PLAYER Payne Haas Discussion

Not going to argue with my point? Or just going to be a smart arse?
You are wrong when you say he takes 1st and 2nd hitups. He often doesn't. Most sets he sits behind our ruck and then takes a hitup on the 4th, generally making 10-12m. It's stat padding (Not saying it's his fault, again back to tactics) and I think he needs to start doing some of the hard carries.

You are wrong when you say he takes 1st and 2nd hitups. He often doesn't. Most sets he sits behind our ruck and then takes a hitup on the 4th, generally making 10-12m. It's stat padding (Not saying it's his fault, again back to tactics) and I think he needs to start doing some of the hard carries.
Look I know I have watched every single minute of every single game this year, but I can guarantee you what you are saying is incorrect. He is probably our best at taking hard carries. And the other thing that may be making you think he is taking the soft carries is that forward pack isn't normally back for the first couple hitups

Someone ban this numpty for life, how dare he insult the great Haas.
Get the hell out of here troll.

I mentioned how he is used in my opening post. People are so upset and think I'm saying he isn't a good player.

I'm not upset at all. And yes you did put context to your opening post however from there, your commentary to me at least, wandered off, and sounded like it was critical of him as player. Given Haas is possibly one of the most liked players on here, and for bloody good reasons, no wonder a lot of posters get a little twitchy when he is criticised for things that can largely be attributed to coaching and not his intrinsic skills and talent. Anyway, that's how I saw it.

Last edited:
Look I know I have watched every single minute of every single game this year, but I can guarantee you what you are saying is incorrect. He is probably our best at taking hard carries. And the other thing that may be making you think he is taking the soft carries is that forward pack isn't normally back for the first couple hitups
*I haven't watch every game. Excuse the typo

Ignore the people who only want to attack you instead of arguing any points you raised. They are are the same ones you see on Bronxnation berating anyone who criticises the team.

I don’t think he’s overrated but I do think the fans and media need to recalibrate their expectations of a player playing his 2nd full year in the toughest position in the game.

Victim of his own talent in some regards.

Last edited:
OK guy that hasn't watched all the games. But as someone who has watched every game on TV excluding the ones I was at live, over the past 6 weeks I've paid close attention to Haas. He has a lot to work on. All the talk about how good he is, I just don't think he is good enough to make the NSW side at the moment. He'd walk into QLD side.

OK guy that hasn't watched all the games. But as someone who has watched every game on TV excluding the ones I was at live, over the past 6 weeks I've paid close attention to Haas. He has a lot to work on. All the talk about how good he is, I just don't think he is good enough to make the NSW side at the moment. He'd walk into QLD side.
I'd like to clarify I've watched all of our games, just not every minute of every game.😄 Just for clarification

Seriously man, I feel sorry for you. I couldn't stand watching every minute of every game of NRL, it is one of the most boring dramas on TV these days.

I'd like to clarify I've watched all of our games, just not every minute of every game.😄 Just for clarification

Poor you, that is a fate worse than...a lot of other fates.

I think you're pretty far off the mark calling him lazy for not getting off the line. The poor guy has just had a shit coach for almost his entire career.

Lazy players don't chase after opposition line breaks when the game is already over. Haas does it regularly.

I think you're pretty far off the mark calling him lazy for not getting off the line. The poor guy has just had a shit coach for almost his entire career.

Lazy players don't chase after opposition line breaks when the game is already over. Haas does it regularly.
His goal line defence is often lazy. He definitely has huge efforts in him though, some stuff he does is straight out of a freak show. But he needs to do the basics, and I don't think he can do that playing above 50mins.

Seriously man, I feel sorry for you. I couldn't stand watching every minute of every game of NRL, it is one of the most boring dramas on TV these days.
I keep asking for a rational explanation for why the NRL is stage managing the Broncos collapse when it's costing them money to do so and no one seems to respond. 🤔

Non-Broncos games have been pretty interesting to watch this year.

Last edited:
His goal line defence is often lazy. He definitely has huge efforts in him though, some stuff he does is straight out of a freak show. But he needs to do the basics, and I don't think he can do that playing above 50mins.
Without knowing what goes on in the guys head I can't say for certain you're wrong, but I think there are so many others in the middle that don't move off the goal line (or have line speed in general at any point of the field) that it's more likely just poor coaching that is making him look bad.

On one hand, I agree that Haas can still improve in areas of his game such as goal line defence (I would assume many do). However, you can call taking the 4th hit-up stat padding all you like but a lot of teams do use their outside backs for the first 1-3 hit ups a set as forwards do most of the defence. I can't say I have particularly noticed him taking up the easy hits either, whereas I have seen him take 2 runs a set a fair number of times.

In terms of stat padding on the defensive end, however, that 61 tackles against Penrith was padded a bit by being the third man in for a fair number I noticed. Discounting those he still would have got through a mountain of work though. The goal line defence and making strong contact in defence can and most likely will be improved with experience and quality coaching. You've got to remember that he's a young kid who's played 40 games and seemingly was brought in not long after schoolboy footy (18yo). Being I would assume the biggest bloke on the field at that level meant he probably didn't need to make as strong first contact in defence and with experience in first grade I am certain this will come. Furthermore it has got to be tough to defend strongly when he knows he's got to last 80 minutes in the middle and at times I would be surprised if he wasn't guilty of saving energy/too tired in that first contact and getting off the line area.

I keep asking for a rational explanation for why the NRL is stage managing the Broncos collapse when it's costing them money to do so and no one seems to respond. 🤔

Non-Broncos games have been pretty interesting to watch this year.
I am not sure it’s costing them money. They are catering to the many fans out there who hate the Broncos and they certainly outnumber the Broncos fans.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Waynesaurus
  • bb_gun
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Mustafur
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Organix
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • westy316
  • TimWhatley
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Financeguy
  • kiwi2
  • BroncosAlways
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.