectly well. You decide it’s time to line up some weed for the weekend (like buying a slab of beer). You get on the phone, organise everything, then the dealer takes his/her sweet fucking time to get it to you, though promising otherwise. All of a sudden, you can’t take your mind off it, desperately wanting to do the deal so you can have a smoke. It can be maddening. Yet, prior to that decision to get more, everything was hunky dory. Suddenly the WANT morphs into this perceived NEED.

Now, back to the maturity thing. When we’re young, we typically have difficulty establishing the difference between need and want. As we get older with more experience under our belt, we understand this predicament a lot better. I even laugh at myself when the want quickly transpires to a perceived need. I mean, it is funny how we let our brain trick us so quickly.

Also, when we are young, we act immaturely, naturally. What can be perceived as an addiction is actually just a tantrum what we aren’t get what we want.

If we do have personal underlying demons, and we know that weed helps to escape those demons (in the short term) rather than doing the hard yards of having an honest conversation with ourselves, we convince ourselves that when we run out of weed, we need more, and more, and more.

The dependency is not on the drug, but the need to be soothed and escape. The longer this goes on, the more personal damage it does as those demons are not being addressed. Kinda like continuing to dig your own hole. This isn’t dissimilar to binge-drinking, binge-eating, or even binge-sleeping. Escapism. All damaging to one’s psyche as this goes on. Band-aid solutions.

A bit like antidepressants when not used in conjunction without the want to actually address what made you depressed or anxious. Therapy, healthy diet, exercise, fixing personal relationships, being accountable for mistakes you’ve made and coming to terms with who you’ve become and understanding who you want to be are much more important than the antidepressant itself. However, the AD’s are necessary for some to create space and peace within your mind to enable you to focus on your issues, rather than just drowning in them.

I am all for legalisation, but I do agree some constraints need to be placed on it. For instance, a 21y/o age limit (which should apply to alcohol also). The brain is still developing and doesn’t need these binges to thwart it. However, with constraints come black markets. It’s a fine balance.

I hope this helps your understanding, compassion and stance on the matter Morkel Morkel and if not, I’ll attempt to answer any questions with more effort than I have been.

EDIT: fixed phat phinger typos.

Last edited:

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Morkel, I get your argument and I'm definitely in the camp or there's definitely an addiction element to weed, I mean I personally know 3 people who have had their lives ruined by not being able to stop getting high, but I also know heaps of people that live productive lives while on it too.

But **** that argument for a second, I don't think it's a wonderdrug or any such shit, I think it's a drug like anything else with pros and cons, but there's a huge black market. It's absolutely a gateway drug, not necessarily to heavier stuff, but to meeting shit cunts who can be a bad influence on a young person and encourage them down the wrong path.

Imagine it was fully legal, with restrictions (like alcohol) and heavily taxes (like durries) a young kid who wanted to try it wouldn't have to meet a shady person who will potentially get them involved in the wrong crowd. Scum drug dealers will struggle to have any market and will have to get real jobs. Society gets much more tax dollars, which could be poured into a better healthcare system. Dickhead dealers might need to find real jobs and pay more tax too. Anyone who wants to smoke cones WILL smoke cones anyway, this is the most important consideration but we either facilitate that with benefits to society, or criminalise it, use countless police resources, no tax dollars income, and it goes on and on.

Do you not see the huge benefit there?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
How so? I get through the day fine without either mate.

Morkel thinks that when we say there is no addiction, he thinks that it's like when a ciggy smoker says they aren't addicted. His arguments don't come from a place of knowledge, they come from a place of judgement and opinions.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Morkel thinks that when we say there is no addiction, he thinks that it's like when a ciggy smoker says they aren't addicted. His arguments don't come from a place of knowledge, they come from a place of judgement and opinions.
I do agree, but many people function the same way. It’s religious indoctrination 101, and honestly Morks, I’m not attacking you at all. Religion provides defined structure, so it’s completely understandable that such structure should (in the demographic) be applied across all contexts. The rest of us may be more open-minded due to personal experience or just simply that such structures are irrelevant as we navigate life perfectly well without them, possibly better because we don’t need defined rules; we are capable of creating our own moral and ethical codes.

Sorry if this should be in the religion thread, but I see it as part of the argument’s context.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I do agree, but many people function the same way. It’s religious indoctrination 101, and honestly Morks, I’m not attacking you at all. Religion provides defined structure, so it’s completely understandable that such structure should (in the demographic) be applied across all contexts. The rest of us may be more open-minded due to personal experience or just simply that such structures are irrelevant as we navigate life perfectly well without them, possibly better because we don’t need defined rules; we are capable of creating our own moral and ethical codes.

Sorry if this should be in the religion thread, but I see it as part of the argument’s context.

He doesn't get a pass because of his religion.

holdzy

State of Origin Rep

Eh this all boils down to you refusing to accept adults being adults, warped sense of what is selfish and judgement of what makes others happy, dressed up in an argument against prohibition without realizing it.

You literally said protecting people from themselves. Weak.

Weed is the best, unless you are pre-disposed to mental illness or otherwise very immature, you should try it and enjoy it. Makes everything funnier, makes you more creative, makes food and sex even better. Promotes peacefulness and happiness. jesus would love it.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Eh this all boils down to you refusing to accept adults being adults, warped sense of what is selfish and judgement of what makes others happy, dressed up in an argument against prohibition without realizing it.

You literally said protecting people from themselves. Weak.

Weed is the best, unless you are pre-disposed to mental illness or otherwise very immature, you should try it and enjoy it. Makes everything funnier, makes you more creative, makes food and sex even better. Promotes peacefulness and happiness. jesus would love it.
I reckon Jesus would be a handy smoke buddy. Run out? No problems, I’ll just turn these bananas into buds! You’re the best, Jesus.

Broncapz

NRL Player

First off. Stop pointing out how some people overstate how safe weed is. We get that point, but my main point makes that irrelevant.

We DO know as a fact...a FACT... indesputable fact. That it is safer and less addictive than legal recreational and medical alternatives.
^^
Read this point again. One more time for you.

We DO know as a fact...a FACT... indesputable fact. That it is safer and less addictive than legal recreational and medical alternatives.

That means anyone with a functioning brain can see that MARIJUANA PROHIBITION IS ARBITRARY.

Lives are being ruined because of an arbitrary law. It's not selfish to want that law gone, you're just holding onto old biases and a little scared of change is all.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Also, you may be reading the words out of context Morks. I’ve been a weak person at times throughout my life. I possibly will be once again.

Just to clarify Morkel’s personal dig at me, he believes I smoke every day. I haven’t had weed since Sunday night... My partner and I are responsibly taking a break from it for a week/month/whatever.

The “chemical” element he is referring to, I guess, is regarding the fact that I was on anti-depressants for the past two years, which he encouraged me to do privately, and I thank him for that. It really, really helped. I took 6 months to wean off them and now am free of them. But damn did they help. Bit like weed, yet I don’t need 6 months to wean off.

Apologies, that wasn't intended to be an insult, that is not how I feel towards you regardless of whether I thought you were a frequent user or not, nor how I feel about anyone out there who is a regular user. As you know, that would be hypocritical of myself as I too am what I'd consider "dependent" on medication. What I was saying was that to call someone "a weak person" because they can't escape addiction (chemical or mental) is a pretty poor stance, and you could criticise anyone in some kind of dependency situation likewise by calling them "weak".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.