Israel Folau’s secret meeting with the Brisbane Broncos revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah not a good look I agree, but I can see why his GoFundMe account is making headway. I’m predicting there to be a massive spike in donations tomorrow afternoon once church services have finished.

I think the whole freedom of speech argument lays in the consequence that he’s received. There is no freedom of speech if consequences such as losing your livelihood are being forced as a result of that speech.

That’s not what free speech means, it means people can say what they want without fear of persecution from the government, not lack of any and all consequences.

In any line of work if you say something publicly that causes reputational damage to you employer, you will lose your employment. If you do something that you have already been warned against, you will lose your employment. End of story.

The way you paint it you make it sound like freedom of speech means you can walk into your bosses office and tell them to go **** themselves and they can’t fire you because it would infringe on your freedom of speech.

That’s not what free speech means, it means people can say what they want without fear of persecution from the government, not lack of any and all consequences.

In any line of work if you say something publicly that causes reputational damage to you employer, you will lose your employment. If you do something that you have already been warned against, you will lose your employment. End of story.

The way you paint it you make it sound like freedom of speech means you can walk into your bosses office and tell them to go **** themselves and they can’t fire you because it would infringe on your freedom of speech.

It’s a bit different when a boss sacks you over your religious belief. Would it be acceptable if the shoe was on the other foot and a boss sacked someone over their sexual preference or lifestyle belief?

Yeah not a good look I agree, but I can see why his GoFundMe account is making headway. I’m predicting there to be a massive spike in donations tomorrow afternoon once church services have finished.

I think the whole freedom of speech argument lays in the consequence that he’s received. There is no freedom of speech if consequences such as losing your livelihood are being forced as a result of that speech.
You can argue that but it's a hell of a stretch. Players aren't typical employees, they're essentially spokesmodels for whatever brands sponsor their team and code. Israel was warned about posting about gay people on instagram, agreed not to do it, then did it again anyway in full knowledge of the consequences. It's a pretty piss poor effort from him and he then tried to push the financial consequences of his actions onto other people who on the whole are far less able to afford it than he is. I wouldn't want someone like that anywhere near the team.

E:
It’s a bit different when a boss sacks you over your religious belief. Would it be acceptable if the shoe was on the other foot and a boss sacked someone over their sexual preference or lifestyle belief?
He's not being sacked for being Christian, he's being sacked for publicly continuing to speak against a marginalised group after being directed, and agreeing, to stop.

Last edited:
He hasn't been sacked for his religious beliefs. He's been sacked for bringing his employer into disrepute.

He hasn't been sacked for his religious beliefs. He's been sacked for bringing his employer into disrepute.
Not to mention breaching his employer's social media policy, which he would have agreed to abide by when he signed his contract

Really? So the social media post wasn’t the problem?
I understand he was asked to remove it and refused to do so, but that still leaves us with a social media post, which was outlining his religious beliefs..

One question that should be asked by these dipshits giving the multi-millionaire money is ...

Why does he need $3 million to fight an unfair dismissal case?

Surely, it doesn't cost anywhere near that, if it did then the unfair dismissal laws are pointless as only a very miniscule portion of people could fight them

Stepping away from the freedom of speech issue (which it isnt, it is that he breached contract stipulations), and the fact he is begging for money given the amount of money he has earned and property portfolio. What has pissed me off reading a quote from him saying "it is the fight of my life" and he has posted a go fund me page right next to people (including children) who ARE actually fighting for their lives! Fucking pull your head in dickhead and open your eyes, there are more important things than you.

I understand he was asked to remove it and refused to do so, but that still leaves us with a social media post, which was outlining his religious beliefs..
Breaching his employer's social media policy is still a legit reason for termination of contract

What the ****? How are you not getting this.

He didn’t post on Twitter “I am a Christian”. He posted something incredibly offensive to a huge group of people. A view that not all Christians agree with btw.

One question that should be asked by these dipshits giving the multi-millionaire money is ...

Why does he need $3 million to fight an unfair dismissal case?

Surely, it doesn't cost anywhere near that, if it did then the unfair dismissal laws are pointless as only a very miniscule portion of people could fight them
For $3 million you'd hope he's bringing Johnny Cochrane back from the dead to win one last case.

What the ****? How are you not getting this.

He didn’t post on Twitter “I am a Christian”. He posted something incredibly offensive to a huge group of people. A view that not all Christians agree with btw.

BUT YET STILL HIS RELIGIOUS BELIEF.
Hell awaits gays, drunks ect ect,

It baffles me that you don’t think that was his religious belief. Do you think he just made it up ?

It baffles me that you don’t think that was his religious belief. Do you think he just made it up ?
Religious beliefs don't exempt you from contracts or workplace codes. Muslims still have to pay interest on their mortgages and Muslim bank employees still have to charge interest on loans. Rastas aren't allowed to fail drug tests and Hindus don't get religious festivals off without prior agreement.

Some people's religious beliefs are to kill all infidels, that shit wouldn't float.We wouldn't give someone a pedestal to preach that shit.

Israel's tweets fly very close to hate speech.

Also important to remember there are young people that look(ed) up to him. If anyone scared a young relative of mine with that going to hell to burn forever shit I would be pissed off and damn near tear their throat out. It is pretty much a threat.

Some people's religious beliefs are to kill all infidels, that shit wouldn't float.We wouldn't give someone a pedestal to preach that shit.

Israel's tweets fly very close to hate speech.

Also important to remember there are young people that look(ed) up to him. If anyone scared a young relative of mine with that going to hell to burn forever shit I would be pissed off and damn near tear their throat out. It is pretty much a threat.

Hate speech condemning them to a hell in which they don’t believe in. The whole thing is just ridiculous, both sides

I never said I don’t think it is his religious belief, but just because he believes it doesn’t mean he can say it without consequence.

I'm not sure if people agree with me, but my "belief" is that Folau's "belief" is genuine. He's not out working on an angle, trying to make some cash on a wedge issue to whip up a few bucks.... he's genuine in his belief that his religion is the true faith.... and that the things he's tweeting are in fact, what's waiting for said groups of "sinners"?

Not hard to see where the $$$ are coming from in that case. Look at it from a specific religious angle, it makes sense. Take the reverse view, and it's completely the opposite.

I think a lot of people are concentrating more on the perceived direct hatred, and less on the fundamentalism. Plenty of folk out there quietly nodding their support for his views. Why? Because it's written in the Bible. Sure, he's paraphrasing, but it's not like you have to dig deep to find some basis for his beliefs.

He shouldn't have a leg to stand on with regards to breach of contract, but will it end up as purely a contractual battle? Like f*ck it will. Ladies and gentlemen, start you're engines, we're off the Australia's equivalent of a US Creationism rally.

He'll get his 3 million, unless GFM bounce his drive as against their policies somehow. It's going to be a sh*tshow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • unnerv1ng
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Xzei
  • Porthoz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.