Interchange numbers

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
Marty Johns going on about bring it down to 4 instead of possible 6.

I think 4 is ridiculous. Becomes like union where players warm the bench for all but last 5 minutes. Disappointing in union if your favourite player comes off and won’t be back.

Would think 6 or 7 is right number. Allows for tactical interchanges and bringing some players back but helps fatigue. If want to get fatigue back into game how about policing the 10 again. A lot can still be sped up like handovers, scrums. If team is ready and others aren’t for handover too bad. They should be able to tap and go if no marker. Drop outs only need 30 seconds not 45. Restarts from points 45 seconds from second ball goes dead. Scrums 30 seconds. Bunker has gotten quicker which is good. Ref chats don’t need to happen. If players want to talk to refs that’s fine but rest of play will go on without them. Don’t need warning to send to bin just send them, players should know the rules. If binned player not off in 20 seconds then send off.

Any other ways to speed up and keep ball in play?

It is all about bringing in even more exhaustion. I am a big fan in 4 replacements. That way the big boppers have to stay on for at least a half of football straight, not 20 min shifts. It will help bring back the little guys like Alf.

I am also in favour of Uncle Benny's ideas to reduce the amount of time wasting and stoppages going on. Qucik taps need to be quick taps for example. I would actually go as far as recommending getting rid of scrums and just having a turn over to force the pace up.

4 is crazy. I'm not even a fan of 6. I guess it might suit Bird if he does play lock though.

Marty Johns going on about bring it down to 4 instead of possible 6.

Is Marty any relation to Andrew and Matt?

He sounds as big a fuckhead as they are.

It’s harm reduction, in terms of statistics showing injuries come from/by fresh players. The game already favours the powerful big men at the expense of the small zippy ones (especially in juniors, which is worrying) and this is a way of leveling the playing field to allow the fatigue to benefit injury reduction and fostering the small guy once again.

I’m not too sure if today’s game really does favour the big guys anymore though, look at the likes of the raiders with one of the biggest forward packs in the comp and how well they’re doing at the moment. I’ve noticed even in local leagues and juniors that the really big bodied players aren’t as prevelant as they once were.

Just read Bennett’s article already said what i said. Like the captains challenge for less bunker and pressure on refs. Kind of stuck with injuries with oh and S stuff although if obviously not major like cramp need to find ways to limit time wasted.

Aside from fatigue increasing little guys opportunities and lowering high impact injuries benefit is obvious more time in play for fans. Reckon would add at least 5 mins in play time.

Also like to shorten half time. 10 mins only. Let tc have its ads and us get another beer and pee but no need to see pointless halftime analysis. Only issue is in stadiums that actually have fans in them getting food and a pee.

As a left field idea wouldn’t mind trialling getting rid of the lock position and 12 men on each team with 3-4 reserves. Go back to one marker. Open the game up, increase others workload for fatigue and in age of modern professional defence and fitness field feels too small a lot of the time. As for scrums who cares they’re not real anymore. Bonus is remove 16 less talented players from the field each week and save on ridiculous player payments.

Just keep it the way it is.

It doesn't need to be reduced. If the NRL wants to increase the fatigue factor, then stop letting teams rort the HIA and deliberately waste time.

Just keep it the way it is.

It doesn't need to be reduced. If the NRL wants to increase the fatigue factor, then stop letting teams rort the HIA and deliberately waste time.
Yes, and let's not forget the over kill of penalties that stop the game every second set

Yes, and let's not forget the over kill of penalties that stop the game every second set

I see penalties as the solution not the problem. Rather than manage the game just needed refs to blow the whistle consistently for a bit longer and players and coaches would have got the message.

Having to get back 10m, getting off the tackles player or getting square at marker adds fatigue.

Quick taps should be encouraged. If you are behind or on the mark within 5 meters then u go when you want.

The incessant penalties on the goal line defence are a problem. Whatever people want to do but for me it’s 2 minute exclusions any defensive penalty. And you get off the field immediately with rapid play on whether on field or not and if you interference sin bin or if intentional foul send off.

I see penalties as the solution not the problem. Rather than manage the game just needed refs to blow the whistle consistently for a bit longer and players and coaches would have got the message.

Having to get back 10m, getting off the tackles player or getting square at marker adds fatigue.

Quick taps should be encouraged. If you are behind or on the mark within 5 meters then u go when you want.

The incessant penalties on the goal line defence are a problem. Whatever people want to do but for me it’s 2 minute exclusions any defensive penalty. And you get off the field immediately with rapid play on whether on field or not and if you interference sin bin or if intentional foul send off.
I wonder if it would be better to make offside a differential penalty. If there is repeated infringements then someone gets sent to the bin and you can go for the two if you want.

It’s harm reduction, in terms of statistics showing injuries come from/by fresh players. The game already favours the powerful big men at the expense of the small zippy ones (especially in juniors, which is worrying) and this is a way of leveling the playing field to allow the fatigue to benefit injury reduction and fostering the small guy once again.

Yep, it's about OH&S. The less interchanges the smaller the players will become which should result in fewer impact injuries
or so the theory goes. Apparently there are some stats that suggest this based on the reduction of impact injuries since the drop from 10 to 8.

Teams will need players who can go 80 mins and only a couple of bigger guys on the bench

Last edited:
Yep, it's about OH&S. The less interchanges the smaller the players will become which should result in fewer impact injuries
or so the theory goes. Apparently there are some stats that suggest this based on the reduction of interchanges since the drop from 10 to 8.

Teams will need players who can go 80 mins and only a couple of bigger guys on the bench

There will still be teams like the Titans who play with unlimited interchanges.

Last thing we want is to be like Union in any form. Leave it at 8.

I'd like to see the kick for touch penalties replaced with a quick tap and play on, except for foul play like a head high or cannonball tackle that could be a kick for touch as it's more of a punishment.

It would do 2 things - reduce the impact of the ref and penalties piggy backing teams down the field and 2 speed up the game.

I wonder if it would be better to make offside a differential penalty. If there is repeated infringements then someone gets sent to the bin and you can go for the two if you want.
Oops I just saw this post, this is what I was meaning with my post.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • Griffo
  • Bish
  • BooKhaki
  • Harry Sack
  • Xzei
  • IceWorks
  • Tim K
  • cento
  • Santa
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Alec
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.