NEWS International Rugby League qualification rules

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
SMH is reporting that the RLIF have introduced changes to their qualification rules moving forward.

essentially they are going back to the old rules where once you have elected to represent a nation, you can not then represent another nation in the same calendar year.

the change where you could play origin, then play for a tier 2 nation, if you missed Aussie selection didn't last long, lol

Backwards move IMO. I don't think too many people were confused. If you don't get picked for a tier 1 nation you can choose to represent your heritage if they are a tier 2 nation.

I don't see how anyone can benefit from this except maybe in the short term.

The pacific nations tests were brilliant entertainment and great advertisement for the game.

Seems to be some confusion about this.

Seems to be some confusion about this.
That tweet is wrong ... They do need to choose...

Because unless they change the origin eligibility requirements, you need to be eligible to play for Australia to play origin ...

However, there will be less flexibility to move from now on in a bid to bring greater integrity to the international game.

Honestly, what the ****.

Some of the most enjoyable rugby league games for me in the last 5 years have been watching Lebanon play with a semi-decent team, seeing Tonga rise to a competitive nation, watching Samoa Vs Tonga games which have been pretty bloody excellent.

How in the **** is it bringing integrity to the international game. It's ruining it, it's an absolute joke that benefits only Australia. No one is going to choose Kiwi over Tonga because the difference is bugger all but choosing Samoa over Australia is straight up dumb because you lose a potential 100k at a minimum but now if you miss origin selection you just miss rep football entirely.

So plenty of the best NRL players will be sitting on their arses instead of making the world cup an actual exciting time for fans.

This is the most bonehead decision the NRL has made in years. FFS. Way to ruin one of my favourite things about rep footy in the last 5 years.

Last edited:
Honestly, what the ****.

Some of the most enjoyable rugby league games for me in the last 5 years have been watching Lebanon play with a semi-decent team, seeing Tonga rise to a competitive nation, watching Samoa Vs Tonga games which have been pretty bloody excellent.

How in the **** is it bringing integrity to the international game. It's ruining it, it's an absolute joke that benefits only Australia. No one is going to choose Kiwi over Tonga because the different is bugger all but choosing Samoa over Australia is straight up dumb because you lose a potential 100k at a minimum but now if you miss origin selection you just miss rep football entirely.

So plenty of the best NRL players will be sitting on there arses instead of making the world cup an actual exciting time for fans.

This is the most bonehead decision the NRL has made in years. FFS. Way to ruin one of my favourite things about rep footy in the last 5 years.
Agreed, my exact thoughts when I heard the news was:
Just when the international game was getting exciting. Now we just get to watch Aus dominate everyone again. How exciting.

Agreed, my exact thoughts when I heard the news was:
Just when the international game was getting exciting. Now we just get to watch Aus dominate everyone again. How exciting.
Yep, it's bullshit. I'll be back to not caring about IRL again. Who ever is vs'ing Australia, go them.

Yep, it's bullshit. I'll be back to not caring about IRL again. Who ever is vs'ing Australia, go them.
With further thought, this to me is probably the biggest backwards step the game has ever taken. So stupid.

With further thought, this to me is probably the biggest backwards step the game has ever taken. So stupid.
It's mind boggling really. International League had the biggest capacity for growth, you only have to see how popular Tonga is, in the world cup, I would see Tonga flags absolutely everywhere. That's what builds passion in the game and gets young kids wanting to strap the boots on. They're basically pissing on that, and let's just go back to being the same old domestic competition that'll never grow beyond what it is now.

It's mind boggling really. International League had the biggest capacity for growth, you only have to see how popular Tonga is, in the world cup, I would see Tonga flags absolutely everywhere. That's what builds passion in the game and gets young kids wanting to strap the boots on. They're basically pissing on that, and let's just go back to being the same old domestic competition that'll never grow beyond what it is now.
Anyone but the kiwis for me. Sorry but little brother's fans are intolerable when they beat us at anything.

Anyone but the kiwis for me. Sorry but little brother's fans are intolerable when they beat us at anything.
I'll be honest, I really didn't care about the international game at all, it just seemed... Boring to me. But the rise of Tonga, Samoa, Lebanon, Fiji, PNG, these were all really fun games. Getting to see a bunch of NRL players mixed in amongst some rising stars. Now it's going to go back to being C grade teams that are just filling a calendar spot and will be lucky to avoid 60-0 against the big dogs. Hopefully Tonga can stay strong through it, but guys like Milford, Staggs are two off the top of my head who will probably miss the world cup now. It sucks.

Last edited:

I love blaming the NRL for things as much as anyone (and honestly, most of the time they deserve it) .. but this decision was made by the RLIF

maybe they are hoping that the NRL change the Origin eligibility to allow tier 2 nations to play origin without making themselves available for Australian selection as well

I think the question needs to be asked why have the RLIF done this? It doesn’t benefit them in the slightest for international league to go back to being boring and predictable. There is something up here. It’s a ridiculously bad decision that no one other than Australia will benefit from.

This sport at any level of the game sure as hell knows how to bend over and **** itself all on it's own.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Mustafur
  • bb_gun
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Alec
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • The True King
  • Xzei
  • Tim K
  • Lozza
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • Splinter
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.