Is Reece Robinson Any Good?

B

BroncoKiwi

Jul 19, 2008
I know there is all sorts of theories about who is to blame for recent form, and I think it's more of an attitude thing more than anything else... but what is up with Reece Robinson?

How does a guy like this get into the Broncos?
Next time he plays watch him for a few minutes. He gets lost in defence, he doesn't seem to know how to sprint at a gap, but the one thing that really gets me going is his addiction to a surrender tackle.

A guy with his size should aim behind the tackling players and look to bust the line AND KEEP DRIVING HIS LEGS - but Robinson does not do this. He daudles his way into the line and as soon as he is touched he sits down! I'm sorry but that is just plain useless... it's like he gives up - it's not touch rugby!

Put Boyd back on the wing, put Manihera in the centres with Hodges and watch the sparks fly!

I agree 100% but let's not get too harsh on Reece. He has only played a handful of 1st grade games. He will get better as he gets more experienced. But for now I say put him in Toyota cup squad so he gets used to it.

Bronco_for_life said:
I agree 100% but let's not get too harsh on Reece. He has only played a handful of 1st grade games. He will get better as he gets more experienced. But for now I say put him in Toyota cup squad so he gets used to it.

he is too old for the Toyota Cup squad, he is 21 and the Toyota cup is the u20's

My concern with Robinson is his apparent trouble with the high ball.

Yes it seems like he has been able to coast through the lower grades with no one spotting his weaknesses. Most of the things he doesnt do well is normally taught to you by the under 10's. Broncos need to have De Vere take him for some special training.

spoonbled said:
Yes it seems like he has been able to coast through the lower grades with no one spotting his weaknesses. Most of the things he doesnt do well is normally taught to you by the under 10's. Broncos need to have De Vere take him for some special training.

And maybe an AFL coach about jumping and catching the high ball.

IMO Reece is seemingly suffering the same fate as Leon Bott.

Straight from schoolboy footy, basically, through to first grade. One of our only current examples (Lockyer aside) of this happening is Hunt.

IMO Reece would've been FAR better off being thrown into the Qld Cup for a season or two to work on several elements to his game. He should have NEVER been selected over Denan Kemp in the opening matches for the year.

mick! said:

Straight from schoolboy footy, basically, through to first grade. One of our only current examples (Lockyer aside) of this happening is Hunt.

And Darius Boyd... [icon_wink

mick! said:
IMO Reece would've been FAR better off being thrown into the Qld Cup for a season or two to work on several elements to his game. He should have NEVER been selected over Denan Kemp in the opening matches for the year.

Agreed, though he's done his time in lower grades at Cronulla too. It's not like he's an 18 year old. He's 20.

Bronco_for_life said:

Okay fair enough - he is not useless, but gee he does seem out of his depth.

If there is one thing the Broncos need to to be taught is to not be satisfied with being tackled. Imagine if someone showed Dave Taylor a mirror and pointed out his size and strength, and actually convinced him to not be content with an 8 meter gain - aim for 12 meters every time, even after the first tackler gets to you. He would be devastating... :mad:

Both he and Robinson are there for their potential, but surely you need to work on developing the potential before dropping them in the deep end.

Coxy said:
mick! said:

And Darius Boyd... [icon_wink

[quote="mick!":ypmeh70h]

Agreed, though he's done his time in lower grades at Cronulla too. It's not like he's an 18 year old. He's 20.[/quote:ypmeh70h]

He is 20, I realise that, but I think it's important for young and inexperienced guys to spend a bit of time learning the culture of a club and plying their trade in the lower grades on arrival at a new home, unless they're superstars like Folau.

I agree with that. Even Lockyer did it for half a season!

is robinson even going to be at the broncos next year?

At the moment he is not first grade standard. But then again neither is Kemp. They both have the same problems - they are shocking under the high ball. But unfortunately Kemp seems to keep getting forgiven for that because he scores tries.

WTF has kemp done so wrong?? Sure he is not that great in defence but how many wingers are. One thing I will say about Kemp is that he knows how to find the line.

Beads6 said:
WTF has kemp done so wrong?? Sure he is not that great in defence but how many wingers are. One thing I will say about Kemp is that he knows how to find the line.

That's hardly a skill though, he is just always at the right place at the right time.

When we make the finals, the opposition will start to look to expose Kemp's weaknesses in defence and under the high ball when playing us.

Personally, I'd rather move Boyd to the wing, and Moon into the centres - it would be a lot safer then IMO.

Alec said:
Beads6 said:

That's hardly a skill though, he is just always at the right place at the right time.

When we make the finals, the opposition will start to look to expose Kemp's weaknesses in defence and under the high ball when playing us.

Personally, I'd rather move Boyd to the wing, and Moon into the centres - it would be a lot safer then IMO.

Your off your head.. get a clue, right place at the right time ffs have a look at some of his tries. I don;t even think he is that bad in defence he does quite well for his size IMO.

Beads6 said:
Alec said:
Beads6 said:

Your off your head.. get a clue, right place at the right time ffs have a look at some of his tries. I don;t even think he is that bad in defence he does quite well for his size IMO.

Alec is on the doobie.

Kemp reads opposition attacks very well IMO.

His only real 'glaring' defensive weakness is probably the high ball, but even then he's much better than Robinson and Michaels.

I hope he comes back from the Warriors when his contract ends, because he is an excellent winger.

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Morkel
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.