Q-CUP Intrust Super Cup 2019

Jets' Sam Walker player of the nationals and picked for Australian School Boys.

Broncos Reece Walsh, JJ Clarkson and Brendon Piakura also made the Schoolboys.

Walsh was Man of the Match in 2/4 clashes, Clarkson also picked up MotM honours.

Broncos Reece Walsh, JJ Clarkson and Brendon Piakura also made the Schoolboys.

Walsh was Man of the Match in 2/4 clashes, Clarkson also picked up MotM honours.

Savage’s three tries v NSW were great. Raiders have a good player there. Two in the final too. Unbelievable speed and footwork.

Last edited:
Savage’s three tries v NSW were great. Raiders have a good player there.

Yeah, I was hoping you wouldn't bring him up, I'd love for the Broncos to be affiliated with more exciting outside backs. It's telling that he was originally with the Roosters. They certainly have a type and they're not afraid to come to the table with the biggest offer for an outside back. I'm sure it extends further, maybe to Sing or Hegarty but it was like they got a taste of Hodges and wanted more like him.

If Savage is to make it in the NRL, the Raiders are far from the worst choice. They have a knack of producing quality outside backs and they're not afraid to play the type of footy to showcase them.

I was looking at the next generation coming through to see what names to keep an eye out for. Saw Robert Toia and must have said 'please not Sydney' five times until I learned the disappointing truth. They reckon the most exciting prospect of the bunch is with the Broncos regardless, but I miss the days of Hancock, Carne, Renouf, Sailor.

Herbie was very effective last night, I just love the way he positions himself to take advantage of the run, gets in between guys and utilises his arm and legs body. He gets the most out of every contact. Made a few handling errors but good game.

Shibba was back but I really felt he was ineffective, Jets went at him and he kept turning in not effective at all in defence.

Freezing at Tweed watching Coates play his second game just on half time and ironically Taylor helping a Bronco.

Last edited:
Watching that qld cup game today... Vudogo seems very lazy, and his defence is attrocious. Shame because physically he seems a freak. Gave up on a kick chase he had a chance at. Terrible on field attitude. If we lose any of our hookers Cherrington could be a good pick up as a bench option. Tagataese is putting in and love his runs but he still seems too unfit to cut it in the nrl, he'd be stuffed after 10 minutes. If he showed this effort last year he could have nailed down a spot off the bench but too late now. Every game I've watched of linc port he has impressed me. He is one of those reserve grade players who could have a had a real go in the nrl if things fell his way and an opportunity presented itself. Fensom looked good but you can see why others have overtaken him. He doesn't dent the line at all and has no footwork, he's a great player playing in the wrong era I believe. Niu showed more than I've ever seen from some past games I watched. Seems to have very good game awareness which is vital for a fullback. His talent isnt mind blowing but he could forge a decent career ahead.
[automerge]1564290040[/automerge]
Freezing at Tweed watching Coates play his second game just on half time and ironically Taylor helping a Bronco.
Helping a bronco?

Last edited:
Jesse Arthars v Perese today, I thought Arthars had the best of him the try that got the Bears back to 14-14 was Perese coming in for no reason and he got injured doing it but then scores a great try stepping back inside at inside shoulders and scores the winner for Dolphins.

Still that completely un-needed movement in defence.

Wynnum did well to come away with that 18-2 victory. They lost Drew and Dearden through out the match, had Cronin in the bin at a crucial juncture yet somehow were able to keep Easts away. In fairness the Tigers actually crossed the line on three occassions, but were denied by the referee on all of them. The toughest was the no-try against Svendsen who had it taken off of him because Kata, who had no real bearing on the play, was off-side and in the vicinity of the ball.

The Seagulls just controlled possession better than Easts. They weren't afraid to get into the arm-wrestle where as the Tigers kept inviting Wynnum into it with errors. When they got through their sets, Easts actually looked more dangerous with the football, but they just lacked the finness.

Dearden played within himself. The Seagulls kept his role simple and for the most part he executed well, aside from an attempted bomb into the corner that went all of 10m. Outside of that, whenever he was called upon, he made the most of it and Easts struggled to get a hold of him. He reminds me of Milford in that he's deceptively strong and can operate in tight spaces. There were a few times where he brushed aside the inside defender after he got a good shot on him. Also like Milford, he has a great short ball and he should have had a try assist, Tate dropped an absolute sitter.

Gebbie was mostly strong at the back. It's hard to be overly critical of a player who scored a length of the field match-winner, but he's far from the finished product. His running game is a good base, but he's got to develop other parts of his game if he wants to make it in the NRL. I'm happy he pulls an Olam and just keeps improving year in, year out but there's still a bit of a 'the good, the bad and the ugly' about his game.

Similar thought process with Templeman. He's one of Rugby League's great mysteries to me. In 2013 he was one of the top prospects in the NYC and it seemed like it was only a matter of time before he'd make a splash in the NRL. Since then his career has been plagued with inconsistensy and he's struggled to even make the side. He has certain qualities that would make him an elite NRL player, but he's just let down by his technique and thought process.

Tualau who is on a train and trial deal at the Broncos, was no frills one way or another. Got through his work with no fuss but he was barely noticeable.

Of the Melbourne contingent, Aaron Pene looked the most exciting. Strong runner of the football and also has some pace about him. He's a bit raw at this stage, but if Bellamy can apply some polish to his game, Melbourne will have another monster on their hands. With Fa'asuamaleaui they still have a lot of competition for spots.

Norths Devil stream is up.

Norths lead 18-0. O'Sullivan, Farnworth and Dargan the try-scorers.

Make that 18-4, Bob Blair just ran through O'Sullivan.

Last edited:
Norths Devil stream is up.

Norths lead 18-0. O'Sullivan, Farnworth and Dargan the try-scorers.

Make that 18-4, Bob Blair just ran through O'Sullivan.

Sully's try assist there too was nice.

Frei runs off of O'Sullivan, breaks through a tackle and lunges over.

24-4.

27 gone.

Last edited:
I've seen enough. SOS in, Darius to somewhere else.

O'Sullivan looked to have put Frei over again, but the referee's pull him back for the Cooper Cronk pass.

Great cut out pass from Dargan and Farnworth bags a double.

30-4 Norths HT.

Last edited:

Active Now

• RolledOates
  • Culhwch
  • Manifesto
  • Hoof Hearted
  • leon.bott
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Mr Fourex
  • broncsgoat
  • Organix
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • LittleDavey
  • Fatboy
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.