International Rugby League set for eligibility rule change

Black Philip

Black Philip

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Home | Live Scores & Latest News | Fox Sports

INTERNATIONAL rugby league is set to be turned on its head, with eligibility rules being overhauled to ensure players aren’t forced to choose between Origin and their heritage country.

The Rugby League International Federation’s landmark decision means players such as Anthony Milford can represent a tier-two nation, such as Samoa in Milford’s case, without ruling themselves out of Origin contention or playing for the ‘Big Three’ — Australia, New Zealand and England.

If a player is not selected for one of the major nations, they are then able to represent nations including Fiji, Samoa and PNG and switch between the tiers without suffering any repercussions.

The move is in the final stages of being formalised and has received unanimous support from the game’s 18 full member nations, with the changes to come into effect by October 1.

I've wanted a change like this for a long time, I think it will be excellent for the International scene.

Awesome! I've also been wanting these changes for years now.

About bloody time. Now the International scene should get a lot more interesting. It was infuriating seeing players choose Australia just to play origin.

Heres a question ...

The article article says if they miss selection they can play for the tier 2 nation without affecting their origin availability.

But what if they are selected for Australia... can they turn that down to play for the tier 2 nation and still play origin

Last edited:
About fucking time.

Tin foil: This is so NSW can play Semi.

Can NZ take Tamou back now? Win for everyone. We get rid of him and he doesn't have to break the bank for that citizenship.

So if someone comes from from FiJi and is in NSW for 20mins, they then get to play origin?
That's not what Origin is about.
If they're not living in their state by a certain age, say 16, then they're not eligible.

So if someone comes from from FiJi and is in NSW for 20mins, they then get to play origin?
That's not what Origin is about.
If they're not living in their state by a certain age, say 16, then they're not eligible.
Origin eligibility isn't changing ... so they still have to be living in the state before the age of 13 to be eligible.

Heres a question ...

The article article says if they miss selection they can play for the tier 2 nation without affecting their origin availability.

But what if they are selected for Australia... can they turn that down to play for the tier 2 nation and still play origin

I'm not sure. I would like to see that though, but I know that's a bit of an unpopular opinion. If a player still meets Origin selection criteria but was born/grew up in another country I don't have an issue with them playing origin and representing someone else internationally.

About fucking time.

Tin foil: This is so NSW can play Semi.

Surely he would still be ineligible due to not moving to NSW until he was already a senior player?

I'm not sure. I would like to see that though, but I know that's a bit of an unpopular opinion. If a player still meets Origin selection criteria but was born/grew up in another country I don't have an issue with them playing origin and representing someone else internationally.
Unpopular or not, I 110% agree with you, I'd absolutely love for this to happen. You can still be eligible for QLD, but playing for another country. It would improve the international game immensely. Someone like, Hayne could easily play for NSW, and then for Fiji if he wanted to. I really hope this happens.

So is it only second tier nations? Or the big guys. Can Kiwis play Origin if they meet Origin criteria?

I can't see Australia parting with rules that are designed to make sure they can attempt to pick any player on the Earth.

They can have Semi, Taumalolo moved to QLD when he was 12 so we can take him.

So is it only second tier nations? Or the big guys. Can Kiwis play Origin if they meet Origin criteria?

I can't see Australia parting with rules that are designed to make sure they can attempt to pick any player on the Earth.
Pretty sure it is only second tier nations.

They can have Semi, Taumalolo moved to QLD when he was 12 so we can take him.

That would be amazing. Lolo would boss origin.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Matheos
  • Bish
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.