PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

I understand 2020 has been a hell of a tablespoon of shit to take straight down the gob folks, but gee whiz keep a little bit of sense about you. Haas has been carrying this pack on his shoulders for most of the season.

The fact so many of you get triggered by him even being questioned, really shows he is overrated. Nobody has actually argued against any of the points I made or shown them to be wrong.

Hass is like tedesco. Tedesco was really good at the tigers, but when joining the roosters and put in a system that utilises him appropriately, he is a golden boot winner.

Hass is a really good player in the current broncos team. If he were in a system that utilises him and his skills well, he would be the best forward in the league. Hopefully with a new coaching staff we can provide that system.

19-20 year old.
Dally M prop of the year.
Fourth (IIRC) in overall Dally M voting.
What a dud.

Sure, he’s regressed this year, but look around him. Everyone has gone to mud.

The fact so many of you get triggered by him even being questioned, really shows he is overrated. Nobody has actually argued against any of the points I made or shown them to be wrong.

Between your username and the use of puerile crap like "triggered" tells me that you really aren't someone to be taken all that seriously.

Haas has averaged 178 metres a game and 94% tackle efficiency in the worst year in the clubs history. You're talking shit.

I think to a certain degree teams have worked out how to blunt him a little. I still dont think for a bloke his size either he is physical enough and he hasnt learned how to bring that physicality into his game. It will come. I've got no doubt he will adapt and improve next year. We havent managed him or Carrigan for that matter well at all. Forwards their age shouldn't be playing massive minutes.

Between your username and the use of puerile crap like "triggered" tells me that you really aren't someone to be taken all that seriously.

Haas has averaged 178 metres a game and 94% tackle efficiency in the worst year in the clubs history. You're talking shit.
So you just attack the person, not the point. You mention his high metres, and not discuss my point about him exclusively taking 4th hitup, and rarely doing hard carries. Talk of this high tackle efficiency, but forget about the 4-5 tries he conceded due to horrible defence?

I guess it's easier to attack the person about stuff like that when you can't disprove their point.

I think to a certain degree teams have worked out how to blunt him a little. I still dont think for a bloke his size either he is physical enough and he hasnt learned how to bring that physicality into his game. It will come. I've got no doubt he will adapt and improve next year. We havent managed him or Carrigan for that matter well at all. Forwards their age shouldn't be playing massive minutes.
Carrigan is a type of player who should be playing big minutes. He isn't an impact player. He needs to be less involved in attacking zones, but he has been really high quality all year, especially considering experience.

I didn't address Kikau because he is a edge runner, always has been. Haas is a prop and always will be. He can barely defend in the middle, and you want him out defending an edge? Sure if he wants to try some crash ball out wide go for it, but he is not an edge. Because he can't defend 80mins in the middle you think he should be moved? How about seeing if he can handle it for 50mins like most other props.

Oates isn't skillful enough to be an edge backrower, he tucks the ball under both arms and hits the line hard, as an edge backrower you need to have some skill and threaten a pass, he should be used for more crash ball closer to the line. He is an absolute weapon on the wing, but has had a trash year like the rest of the team. Riki has a lot of potential, needs some more minutes this year, I don't understand why we keep using Kennedy and Teo when we can be giving young blokes lots of minutes like Riki and Bull.

Because thats all we needed this year isnt it, throwing more unproven kids to the wolves. Its what helped get us into this mess in the first place. I still laugh when i think of people on here who just wanted us to throw all these kids with bags of " Potential " into the side. They got their wish, and its the worst season in our history. It doesnt work and it never will work. The only hope you have is when you get a team like Penrith where a lot of them have come through the grades together from a young age. We dont have that system here at Brisbane.

Haas is not overrated at all. He's been doing exactly what has been asked of him all year and then some. Some of his cover defence this year has been nothing short of Gillett like. He's a kid and will be even more highly rated in a couple of years when he plays proper minutes and has gained the experience that only playing in the NRL can bring.

I fully agree with others on here and fear that the big fella has not been developed properly and we may be in danger of burning him out. I'm glad he's been allowed some more time with his family as the rest is well earned even though it means we'll miss him enormously against the Eels.

Carrigan is a type of player who should be playing big minutes. He isn't an impact player. He needs to be less involved in attacking zones, but he has been really high quality all year, especially considering experience.

He really isnt the type of player who should be playing long stints. He can do it, but like somebody said previously, just because you can, doesnt mean you should. Anyone with half a brain can see you dont run forwards into the ground if you want them to have any longevity in their careers. Put him back to being a starting prop and we will get a lot more out of him. Carrigan, Lodge, Haas and one of TPJ or Flegler gives you a very solid front row rotation with plenty of impact with players already on our books.

I think the fact that so many posters are 'triggered' probably has more to do with the poster than the topic.

Anybody who thinks Haas is overrated clearly doesnt have a grasp on the game of Rugba Leeg.

So you just attack the person, not the point. You mention his high metres, and not discuss my point about him exclusively taking 4th hitup, and rarely doing hard carries. Talk of this high tackle efficiency, but forget about the 4-5 tries he conceded due to horrible defence?

I guess it's easier to attack the person about stuff like that when you can't disprove their point.
I'd suggest you go rewatch all the games if you think only takes the fourth hitup. He's normally always the first or 2nd hitup. You might see him running the 4th hitup but in that case it would be him doing his 2nd up of the set

Absolutely. For mine, given a faster game in the middle, intelligent use of your best middle resources is critical. 80 minutes is a joke. It's a coaching issue.
As for Haas's defence, same as almost the entire team - a coaching issue, which is why I would like to see Kearney as defence coach.

Saying Haas is overrated without looking at the context of this unbalanced, poorly coached roster is oversimplifying things to the point it becomes meaningless.

Last edited:
Does anyone think Carrigan should start as prop with TPJ and Flegler and Glenn 2nd Row then Riki in Lock? Bench can be Oates, Lodge, Haas and Teo.

I'd suggest you go rewatch all the games if you think only takes the fourth hitup. He's normally always the first or 2nd hitup. You might see him running the 4th hitup but in that case it would be him doing his 2nd up of the set
Yes someone should definitely rewatch some games.

Absolutely. For mine, given a faster game in the middle, intelligent use of your best middle resources is critical. 80 minutes is a joke. It's a coaching issue.
As for Haas's defence, same as almost the entire team - a coaching issue, which is why I would like to see Kearney as defence coach.

Saying Haas is overrated without looking at the context of this unbalanced, poorly coached roster is oversimplifying things to the point it becomes meaningless.
I mentioned how he is used in my opening post. People are so upset and think I'm saying he isn't a good player.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Morkel
  • Broncosgirl
  • bazza
  • Allo
  • Harry Sack
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.