PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

Brenton nikora is probably just ahead of him at the moment but 1 or 2 more games like he has had the last 3 weeks an Payne will overtake him for sure. Its a long season.

* Briton * Nikora was being talked up as a potential Rookie Of The Year during the Sharks game, alongside one other who was not from one of the two teams playing (can't remember who). Haas was not mentioned.

Haas could fly under the radar because he doesn't even look like a rookie, he's playing like a 3 or 4 season regular, and already playing Origin.

The judges might be too stupid to realise he's only 10 games into his career.

Last edited:
* Briton * Nikora was being talked up as a potential Rookie Of The Year during the Sharks game, alongside one other who was not from one of the two teams playing (can't remember who). Haas was not mentioned.

Maika Sivo?

Xerri could get it if he keeps scoring tries. Catches the eye with his speed, tho surely Haas is more than catching the eye by just dominating teams at 19

As much as I’d prefer to wrap the big fella in cotton wool for the broncos and as much as it hurts to see him as a blue. I am very excited to see how he goes on at that level.

What a machine.

With respect to the Dally M's........player of the year goes to the guy with the most points, right?

And you get points for playing well in games, yeah?

So what happens when the best players miss games because they have been picked for Origin?

How are they not disadvantaged?

Last edited:
Yeah but other years it has been possibly 2 rounds....

I'm just wondering how the disadvantage is dealt with, or perhaps it's just ignored

If you miss any games due to injury, suspension or Origin then you're shit out of luck.

It's up to the players to make up for that.

But I don't think I've seen Origin impact the final result.

Playing Origin at 19 years of age, pretty much says it all about this kids trajectory.

With respect to the Dally M's........player of the year goes to the guy with the most points, right?

And you get points for playing well in games, yeah?

So what happens when the best players miss games because they have been picked for Origin?

How are they not disadvantaged?

Players are eligible to receive points for the Dally M Player of the Year in all NRL Premiership matches only (each player's best 21 point-receiving matches will be taken into account, allowing for the stand down rounds during the Origin period);

I really don't want to see that, why couldn't he be a QLD'er??
Would like nothing better then to see him out there in Maroon with young Fifita and Joffa but still get a kick knowing the experience he will gain by playing origin (even with the Blues) will serve the Broncs well when the time comes down the track.

Would like nothing better then to see him out there in Maroon with young Fifita and Joffa but still get a kick knowing the experience he will gain by playing origin (even with the Blues) will serve the Broncs well when the time comes down the track.

It could also destroy him.

The Origin arena makes or breaks players, especially players that have never experienced such pressure in their life. The players it does break, some of them never truly recover.

I don't think this will happen to Haas, but it's possible. I guess we have to hope for the best. If we want to play in the finals this year, we can't have a mentally damaged Haas in the side.

The Origin arena makes or breaks players, especially players that have never experienced such pressure in their life. The players it does break, some of them never truly recover.

I don't think this will happen to Haas, but it's possible. I guess we have to hope for the best. If we want to play in the finals this year, we can't have a mentally damaged Haas in the side.
Yet we persist with Hunt.

TBH I think the fact he comes back from being knocked out in his first game, and then suffering a season ending injury in his 2nd (or 3rd?) game, he'll be mentally in good shape for most of his career.

He probably thought he was bulletproof when he first started, now he knows it's a lot harder than he first thought (maybe, he seems pretty grounded, but perhaps those incidents early on has helped shape that).

Last edited:

Sometimes, I find, it’s better to look at the positives. If you decide to take that view then David Fifita is also in the same boat. I elect to see what good can be achieved by the selection of our young players. That said, I can remember a young red headed Broncos player, who’s name escapes me, was selected to play for Australia against the Kiwis and they bashed him. Never the same again afterwards.

Sometimes, I find, it’s better to look at the positives. If you decide to take that view then David Fifita is also in the same boat. I elect to see what good can be achieved by the selection of our young players. That said, I can remember a young red headed Broncos player, who’s name escapes me, was selected to play for Australia against the Kiwis and they bashed him. Never the same again afterwards.
Brad Meyers?

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Bish
  • Foordy
  • Redux
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behold
  • Porthoz
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Accept
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Pablo
  • winslow_wong
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.