Is Josh McGuire really that good?

K

kluppy

QCup Player
Feb 2, 2010
I'm sorry but i just don't see it. Don't get me wrong, i can't knock his work rate or attitude but i don't think he really offers much venom in attack or defence. There are front rowers in this comp who are running for well over 100m each and every week and Josh McGuire is certainly not one of them. In my opinion, there is not a snowflakes chance in hell of us winning a comp with him as our no. 1 prop.

let the abuse begin.........

You're in for a hiding to nothing... :laugh:

Meh I absolutely disagree but respect your right to an opinion.

You must not pay attention to the broncos game. The prop rotation is ten times better under Wayne we don't have McGuire getting exhausted or any other prop, we are keeping than fresh instead of what griffinball did. Parker comes off way more than last year, he's tackles are no where near and he's metres are no where near past year aswell. Does that mean we don't win a comp with Parker at lock?!!! Bennett rotation is absolutely a massive improvement on last year. It's a team spot players don't have to be making 100 metres every game anymore. Do the math
Gallen 200 every other cronulla prop like 50m. Every prop in the broncos are all close to 100.. Do the math! But if you want a ball hog prop like gallen go support the shonkies. Bennett is a mastermind.

He's great for his size and he can play 80 minutes as a prop if needed. That's rare. If he had another 10cm and 10kg on him, he would be unstoppable but a worker like McGuire is a just as valuable as a wrecking ball.

He's great for his size and he can play 80 minutes as a prop if needed. That's rare. If he had another 10cm and 10kg on him, he would be unstoppable but a worker like McGuire is a just as valuable as a wrecking ball.

i agree if he was a bit bigger he could be outstanding, and for his size he is ok but i still think we need that wrecking ball prop. our forwards in general are pretty ineffective when we come up against a big pack, in attack at least.

You're in for a hiding to nothing... :laugh:

Ha ha ha, yeah i figured i might be. i just thought there may have been some like minded souls out there to have my back. it appears i may have been mistaken....

He isn't designed to be the sort of prop that runs for 150 metres every week, he's the sort of prop who does the dirty work out of our own end when we're in trouble and makes as many tackles as he is physically able.

We need Blair (Or someone else) in the #10 jersey to be making the big metres.

You must not pay attention to the broncos game. The prop rotation is ten times better under Wayne we don't have McGuire getting exhausted or any other prop, we are keeping than fresh instead of what griffinball did. Parker comes off way more than last year, he's tackles are no where near and he's metres are no where near past year aswell. Does that mean we don't win a comp with Parker at lock?!!! Bennett rotation is absolutely a massive improvement on last year. It's a team spot players don't have to be making 100 metres every game anymore. Do the math
Gallen 200 every other cronulla prop like 50m. Every prop in the broncos are all close to 100.. Do the math! But if you want a ball hog prop like gallen go support the shonkies. Bennett is a mastermind.

yeah but i reckon the best games josh has had for us are when he has played 60-80 minutes. that has allowed the coach to rotate other forwards. If we had a couple of really big guys to get a roll on josh would be much more effective because he is reasonably quick across the ground and could keep the opposition on the back foot.

i agree if he was a bit bigger he could be outstanding, and for his size he is ok but i still think we need that wrecking ball prop. our forwards in general are pretty ineffective when we come up against a big pack, in attack at least.

Yep, I'd love to have a guy like Klemmer or the Burgess brothers starting as prop next to McGuire. Shame Hala didn't work out.

I respect your right to have an opinion but it is a ridiculous one imho. Josh McGuire is not only one of our best forwards but one of our best players, I can't even see how this is debatable.

If you are looking at stats for any of our forwards you are going to be disappointed compared to some other teams as bennett teams generally share the workload between the forwards.

You comment on other forwards making more metres yet if you look at guys like Paul Gallen they are mostly ineffective because he doesn't look to promote the ball at the right times.

this thread smacks of someone that doesn't actually watch our matches just checks out the stats

He's a great toiler and makes a good number of meters after hitting the line. However would work really well with a prop that can smash and bend the line to get them on the back foot. Wallace is evolving into that and gavet may have been that. We really need someone like buegess/klemmer/tapau.

He's a great toiler and makes a good number of meters after hitting the line. However would work really well with a prop that can smash and bend the line to get them on the back foot. Wallace is evolving into that and gavet may have been that. We really need someone like buegess/klemmer/tapau.

yeah this is mostly how i see him, maybe Garbutt might be able to fill the big guy roll for us but it seems he's a ways down the prop rotation ladder.

I respect your right to have an opinion but it is a ridiculous one imho. Josh McGuire is not only one of our best forwards but one of our best players, I can't even see how this is debatable.

If you are looking at stats for any of our forwards you are going to be disappointed compared to some other teams as bennett teams generally share the workload between the forwards.

You comment on other forwards making more metres yet if you look at guys like Paul Gallen they are mostly ineffective because he doesn't look to promote the ball at the right times.

this thread smacks of someone that doesn't actually watch our matches just checks out the stats

yeah i watch every game, and i don't see Josh dominating teams like the burgess boys, fafita, gallen, scott, graham, jwh and woods have and in most cases continue to do. i do agree he is one of our best forwards, i just don't think the sun shines from his behind like most people on here do.

yeah i watch every game, and i don't see Josh dominating teams like the burgess boys, fafita, gallen, scott, graham, jwh and woods have and in most cases continue to do. i do agree he is one of our best forwards, i just don't think the sun shines from his behind like most people on here do.

They are all bigger props. Josh is smaller and really is probably a lock but he won't be until Parker retires.

No one says the sun shines out of his arse, just gives him the credit he is due

It's a question of mobility vs monstrosity. Each have their place. For mine, McGuire is mobile, fast and could be used a bit better in that respect, like when he played lock for Tonga or whoever. He is very quick for a prop and we could use his speed to better effect by playing him wider now and then maybe.

As it stands, I found his game last night superb: over 10m per carry, always going forward and defending really well. He was a machine.

I'd like to see him work a lot more with Milford and/or Hunt in their red zone.

Garbutt for mine is the ideal partner for Josh. I was impressed by Garbutt last night: strong, defended well and most importantly, always looked to offload. I thought McGuire and all our props were impressive.

And yes, I think McGuire really is that good.

Last edited:

Active Now

• jd87
  • GCBRONCO
  • Redux
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Fozz
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Jedhead
  • bb_gun
  • ezpz
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • broncsgoat
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.