NEWS Injury Update: Alex Glenn

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Alex Glenn has turned to trusted "secret healers" to cure his hamstring injury as the Broncos skipper explores every avenue to be fit for round one against the Cowboys.

NRL.com understands Glenn has been seeing a favourite acupuncturist to work on his hamstring as he pins his hopes on traditional Chinese medicine.

The 31-year-old watched the Broncos 28-22 trial loss to the Titans at Redcliffe before speaking about his chances of being fit in a fortnight, and of his willingness to think outside the box.

"I can’t give away my secret,” Glenn grinned when asked who the "secret healers" were.

"I’ve been doing everything by the rehab coaches and physios and I’ve got some outside men helping me and keeping me on the table.

"We’ve all got them up our sleeve, bro. I’ve had a few people in my circle that have looked after my body really well and it has kept out here competing with the younger people, but I’m not dropping any names."

Glenn said he was "confident" of taking his place in the team in Townsville but could give no guarantees.

"I’m tracking really well but I don’t want to be here saying I’ll be ready to go, and then come round one I’m not ... but it has been progressing really well,” he said.

"With hamstrings at my age you’ve got to be smart. The physio said 'you’ll heal to about eighty or ninety per cent really fast but it is the last ten or twenty per cent that you’ve got to be really smart', so I’m being really smart.

"I’ve been around the traps a long time and I know how to take care of my body."

He said stand-in skipper Pat Carrigan, Thomas Flegler and Payne Haas impressed him in Saturday's trial loss to the Titans but if he is out of action in round one, Brisbane may have to field two debutant forwards on the bench.

Ethan Bullemor, Jamil Hopoate, Rhys Kennedy and development list forward Jordan Riki, who would need special dispensation from the NRL to face the Cowboys, are options.

That quartet played against the Gold Coast and while Kennedy is expected to come into the 17, the rest of the bench did not set the world on fire against the Titans with coach Anthony Seibold admitting they "learned a few lessons".

With Keenan Palasia out for the season with an ACL and Matt Lodge (partial ACL tear) and Joe Ofahengaue (suspended) unavailable for the Cowboys clash, Glenn’s availability is critical to Brisbane's hopes.

"It definitely hurts having myself and Lodgey out, and obviously Joe missing a couple of games as well, but I've got all faith in the boys and what we’ve been working on in the pre-season," Glenn said.

"If I can get out there in round one it is going to add some strike, but the rest is with the man upstairs."

Source: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/202...R6LXu8tMADFAnxkq6bYfkPXxwo5p9RcZXjjy102QE5xmk

Getting poked with needles by a Chinese person, you can't fault his bravery..

The wealthiest club in the comp and the best we can do for our captain is acupuncture?

The wealthiest club in the comp and the best we can do for our captain is acupuncture?

Sounds like he's doing it on his own accord to be fair, as well as the Broncos medical treatment / recovery methods.

Acupuncture worked a treat when I had sacroiliitis.

Ha ha ha. Another person duped by pure bullshit. Next he'll be trying homeopathy!
I gotta agree - theres literally no scientific proof it speeds up recovery - but hey, if hes doing everything possible youd rather commitment then having beers at the local pub!

Never sell short the power of the mind though

Yeah, Chinese ’health practices’ are not having a real good go of things, at the moment... 😂

best of luck with it Lexi...good to see he isn't prepared to leave his team shorthanded...hamstrings though are tricky so...

I gotta agree - theres literally no scientific proof it speeds up recovery - but hey, if hes doing everything possible youd rather commitment then having beers at the local pub!
Had muscles in my back spasming that a gp, physio and chiro couldn't fix, was a result of protruding disc. Anyhew, went and got some acupuncture and the spasming stopped instantly.
Don't knock it til you've tried it.

Had muscles in my back spasming that a gp, physio and chiro couldn't fix, was a result of protruding disc. Anyhew, went and got some acupuncture and the spasming stopped instantly.
Don't knock it til you've tried it.
it's pomo medicine. no hard scientific evidence behind why it works, but multiple people (incl myself, who's a huge skeptic in general!) can attest to it. Physio didn't help my sacroiliac issue either, but i felt immediate relief (comparative to) after each session of acupuncture and it lead to a quicker than diagnosed recovery time.

I get the skepticism towards chakras and crystals... but I don't think acupuncture quite falls into that category.

it's pomo medicine. no hard scientific evidence behind why it works, but multiple people (incl myself, who's a huge skeptic in general!) can attest to it. Physio didn't help my sacroiliac issue either, but i felt immediate relief (comparative to) after each session of acupuncture and it lead to a quicker than diagnosed recovery time.

I get the skepticism towards chakras and crystals... but I don't think acupuncture quite falls into that category.
Yep, the activating of the muscles with the pins seemed to ease the pressure in my sciatic. I guess a bit like massage?

deep tissue dry needling sounds rough, am a fan of the deep tissue massages though - feel like you're walking on clouds afterwards even though during you sound closer to animal than man (at least, i do).

SI joint is very different, respectfully speaking. SI is often nerve, posture and bio mechanics issue.

If it’s done right, it is exceptionally good treatment.
My understanding is acupuncture can bring relief to some people but it's unrelated to the siting of the needles. In other words, it forces you into a state of relaxation which is usually beneficial, or the effect is entirely placebo.

Unfortunately, the placebo effect only works if you're not aware of it. So if you want acupuncture to work the less you read about it, the better it will work.

Prayer may also be effective.

Last edited:
There is some small evidence for tendinopathies but deep tissue acupuncture has about as much evidence to it as wearing a yellow hat on Thursdays to cure spinal cord injuries. Not sure of Glenn's strain but if it's at or near the hamstring tendons it may help, or if it's not I can lend him my yellow hat too.

Active Now

• Volvo Driver
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Galah
  • Midean
  • Strop
  • BroncosAlways
  • Charlesstor
  • I bleed Maroon
  • broncsgoat
  • Brotherdu
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bronx48
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Battler
  • Mustafur
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Maroon4life
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 35 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.