NEWS Isaako eyes big switch

I think Bellamy is more frugal than that.

He’ll probably scoop up an off contract Gideon Mosby and have him running riot with Addo Carr on the wings.
I don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NRL and if anyone like Bellamy thought he could they would have given him a starting spot years ago. Giving up on that chase would have made Bellamy put a red line through his name.

Pretty sure Holmes got messed around with a bit before he established himself as a fullback at Sharks.

Difference is that Holmes was the best winger in comp when he moved to Fullback, Isaako might not be in the top 3 wingers at the Broncos next year if one of the young guns kick on.

Watching the 9s and Isaako is a stand out for NZ. He plays well in space and broken play and is stepping and knocking off defenders. I'd say he'd be a much better fullback than winger and as he matures his consistency will likely improve. I'm gonna back him. Plus milf has to go back to 6.
Talking about 9s, ponga has looked pretty ordinary.
[automerge]1571456396[/automerge]
Pretty sure Holmes got messed around with a bit before he established himself as a fullback at Sharks.

Hopefully Jamayne proves that he really is more than a winger. Just like Holmes did. All we need Isaako to do is to put in effort (and confidence)
Yep, first several games holmes played at fullback, he couldnt catch a bomb to save his life, but he got better and i think jamayne could too.

Last edited:
I don't think he has what it takes to make it in the NRL and if anyone like Bellamy thought he could they would have given him a starting spot years ago. Giving up on that chase would have made Bellamy put a red line through his name.

At the same time, if anyone can get Gideon Mosby on track, it’s Craig Bellamy.

It just depends what his appetite for risk is these days. I’d say it’s pretty high seeing as the shuffling he has done in his backline over the course of the past couple years.

Difference is that Holmes was the best winger in comp when he moved to Fullback, Isaako might not be in the top 3 wingers at the Broncos next year if one of the young guns kick on.
The kid has an excellent work ethic. There are valid reasons for his form issues this year with what was occurring in his personal life. I think it is worth giving him a decent crack if he earns it in the pre-season and in the trials rather than just writing him off.

The kid has an excellent work ethic. There are valid reasons for his form issues this year with what was occurring in his personal life. I think it is worth giving him a decent crack if he earns it in the pre-season and in the trials rather than just writing him off.

I was one of the people saying not to write him off because of the off field things going on, he came back after his time off playing excellent, but fell back in to his shit ways pretty quickly.

I'm certainly not writing him off, but he needs to show something this year.

Yes Holmes was the best winger in the comp, but I think a lot of the criticisms of Isaako are around his defence.... I don't specifically recall Val being a great defender and the kind of defence needed at fullback is different to the wing anyway.

I wouldn't say Val was the best under the high ball either... it's not like the sharks purposefully kicked cross field bombs to him because of his dominance in the air... and if you watch a fair bit of the sharks (like I have) you would know Val's hands a pretty shit house (can drop a clean one during a play the ball).

Val's best year was when Bird was inside him and Barba was sweeping around the back. There is no doubt Val is a great finisher but he also relied on his inside men to do a fair chunk to give him an opportunity in the first place. We don't really go to the right because Boyd was so dominant running to the left.

I would say Isaako vs Val is a decent comparison. Given their biggest shortcomings are their ball playing and issues under the high ball, whereas their best asset is their ball running.

I didn't anticipate Val's rise as a serious fullback because of those shortcomings and the current need for ball playing from a fullback, but he became a top 5 fullback from no where.... if given a chance Isaako could get there, because all he really needs is a little bit of ball playing to finish off a sweep play... and he has the work ethic to improve his game.

Isaako has been very good in the nines. I remember against the titans I think maybe in the trials at start of 2018 or maybe 2019, when he was at fullback he split them open on a kick return a couple times.

He's definitely better than Boyd back there so I'd like to see it. Milford back in the halves with Dearden or Croft

I was one of the people saying not to write him off because of the off field things going on, he came back after his time off playing excellent, but fell back in to his shit ways pretty quickly.

I'm certainly not writing him off, but he needs to show something this year.
Agreed. As do quite a few others, including the coaching staff.

My only concern about Isaako is his defense. Sometimes it's under 12s standard. Multiple times this year he moved out of the way of his opponent, which is unforgivable.

My only concern about Isaako is his defense. Sometimes it's under 12s standard. Multiple times this year he moved out of the way of his opponent, which is unforgivable.

Can’t be worse than Boyd’s cover defense and I bet it’s better than Milford’s.

Last edited:
A lot of isaakos defensive issues have looked worse than they are due to his inside men going to far in leaving him no option but to target the centre and leave the winger free (looking like he's bailing positionally). He's not afraid of a 1 on 1 tackle and would prob be a better defender in cover than on the wing anyway. Also he possesses an above average passing game which would only improve in fullback. Not many chances to show it on the wing. I also think noone should be disappointed in him having an inconsistent and below par year this year. Going through the impending death of your father is thought as shit. Especially on someone as young as him. The 9s have shown he's currently our best option at fullback in my opinion.
[automerge]1571469598[/automerge]
And I'd rather we fork out $$$ on a mad halfback.

Last edited:
he came off second best and had to leave the field

Putting your body on the line is still a tick for me though. Especially after this year.

I remember when KHunt tackled Fui Fui Moi Moi (I think). KHunt got owned, the commentators and the media were all saying what a big run and hit it was from Moi Moi...but the main thing I remember was that it saved a try.

Well there is something new I've learnt today. Sounds like he was a bit of a wanker.
He was a massive tool

But I also don't think he was a very good fullback. Super 1 dimensional. Couldn't pass. Decent winger.. just had an ego that wasn't worth its weight

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • Xzei
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.