NEWS Interview with Justin Hodges

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Robert Craddock from The Courier-Mail grills the former Broncos captain:

On which is tougher: league or boxing?
"Boxing in a way because you are so isolated. You cannot have an off night and come away with a victory. It’s a brutal sport. "

On boxer and league player Billy Johnstone's quote: nothing in league came close to matching the terror of the boxing ring.
"He’s 100% right. You sit in your hotel for a few days and you try not to think about it. The butterflies, the expectations and the pressure it just mounts and mounts and mounts. Then you go to the back room and you watch fights on television. The worst thing is you don’t know when you are on. They say you’ll be on between 8.30pm and 9.30pm. In my first fight the guy in the fight got knocked down twice and I was told to get ready and I warmed up three or four times. At least in rugby league you knew at 8.30pm you were kicking off."

On being knocked out.
"It was a lack of experience. We both came into the clinch and instead of holding him which most blokes do and the ref breaks it up I pushed him away and he had my right hand tied up and I dropped my left hand. In training no-one really hits after you tie up. He threw a right on my chin and knocked me out. I was alright. I have been through the highs and lows. It was not my No 1 sport and I could wake up and play rugby league any day of the week because I was good at it. Boxing was more of a challenge. People will bag you. I was more worried about not getting the fulfilment after training for three months."

On his family's reaction.
"The biggest one for me was my kids Carter and Milane who said “what happened to daddy?’’ I rang Carter when I got back in the dressing room and the poor kid was crying. Listening to my son crying was the hardest thing about all of it. I probably did not see the impact it had on him but he is fine now."

On fighting again.
"I would like to. I have a busy schedule and I have not got much time. Being the competitor I am I do not want to finish with a loss but at the same time I know that it is not my chosen sport. I want that proper fulfilment of having a proper boxing match. The last couple of fights have been pretty quick."

On three fights over in 137 seconds - not even a full round.
"Well I wanted that fulfilment of going four or six rounds and having a decent contest. You want to win but I wanted to challenge myself. I tell that to indigenous kids. You cannot sit back and let people say you should do this or that. You have to have a crack at life. Have a go."

On advice to young players and a coaching future.
"I often think about that. I watch the NBA and Le Bron James and these guys and how they act. Looking back when you are young you are just enjoying football but you don’t always see the big picture. But it was only towards the end of my career I really started to think about trying to leave a legacy and really being the best player I could be. Winning more competitions. I would tell myself to be driven more. Be focused. Set standards for your teammates and yourself. I see athletes today who did that and if I had my time over I would do it differently. Locky, Cam Smith and Billy Slater got it at any early age. It took me longer. I regret not trying to make my teammates better. I did not take my education seriously enough so that’s why I love teaching kids now – even my own – to make sure they make the most of it because it teaches them so many good habits."

On Darius Boyd playing centre.
"He has played there at Origin and handled it well. Like everything you have to train there. It will be a tough challenge for him because most of his career has been wing or fullback and it will take time but he just has to trust his instincts."

On advice to Alex Glenn.
"Get to know your players. Come down to their level and spend time with them. At some stage you are going to have to trust them. You need to believe in each other. He just has to do it his way and lead from the front. You can’t be sitting around telling guys what to do if you are not going to be do it yourself. He is a perfect choice. Expectations are high because of the calibre of the captains we have had – Locky (Darren Lockyer), Kevvie (Kevin Walters), Gorden Tallis, Wally Lewis. It is prestigious company. It’s the most talked about captaincy role in the NRL."

On having flashbacks from losing the Grand Final to the Cowboys.
"I do and I still am. It’s so hard because when you go close different little things just keep going around in your mind. I was happy to retire. When that games finished I was so upset. Then I was relieved it was over. Then you go through the stage where you wish you could rewrite that last chapter."

On lessons going from player to commentator.
"I have learnt that once you say something it is out there and you cannot take it back. I have enjoyed it. It’s the next best thing to playing. You are paid to be honest and say things but it’s hard because you know you may not know the full story and there couple be something going on in a players life. That’s why when I criticise someone I often refer it to myself and put myself in that situation."

On where he would like to coach.
"Anywhere to be honest but I am in no rush. I am learning a lot under Kevvie Walters at Origin level and he was very good to me when I was a player. I would love to coach Origin one day but being an NRL coach would be my big goal. I was told there has not been an indigenous coach win the NRL."

McHunt

If he has any interest in high end league coaching, he needs to give up the boxing ASAP. I don't believe you can do both.

He needs to give up boxing ASAP because he's not very good at it and he might get hurt. Unless he goes the SBW style career of fighting fat hobos and cheating to beat an over the hill former champion.
He has the crowd advantage that people might pay to see him shut up. I reckon a Hodges vs Ennis might put a few bums on seats.

I think he's definitely doing the right thing at Origin level to be able to step in to that Head Coach role down the track.

He'll have already worked with the young guys coming into the squad in the next few years in his Rep Coaching duties and having spent time in camp with Kevvie he would be very well positioned to take on the Head Coach role there at some point.

He strikes me as a perfect Origin Coach as they can recruit Assistant's for any of the technical aspects that he may need support in, but given Origin is elite players coming together and the Coaches role is primarily making sure everyone is in the right head space for Camp and Game Day, Hodgo seems like a brilliant fit for achieving that.

Boxing is boring compared to mma

Boxing is boring compared to mma
Boxing has stood the test of time, I find it far more interesting than 2 opponents rolling around on the ground trying to wrap their legs around one another. There are gameshows that have been popular longer than mma.

Last edited:
Boxing has stood the test of time, I find it far more interesting than 2 opponents rolling around on the ground trying to wrap their legs around one another. There are gameshows that have been popular longer than mma.

The Ground game is a beautiful art. They hug each other just as much in boxing but at least it has more substance in mma. If wilder knocked fury down the way he did in mma it would have been a clear finish on the ground instead they are separated, fury gets back up and it becomes a controversial draw.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • NSW stables
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.