Is Todd Carney Over-rated?

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
He's won a Daly M and got his side to a grand final. However, the way the media talks about him he should be the greatest player on earth. Today he should have got the Sharks over the line against the Dragons, and in all honesty the Maroons were not at 100% throughout this year's Origin series and yet we still won. He should have got the Blues to their first series win in 7 years.

For me, he's just another playmaker, like a whole bunch of other playmakers and not one that stands out from the pack and deserves all the attention that he gets.

Thoughts?

He's the most talented NSW playmaker running around by far IMO. Of course they'd massage his balls, they don't really have anyone else to pin their hopes on. He's definitely a very good player though, but he hasn't done anything in the rep arena yet.

I don't think he's over-rated. He's rated as a good playmaker who is by far NSW's best and at a level well below Thurston and Cronk. That's pretty spot on as far as I'm concerned.

I would have DCE, Foran and Shaun Johnson before him as well. But yes he is definitely NSW's best right now.

I believe so.

Maybe it's because of his profile but the amount of credit he receives for Cronulla's turn around annoys me. Yes, he was the difference against the Panthers & Warriors but he's only one part of the Sharks turn around. How about the their front row pairing of Gibbs, De Gois and Ross which is arguably the form front row combo in the competition? What about moving Wade Graham from the halves to the forwards and the impact that's made on the left hand side for the Sharks? Is that all forgotten because Toddy is on his Kenny Powers comeback trail?

Carney at his best is great to watch, I won't deny him of that but the problem is his best doesn't occur often enough and he's the type of player who goes missing when times are tough. I don't rate players like that and the fact people wanted this ingrate ahead of Lockyer a few seasons ago during the Four Nations says it all to me.

F**k Todd Carney and all his Sydney Rooster/Cronulla Sharks supporting apologists.

F**k Todd Carney and all his Sydney Rooster/Cronulla Sharks supporting apologists.

:laugh: ........well put.

I'd rate Wade Graham above him. This guy is destined for a blues jersey. Has a certain kind of grub factor that almost guarantees it.

plus massively talented to boot.

I would have DCE, Foran and Shaun Johnson before him as well. But yes he is definitely NSW's best right now.

Absolutely. Marshall as well. That's 6 halves who are better than NSW's best.

Actually think Shaun Johnson might be the best of the lot though. There's a guy I can't rate highly enough.

I think Todd Carney is over rated 'these days' and I don't like Soward, however, I think he is better than Carney (at least equal without a doubt). Yes, he may have fallen out of form a bit but if I were a NSW selector I would have him there in the no.6 over Carney any day, he has more energy too.

Last time Soward played no.6 for NSW it was vs Locky.. and now Locky is gone and JT steps in.. just NSW not staying loyal and paying the price. But if they keep it going and we get 8 next year I certainly won't be complaining :)

Soward is much better than Carney... and he kicks goals (better record I think?).

You guys are kidding yourselves, at NRL level the only 5/8s that are better are Thurston and maybe Marshall. I hate him as much as anyone but to think otherwise is ridiculous, Foran, Johnson, DCE please.

Maybe DCE if picking a halfback.

It looks to me he has the had the footy coached out of him in favour of playing structure. I don't think he is at his best when he has to think about things but he is very good off the back of second phase or a bit of broken play.

Also his centres were insanely good (for who they are) the first half of the year and they have both dropped off in form a touch the last month.

Last edited:
Carney has bags of talent, however his downfall lies in his lack of consistency. I would even draw parallels between him and Hayne in that regard to be honest.

His 2010 season was one of the best i've seen by any half. He guided a team that the previous year finished with the spoon and the 2nd worst attacking record, to runners-up (**** the Dragons) and the 2nd best attacking record. This year he has been guiding the Sharks outstandingly and has them as premiership contenders for the first time since 2008. He can provide the X factor to a team and on his best can change the confidence of their entire attack. I agree he didn't perform to expectations in Origin but remember a fair few current Origin game breakers have had crap debuts, remember Justin Hodges. He is easily up there as one of the best playmakers in the game and will become an origin regular.

He's above average but nothing special.

As for the Dally M, well...Matt Awful won one too.

His 2010 season was one of the best i've seen by any half. He guided a team that the previous year finished with the spoon and the 2nd worst attacking record, to runners-up (**** the Dragons) and the 2nd best attacking record. This year he has been guiding the Sharks outstandingly and has them as premiership contenders for the first time since 2008. He can provide the X factor to a team and on his best can change the confidence of their entire attack. I agree he didn't perform to expectations in Origin but remember a fair few current Origin game breakers have had crap debuts, remember Justin Hodges. He is easily up there as one of the best playmakers in the game and will become an origin regular.

The chooks were a tigers brain fart away from going down week 1 of the finals.

He is massively hyped south of the tweed

He really isn't all that hyped, and never has been.
He deserved a lot of credit for the Rooster's 2010 season. He got that credit. But he's not hyped enough to be overrated. He's never received the kind of media praise that Hayne got in 2009, or that Inglis got in his rookie year, or that Barba is getting now. He never even got the kind of hype that Watmough was getting two years ago.
I think the amount of credit he gets is pretty much in line with his performance and his abilities.

I don't think so. When he is on, he is one of the best. We saw what happened in 2010 and most of the Roosters success was off his involvement. Similar to how Hayne controlled the Eels the year before. They both won the Dally M's because of it. Fast forward to this year and again his involvement along with a few other key players has the Sharks playing amazing footy so far this year, besides last week. The only real issue is his off field problems in the past that have hurt his on field form.

He really isn't all that hyped, and never has been.
He deserved a lot of credit for the Rooster's 2010 season. He got that credit. But he's not hyped enough to be overrated. He's never received the kind of media praise that Hayne got in 2009, or that Inglis got in his rookie year, or that Barba is getting now. He never even got the kind of hype that Watmough was getting two years ago.
I think the amount of credit he gets is pretty much in line with his performance and his abilities.

He was hyped plenty by a large portion of NSW numpties singing his praises in 2010. The lot of them demanding he replace Lockyer in the Australian team during the 4N and for the following year's internationals.

F*cks up on the piss a couple of times and no-one wants to know him. How NSW like.

Carney doesn't have the big games in him when he really needs it like true champions do. He's slightly above average .....not a great.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Santa
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Dazza 92
  • Foordy
  • Porthoz
  • GCBRONCO
  • Fatboy
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • TimWhatley
  • Dony Eliakim
  • MrMoore
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.