It's a rap...2017 Review

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Well the year has come and now the year has gone for the Brisbane Broncos. They fought hard to acquire the third spot on the latter. What we learned is they are not a complete side capable of winning a title.

On a positive, the development of a few key big men seem to be in place. Big Joe and Pangai Jr. will both be a force next year and provide some of the size and go forward lacking in our big men. Backrowers Glen, Gillette, and Moose did their jobs well. For the most part first pick wingers Oates and Kahu had solid a solid year. Kodi showed he could cover a few positions at a reasonable level and Milford had his moments but lacked consistency.

On the negative, the team as a whole had way to large a gap from their best to worse performances. That is the huge difference between the Broncos in comparison to the Storm.

I believe that game plan and a team playing as a cohesive side was lacking. I put some of the blame on Wayne and his ego. Boyd as a captain to me isn't captain material. Just my opinion but I think he doesn't have the personality that is needed.

I think Blair who acted as captain in Boyd's absence was sub par. Besides not really being a prop, some of the dog hits (last night hitting Cronk when down 20 odd points with a few moments to go in the back was just wrong) and frankly I am happy to see him go. While he may be regarded for his so called one percenters, it doesn't make up for lots of the rubbish he serves up.

Missing McCoullough did hurt the Broncos massively. While he might not be Cameron Smith... nobody is Cameron Smith. With him you do get a guy who holds the sides in defence and offers plenty of other components and was having arguably his best season.

On a whole it was an up and down season. I think they still have a worry at Nikorima at the seven and honestly I would not give Boyd a long term deal as he is on the slope down. Also, I think we need a more progressive coach. All that said, the boys kept me on the edge of the seat through another season.

Season was shit with Injuries, out of form and then inform hunt and then thaidy position changes, 3 halfbacks to choose out of which put a lot of pressure on milford. hopefully next seasons better with injuries and we have 1 halfback and stick with it. and hot and cold form for us.

Injuries excuse is a cop out. Even with a full squad we looked disjointed, and not playing for each other. Our window is firmly locked shut for the next few years.

Injuries excuse is a cop out. Even with a full squad we looked disjointed, and not playing for each other. Our window is firmly locked shut for the next few years.

Let's hope we recruit another player or two. Hopefully the addition of Bird will help add some strike.

Hopefully some fresh blood and mindset means we can move the **** on from2015.

If the players could stop talking it up in the media and not producing that'd be great.

I think we overachieved by getting 3rd and glossed over some issues.

We need a lot more structure in attack. It's all well and good to just through the ball around and hope it comes off but looked what happened last night. The two times we ran a set play we should have scored twice!

Apart from that we looked horrible in attack because nobody knew what was coming.

I'm hoping a entire off season with Milford and Nikorima will fix this. The other thing we really to to improve on is out kicking game!!

We also need to find a way to get Roberts 100 x more ball and not just pass and hope he does something. He is such a weapon but we fail to use him. I just don't understand.

We also need to find a way to get Roberts 100 x more ball and not just pass and hope he does something. He is such a weapon but we fail to use him. I just don't understand.

Could not agree more.

There is no such thing as a premiership window. If we are more consistent next year then we will be challenging again. Bennett certainly has a few things to work on for next year.

Team list review

1. Boyd. Very good player but should not have been captain (not that their were many other obvious choices). Sets a poor example with whinging to refs rather than doing a Smith taking control with clever and controlled arguements. Doesn't lead by example with his p*** poor kick returns. Injuries and off field tragedy didn't help. Had some good choices in second phase sweep but nothing else in attack. Not enough for a fullback these days. Defensively does a lot to sure up the line but can't catch a cold once someone breaks the line. Something very wrong with his place in the team. Never liked players being coached by their dad, how would the other players feel about the obvious special treatment. Teams defence shouldn't fall apart so badly because of one player being out (even 2 if count Macca). Best example was State of Origin Billy showed what a difference he made compared to Boyd. Too slow to be a real danger and not good enough ball player except that one pass. Struggle to see him bringing us a premiership at fullback. Centre next year is only choice but won't happen. Would prefer Boyd never came then 4 more years of protected Boyd at fullback.

2. Oates. Rough year. Unfortunate illness and strangled by Moga. Hands at times are worst enemy which needs to his job in off season as well letting his inflammation settle down. In a few years will be in backrow but not yet too valuable on the wing.

3. Moga (sorry 4). Big metres, scary unit to run at you and big ticker but simply too dumb to function. Almost wonder if he is too stupid to realise his f*** ups to let them get him down. 5 shockers for each good play. Only hope is wing with very clear instructions. Catch, run hard and tackle the other winger only. Might do well in that role with a fullback keeping him in position.

4. (3) Roberts. One of favourite players to watch. Amazing speed. Threat in attack. Usually very good in defence but needs to learn more on and off the field. Love to bring the prince in as a personal mentor. Suspect main problem is how he is used but also wonder if he needs to get more involved (if Wayne hasn't told him not to). Loved seeing KNik use him mid season.

5. Kahu. Every team needs a guy like him. Safe, good goal kicker (would like more though) and team man. Groin problem was obvious second half of season. Too slow and doesn't offer enough to play fullback is now really a third string option there. Too injury prone to leave the wing.

6. Milford. Really unfortunate injury with shoulder and was gutsy to play through. Lacked consistent support in spine but at end of day if you think you deserve a million a year short of losing your head literally you need to earn it. Contract negotiations should make a champion stand up to prove their worth not undermine their value. At the end of day playing out of position (more abundantly so once defending with one shoulder). Maybe after 25 or 26 could mature into a running five eighth but is not a primary player maker or kicker so why keep trying to shoehorn him into it. What he does best is exactly in a fullbacks job description. And Boyd teaching him to use his voice to rally the defence will help him learn to do same in attack later. What a wasted 3 years (was great in 15 only because teams hadn't worked him out and Hunts form gave him freedom, essentially first year effect) only way to turn it into a hooker positive is to let the learned half skills make him a true ball playing fullback. I wonder if we have the greatest one in history to teach him available? Or is he too pig headed to use such a gift?

7. KNik. Talented and love his attuitude but less likely to become a superstar (that is ok but less so for Broncos halfback). Best role is probably supersub doing a bit of hooker and then sniffing around at float in last 20 although lacks ability to cover outside backs aside fullback. But was very good midseason and if given a proper chance was a good second string fullback. If playing in halves should be running five eight but unless Bennett pulls off a major signing is likely best candidate for halfback at start of year. Like to see him get a chance with a huge preseason but huge questions. Make or break time for next season hope he steps up.

8. Thaiday. Less said the better about his deficiencies - too many to get stuck on. Love his efforts at hooker even though was gassed and needed help at times. Played out of position was never a prop. Probably great fun to have a beer with but that is the extent of his use. Worth 200 a year and only that much because of loyalty. Qld cup next year is probably best position except origin time and maybe first 20 at hooker if desperate.

9. Hunt. Not a halfback, won't drag up all old arguements I've made already. Running five eight or hooker are only choices. Could be great hooker and was one of best late in season despite poor use as an 80 minute player which blunted him badly not only in physical tiredness but his mental fragility lets him get overwhelmed. Could even be future Aus hooker if he and St Merge get over his halfback delusion and he uses the change of scene to get over his yips from 2015. Doesn't owe us a premiership given he largely got us to GF and never doubt his effort (except for trying too hard) only his decisions.

10. Blair. Hope Warriors pay massive overs. Again second rower playing prop. Like an enforcer but cheap shots are a disgrace. Someone said it best when said he does the 1%ers best but what about the other 99%. Been hot and cold on him. This year was a disgrace especially end of year. Thanks for service and best of luck but please door let door hit your a*** on way out if that is how you finish.

11. Glenn. Good honest toilet. Tries his heart out. But struggled to hold his side of defence with one broken 'five-eight and a liability at centre. Lacks speed or power to make real threat in attack but because he tries gets metres and odd opportunity try. Prefer him not playing 80. Love to give Sua or maybe a someone with more impact on edge a chance next year.

12. Gillett. Almost favourite player but not right this year. Very good but missing his spark for some reason. Said it before. Can only imagine his back is sore from carrying the defence for so long and his heart has sunk from Wayne whispering telling him to forget hoe to offload or a run a line. Needs a long break and a fresh approach in attack.

13. Gallen mark 2. Tries hard and most consistent player in the team. Guy is a machine. And unlike his namesake isn't a total c*** at least on the field. He is still the rat? Cannot be left at lock at broncos. Might be ok for Qld as Cam Smith wouldn't stand for the constant 4th play crap (which may not be his fault if no half is capable of stepping up demand the ball). Deserves a long holiday as largely played himself out of first string Aus selection by his Gallenness. Go back to his strengths and pair with a monster prop next year and should be up for an amazing year.

Macca. Was showing better stuff this year with improvements in attack. Machine in defence who helps hold centre together but not good enough. Likely causes more loss of metres and momentum by slow service and lack of threat from dummy half than saves. Every team needs a Mick Devere style player but not at the spear of the attack. Only three jobs in off-season, knee rehab, pass quick off the ground and watch every second of Cam Smith footage ever made. Given we are stuck on a long contract and not a lot of options out there may have to make the best of it. There is no absolute need for an 80 minute hooker. Prefer him to give us 60 of faster paced quality then 80 of status quo. Would like to consider Bird at hooker ala Berrigan and use Macca for hooker relief and tackling lock late in the game.

TPJ. Injuries didn't help. Needs fitness but high hopes as impact prop next year.

Esex2. Good luck at Newcastle. Disappointing not to keep him as hopefully could have been a beast for us and while think is worth a little more than we offered but risk he will fizzle.

Offa. Hope becomes an amazing third prop. Prefer a monster to start but deserves more faith and time. While I appreciate need to avoid overexposing young players getting sick of their development being stifled by lack of faith and opportunity. Deserved more time than Thaiday or Blair combined at end of season.

Bunji. Anyone know how much tigers paid? Was worth more than 100 just for presence and coaching help. Not an 80 minute Controlling half so why try and use him as one? I know we were low but can't force a square peg in a round hole no matter how badly you need to plug it. Story of current Broncos. What a waste...

Sims. Blair mark 2. Need more Tariq and less Ashton. Needs a huge off season. Still not sure where he sits if don't have monster props for him to leverage against.

Sua. Where were you?

Arrow. Once again how much did GC offer? Would have loved to keep him and may bite us in the a**. Can't keep them all but only if we needed a genuine lock. oh wait...

Mead. 2 good games. Please be on 100 only, otherwise I hear France is nice...

Pearson. Hope he comes good next year. Unforgivable skates game in Sydney. Hodges did worse in SOO but he bounced back. My issue is sheer stupidity in it all. Someone needed to be fired for not having the idea of maybe we should have spare wet weather friendly boots... so much promise but so unwhelming on multiple occasions. Needs a big off season because he looks like a true athlete. If not as someone else said I hear Fiji produces good wingers...

Bennett. Amazing man management apparently but an under 12s coach could probably offer more in attack. I know we scored a lot of points but we're essentially flat track bullies. Defensive coaching has never looked more fragile. Had distractions this year but has to honestly ask himself if he should still be a head coach. Director of football (with some other bulls*** role that isn't counted in any Bull**** football dept cap spend) sounds nice with Walters as coach if doesn't fire next year.

Recruitment. Severe worries for next year. Need a classic Bennett offseason surprise. All I want for Christmas is a real halfback, doesn't have to be Cronk but Cronk (never going to happen since moving to Sydney). But maybe Tyrone Roberts if price is right and then Ash Taylor for 19. Ask him if he ever wants a premiership...

Team list review

1. Boyd. Very good player but should not have been captain (not that their were many other obvious choices). Sets a poor example with whinging to refs rather than doing a Smith taking control with clever and controlled arguements. Doesn't lead by example with his p*** poor kick returns. Injuries and off field tragedy didn't help. Had some good choices in second phase sweep but nothing else in attack. Not enough for a fullback these days. Defensively does a lot to sure up the line but can't catch a cold once someone breaks the line. Something very wrong with his place in the team. Never liked players being coached by their dad, how would the other players feel about the obvious special treatment. Teams defence shouldn't fall apart so badly because of one player being out (even 2 if count Macca). Best example was State of Origin Billy showed what a difference he made compared to Boyd. Too slow to be a real danger and not good enough ball player except that one pass. Struggle to see him bringing us a premiership at fullback. Centre next year is only choice but won't happen. Would prefer Boyd never came then 4 more years of protected Boyd at fullback.

2. Oates. Rough year. Unfortunate illness and strangled by Moga. Hands at times are worst enemy which needs to his job in off season as well letting his inflammation settle down. In a few years will be in backrow but not yet too valuable on the wing.

3. Moga (sorry 4). Big metres, scary unit to run at you and big ticker but simply too dumb to function. Almost wonder if he is too stupid to realise his f*** ups to let them get him down. 5 shockers for each good play. Only hope is wing with very clear instructions. Catch, run hard and tackle the other winger only. Might do well in that role with a fullback keeping him in position.

4. (3) Roberts. One of favourite players to watch. Amazing speed. Threat in attack. Usually very good in defence but needs to learn more on and off the field. Love to bring the prince in as a personal mentor. Suspect main problem is how he is used but also wonder if he needs to get more involved (if Wayne hasn't told him not to). Loved seeing KNik use him mid season.

5. Kahu. Every team needs a guy like him. Safe, good goal kicker (would like more though) and team man. Groin problem was obvious second half of season. Too slow and doesn't offer enough to play fullback is now really a third string option there. Too injury prone to leave the wing.

6. Milford. Really unfortunate injury with shoulder and was gutsy to play through. Lacked consistent support in spine but at end of day if you think you deserve a million a year short of losing your head literally you need to earn it. Contract negotiations should make a champion stand up to prove their worth not undermine their value. At the end of day playing out of position (more abundantly so once defending with one shoulder). Maybe after 25 or 26 could mature into a running five eighth but is not a primary player maker or kicker so why keep trying to shoehorn him into it. What he does best is exactly in a fullbacks job description. And Boyd teaching him to use his voice to rally the defence will help him learn to do same in attack later. What a wasted 3 years (was great in 15 only because teams hadn't worked him out and Hunts form gave him freedom, essentially first year effect) only way to turn it into a hooker positive is to let the learned half skills make him a true ball playing fullback. I wonder if we have the greatest one in history to teach him available? Or is he too pig headed to use such a gift?

7. KNik. Talented and love his attuitude but less likely to become a superstar (that is ok but less so for Broncos halfback). Best role is probably supersub doing a bit of hooker and then sniffing around at float in last 20 although lacks ability to cover outside backs aside fullback. But was very good midseason and if given a proper chance was a good second string fullback. If playing in halves should be running five eight but unless Bennett pulls off a major signing is likely best candidate for halfback at start of year. Like to see him get a chance with a huge preseason but huge questions. Make or break time for next season hope he steps up.

8. Thaiday. Less said the better about his deficiencies - too many to get stuck on. Love his efforts at hooker even though was gassed and needed help at times. Played out of position was never a prop. Probably great fun to have a beer with but that is the extent of his use. Worth 200 a year and only that much because of loyalty. Qld cup next year is probably best position except origin time and maybe first 20 at hooker if desperate.

9. Hunt. Not a halfback, won't drag up all old arguements I've made already. Running five eight or hooker are only choices. Could be great hooker and was one of best late in season despite poor use as an 80 minute player which blunted him badly not only in physical tiredness but his mental fragility lets him get overwhelmed. Could even be future Aus hooker if he and St Merge get over his halfback delusion and he uses the change of scene to get over his yips from 2015. Doesn't owe us a premiership given he largely got us to GF and never doubt his effort (except for trying too hard) only his decisions.

10. Blair. Hope Warriors pay massive overs. Again second rower playing prop. Like an enforcer but cheap shots are a disgrace. Someone said it best when said he does the 1%ers best but what about the other 99%. Been hot and cold on him. This year was a disgrace especially end of year. Thanks for service and best of luck but please door let door hit your a*** on way out if that is how you finish.

11. Glenn. Good honest toilet. Tries his heart out. But struggled to hold his side of defence with one broken 'five-eight and a liability at centre. Lacks speed or power to make real threat in attack but because he tries gets metres and odd opportunity try. Prefer him not playing 80. Love to give Sua or maybe a someone with more impact on edge a chance next year.

12. Gillett. Almost favourite player but not right this year. Very good but missing his spark for some reason. Said it before. Can only imagine his back is sore from carrying the defence for so long and his heart has sunk from Wayne whispering telling him to forget hoe to offload or a run a line. Needs a long break and a fresh approach in attack.

13. Gallen mark 2. Tries hard and most consistent player in the team. Guy is a machine. And unlike his namesake isn't a total c*** at least on the field. He is still the rat? Cannot be left at lock at broncos. Might be ok for Qld as Cam Smith wouldn't stand for the constant 4th play crap (which may not be his fault if no half is capable of stepping up demand the ball). Deserves a long holiday as largely played himself out of first string Aus selection by his Gallenness. Go back to his strengths and pair with a monster prop next year and should be up for an amazing year.

Macca. Was showing better stuff this year with improvements in attack. Machine in defence who helps hold centre together but not good enough. Likely causes more loss of metres and momentum by slow service and lack of threat from dummy half than saves. Every team needs a Mick Devere style player but not at the spear of the attack. Only three jobs in off-season, knee rehab, pass quick off the ground and watch every second of Cam Smith footage ever made. Given we are stuck on a long contract and not a lot of options out there may have to make the best of it. There is no absolute need for an 80 minute hooker. Prefer him to give us 60 of faster paced quality then 80 of status quo. Would like to consider Bird at hooker ala Berrigan and use Macca for hooker relief and tackling lock late in the game.

TPJ. Injuries didn't help. Needs fitness but high hopes as impact prop next year.

Esex2. Good luck at Newcastle. Disappointing not to keep him as hopefully could have been a beast for us and while think is worth a little more than we offered but risk he will fizzle.

Offa. Hope becomes an amazing third prop. Prefer a monster to start but deserves more faith and time. While I appreciate need to avoid overexposing young players getting sick of their development being stifled by lack of faith and opportunity. Deserved more time than Thaiday or Blair combined at end of season.

Bunji. Anyone know how much tigers paid? Was worth more than 100 just for presence and coaching help. Not an 80 minute Controlling half so why try and use him as one? I know we were low but can't force a square peg in a round hole no matter how badly you need to plug it. Story of current Broncos. What a waste...

Sims. Blair mark 2. Need more Tariq and less Ashton. Needs a huge off season. Still not sure where he sits if don't have monster props for him to leverage against.

Sua. Where were you?

Arrow. Once again how much did GC offer? Would have loved to keep him and may bite us in the a**. Can't keep them all but only if we needed a genuine lock. oh wait...

Pearson. Hope he comes good next year. Unforgivable skates game in Sydney. Hodges did worse in SOO but he bounced back. My issue is sheer stupidity in it all. Someone needed to be fired for not having the idea of maybe we should have spare wet weather friendly boots... so much promise but so unwhelming on multiple occasions. Needs a big off season because he looks like a true athlete. If not as someone else said I hear Fiji produces good wingers...

Bennett. Amazing man management apparently but an under 12s coach could probably offer more in attack. I know we scored a lot of points but we're essentially flat track bullies. Defensive coaching has never looked more fragile. Had distractions this year but has to honestly ask himself if he should still be a head coach. Director of football (with some other bulls*** role that isn't counted in any Bull**** football dept cap spend) sounds nice with Walters as coach if doesn't fire next year.

Recruitment. Severe worries for next year. Need a classic Bennett offseason surprise. All I want for Christmas is a real halfback, doesn't have to be Cronk but Cronk (never going to happen since moving to Sydney). But maybe Tyrone Roberts if price is right and then Ash Taylor for 19. Ask him if he ever wants a premiership...

Not much I can disagree with there. Well done.

Team list review

Sua. Where were you?

Just one thing, why is glenn a good honest toliet

Yeah I've come to terms 2015 was our window being shut.
Just too many question marks on our roster at the moment unless those holes are filled during the offseason.
Also Wayne's game plan needs a massive overhaul, our attacking structure looks subpar.

Just too many question marks on our roster at the moment unless those holes are filled during the offseason.
Also Wayne's game plan needs a massive overhaul, our attacking structure looks subpar.

I disagree about the attack. When we were on song, we were a fun team to watch.

What structure?

Active Now

• MasterWright
  • Bucking Beads
  • Ozired
  • winslow_wong
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Spooky1013
  • Culhwch
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • ezpz
  • eggstar10
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • Browny
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.