NEWS In case you were wondering about Tom Dearden

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Kevin Walters clears the air, without saying much:

"What we’re very conscious of is making sure Tom gets the right support around him to be successful at this club. We want him coming into a winning team and an environment he is comfortable playing. He is still only a young fella in age and also experience as well. The NRL is a tough environment for halfbacks and any young player to be learning their skill and that’s our main head space around Tom. I’ve looked at all of our great halves from the last 10 years. Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston, Daly Cherry-Evans. These guys are all Queenslanders of course but they’ve all come through the competition in the Intrust Super Cup or NSW Cup whichever competition they were playing in, they did some time there, they learnt some things about themselves and about the game then applied that into the next level."

Having a blast on Hamo

Gaining confidence

"We are in no hurry to rush Tom, we know he is a good talent and he will play lots of NRL for us this season, there is no doubt about that. But we’ve got to make sure he is coming through in the right environment. He is a big part of our future and we want to nurse him through this initial period of his career where he is gaining confidence every week in his ability. We are bringing him through the right way and nurturing Tom to be that player we believe to be our long-term No.7."

McHunt

Kevin Walters clears the air, without saying much:

"What we’re very conscious of is making sure Tom gets the right support around him to be successful at this club. We want him coming into a winning team and an environment he is comfortable playing. He is still only a young fella in age and also experience as well. The NRL is a tough environment for halfbacks and any young player to be learning their skill and that’s our main head space around Tom. I’ve looked at all of our great halves from the last 10 years. Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston, Daly Cherry-Evans. These guys are all Queenslanders of course but they’ve all come through the competition in the Intrust Super Cup or NSW Cup whichever competition they were playing in, they did some time there, they learnt some things about themselves and about the game then applied that into the next level."

View attachment 12124
Gaining confidence

"We are in no hurry to rush Tom, we know he is a good talent and he will play lots of NRL for us this season, there is no doubt about that. But we’ve got to make sure he is coming through in the right environment. He is a big part of our future and we want to nurse him through this initial period of his career where he is gaining confidence every week in his ability. We are bringing him through the right way and nurturing Tom to be that player we believe to be our long-term No.7."

McHunt
"our long-term No.7" sounds about right to me. We just need to find the proper running six to pair with him. i think Milf has until the middle of the season to show his old form or Kevvie will set in motion his plan B and use Milf's $1 mil to remedy the situation.

So long as we lock him up on a 3yr or so contract I’m ok with it.
I just worry his manager will be in his ear telling him there is a starting spot elsewhere, enticing him to chase the higher $ elsewhere. He actually comes across as a genuine bloke so hopefully he understands Kevs plan.
I think he is our long term 7, we just need that explosive 6 next to him. Whether that be Staggs, I’m not sure, but i’d like to see it given a go.

Is that his other half?

What is it with Rugby League players punching well above their weight? Meanwhile the only action I'm getting is from Mrs Palmer.

You are probably not remunerated quite as handsomely either.

Dearden would be closer to a winning team if he had a chance to help it win. Croft sucks.

Wise words from Kevvie in regards to doing your time in QLD/NSW Cup like DCE, Thurston and Cronk did. If it’s good enough for them then it’s good enough for him plus the proof is in the pudding.

Less decision making as a 6 than a Centre. He'll be a lot more solid defensively than Milford, probably capabale of landing some big hits too.
I'm not sure that logic is sound. If, as you say, his decision making is what lets him down and therefore his defence surely that woud also translate to him making poor decisions at 5/8? Let's face it, 5/8s are called on to make many more decisions than a centre all be it the defence load is easier. But if he can't make the correct decisions while defending what makes you think his ability to make the right decision will improve at 5/8?

To be clear, it's his decision making that is in question here. He may be able to tackle props one on one, but he needs to be able to think, count, and read plays that are on as a 5/8 and that demands quick decision processes. Frankly, I'm not sure he has it.

Is that his other half?

What is it with Rugby League players punching well above their weight? Meanwhile the only action I'm getting is from Mrs Palmer.
Money and fitness levels

he needs reps in ISC but we are desperate and I think we will accelerate his track into the first team.

Does that hinder of help his long term development? Im not sure, more like " sink or swim" time...

Is that his other half?

I thought Payne Hass's GF looked pretty tasty........did the trick for me. 👍

he needs reps in ISC but we are desperate and I think we will accelerate his track into the first team.

Does that hinder of help his long term development? Im not sure, more like " sink or swim" time...
Good players don't tend to spend long (if at all) in the lower grades for the benefit of their "development". I reckon the best thing for Tommy's game is to be regularly playing in the NRL.

Good players don't tend to spend long (if at all) in the lower grades for the benefit of their "development". I reckon the best thing for Tommy's game is to be regularly playing in the NRL.

He played half a season last year. He has combined well with Milford in the halves. I don't buy the BS about him needing more time in ISC. I reckon Walters has some other agenda here and tonight, I hope it doesn't bite him on the bum.

Just watched us v Storm last year. I shouldn't have. If our lazy marker defence and slow or nil line speed doesn't seriously improve tonight, Storm by 40

I'm not sure that logic is sound. If, as you say, his decision making is what lets him down and therefore his defence surely that woud also translate to him making poor decisions at 5/8? Let's face it, 5/8s are called on to make many more decisions than a centre all be it the defence load is easier. But if he can't make the correct decisions while defending what makes you think his ability to make the right decision will improve at 5/8?

To be clear, it's his decision making that is in question here. He may be able to tackle props one on one, but he needs to be able to think, count, and read plays that are on as a 5/8 and that demands quick decision processes. Frankly, I'm not sure he has it.

Honestly, apart from not getting those killer torpedo bombs it can't get worse than current Milford.

Honestly, apart from not getting those killer torpedo bombs it can't get worse than current Milford.
Agreed. I’d rather keep looking until such times as we have no other option though.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • winslow_wong
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncoFan94
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skathen
  • kman
  • Fozz
  • Painin the Haas
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.