Is Lachlan Maranta Really That Bad?

So I am going to base this answer of this year. At the time of writing the answer is no. He needs confidence first and foremost. It is essential in this position, like a striker in soccer confidence is everything. It is the driving force behind show time plays, length of the field breaks, bomb defuses and anything else. At the moment I am prepared to let this play out. His performance was up to NRL standard last week. The only thing I could be negative about is something I brought up last week, he needs to back himself and pin his fucking ears back heltar skelta for the try.

On Vidot, I am a fan. But I am in know way blind to his short comings. He bombed as many tries last year as Maranta, he missed more tackles, made poor defensive reads and cost us points in attack and defence. This played out in the wigan game. He has a bad habit of coming when he should not and can not turn on a dime for the chase.

Oats is by far in my opinion the best of the bunch and he is a second row forward. He offers the exact same as Vidot, with better reads in defence, good finishes but needs a bit more time under the high ball. The thing is I doubt vidot or maranta score of that terrible read ball off the ground.

Funny thing is, I think Maranta would look equally impressive/unimpressive regardless of what level he played on the wing. In Origin, holding the ball and not conceding errors or penalties is king.

But I can't see it happening and frankly it shouldn't happen. Even if their looking at the combination with Hodges being a positive, Origin in more recent years has been about taking advantage of opportunities when they arise, because they are increasingly rare. And I can't see Maranta scoring a try unless it is handed to him on a platter.

It could work.

Thurston, Cronk and Slater could get him over the line.

The amount of tries someone scores doesn't really show how great a player someone is or how well they played. Alex Johnston is an example of this, I think he has some great finishing skills but is a bit 'meh' elsewhere, I rate him as a solid player. In Marantas case on Friday night he did what was needed of him and played solidly, beside from that line break he didn't make that many meters iirc.

Yes. He "only" made 198m. Take 90m for the break and he "only" made 100m. ie 45m more than Gillette and more than any other back except for Kahu (122m).

Last edited:
The amount of tries someone scores doesn't really show how great a player someone is or how well they played. Alex Johnston is an example of this, I think he has some great finishing skills but is a bit 'meh' elsewhere, I rate him as a solid player. In Marantas case on Friday night he did what was needed of him and played solidly, beside from that line break he didn't make that many meters iirc.

I was being sarcastic. Thats how those teams of the week etc work.

Funny thing is, I think Maranta would look equally impressive/unimpressive regardless of what level he played on the wing. In Origin, holding the ball and not conceding errors or penalties is king.

But I can't see it happening and frankly it shouldn't happen. Even if their looking at the combination with Hodges being a positive, Origin in more recent years has been about taking advantage of opportunities when they arise, because they are increasingly rare. And I can't see Maranta scoring a try unless it is handed to him on a platter.

What you mean like most of boyds tries outside of Inglis? ;)

What you mean like most of boyds tries outside of Inglis? ;)

While I won't pretend that Boyd has never benefited from Inglis' work, It's equally true that Maranta would have bombed half of them. And I feel sorry for Lachlan every time I have to be honest like that. I know what will cheer me up - reminiscing about JYY!

While I won't pretend that Boyd has never benefited from Inglis' work, It's equally true that Maranta would have bombed half of them. And I feel sorry for Lachlan every time I have to be honest like that. I know what will cheer me up - reminiscing about JYY!
So generous of you!

only for a split second until you realise we no longer have him running around for us ... it is a tragedy that his career was cut short when shit stains like ferguson get to continue theirs.

damn, i just made myself sad :Cry:

QLD would seriously have to have the worst backline injury crisis the sport has ever seen for Maranta to get a gig

O'Niell almost got a gig for QLD once... our wing depth is horrible. If O'Niell gets a mention, anyone can.

Maranta is awful. But even if he did play Dane Neilsen would probably still be the worst player we've had in the backs.

That's not what I said.
You can't teach instinct, talent or ability.

You may be able to improve techniques, tackling, speed, etc... but not any of the above.

Maranta's decision making and coordination when in possession of the ball is just absurd. I can't see that improving much, no matter how hard he works.

The only talents you cant teach are balance and speed. even these can be improved

The only talents you cant teach are balance and speed. even these can be improved
And you can't teach instinct either, which is what he lacks most imo.
Coordination and balance are different words for the same thing, and although Maranta has improved in those aspects, he's still well below par.

Unread

Active Now

• Lurker
  • theshed
  • teampjta
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.