"It's time for Brisbane 2" - Paul White

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
Here's the link for your summary, @McHunt :

Key quotes:

“The club will be in a position to compete strongly if more competition was brought in,” he said.

“That won’t be my decision and I haven’t rallied one way or the other, but if another team does come to Brisbane one day (we will be ready).

“If you look at what’s happened interstate, particularly in the AFL, there’s no doubt city rivalry creates a great local derby. Broadcasters and other people are acutely aware of that.

“It’s not the Broncos that have held back a second team. There have been no public rallies from us. I’ve always supported the decision of the game and if that turns out to be a second team, we’re really well placed to compete.

“It should give our members, sponsors and everyone who supports our club some real confidence that we’re in a position to be advantaged either way.”

I will reserve judgement on our outgoing CEO saying something like this until after I've read Hunt's breakdown but to be frank, it's a grey area thing to say from the perspective of a supporter.

Last edited:
Only if we get an extra 2 rounds per season. Seasons are too short.

White probably wants a job launching the new club.
He isn’t a silly man.

Here's the link for your summary, @McHunt :

Key quotes:

I will reserve judgement on our outgoing CEO saying something like this until after I've read Hunt's breakdown but to be frank, it's a grey area thing to say from the perspective of a supporter.

Headline is shameless clickbait, mate. Trying to make a long interview about his final year more sensational. Nothing in it.

Story is by Travis Meyn, in the Courier Mail, Jan 19 2020

I'm just dropping the direct quotes:

On the question of a new Brisbane team:

"The club will be in a position to compete strongly if more competition was brought in. That won’t be my decision and I haven’t rallied one way or the other, but if another team does come to Brisbane one day (we will be ready). If you look at what’s happened interstate, particularly in the AFL, there’s no doubt city rivalry creates a great local derby. Broadcasters and other people are acutely aware of that. It’s not the Broncos that have held back a second team. There have been no public rallies from us. I’ve always supported the decision of the game and if that turns out to be a second team, we’re really well placed to compete. It should give our members, sponsors and everyone who supports our club some real confidence that we’re in a position to be advantaged either way.”

On the bustup with Bennett and subsequent fallout with ex players:

“I don’t think that (criticism) is fair, it’s a very different environment than the game was,” he said. They (ex-players) get frustrated with non-performance. The only way we can honour their legacy is do what they did – win premierships. The playing group knows that as well. (Bennett) is a personal thing. This role carries with it a degree of responsibility and accountability. Sometimes you lose a bit of skin along the way. I’ve lost a bit of skin at times, but I’m never a victim about that. I’m in a privileged position plenty of other people would put their hand up to do.”

On his legacy:

“The best legacy I can leave the club is that we are stronger in five years’ time than we are today because I would have done my job well. There’s a whole lot of things I’m proud of, but I’m only one piece of this whole organisation. Anything I’ve achieved is through others, not because I’m the CEO. I want to win a game of marbles so it hurts any time we lose. I am incredibly invested in all parts of the club, particularly our performance on the field. I know that’s where we are judged. ere’s a lot you can control as a CEO and some things you can’t. My role is to put everything in place and remove as many barriers in the way of good performance. In 2015 we literally went within a few seconds of reaching the promised land but it wasn’t to be. I’m not naive enough to think everyone can have a fairy tale ending but I would love to be a part of a premiership.”

On the 58-0 loss to Parramatta:

“We knew we had to take our medicine and there was plenty of it. We didn’t lose the opportunity of having a really good look at ourselves and everything. There is no complaceny at the Broncos and we have to be better. I’m definitely (comfortable with Seibold’s appointment). He is young in the game – this will be his third year as a head coach. No one was happy with where we finished last year but he’s got back to work. I’ve had the opportunity to really watch him over the last three months and I’ve been incredibly impressed. We haven’t had distractions (like during Bennett’s departure). We’ve added to our squad and have depth in key positions which we didn’t have last year. Everyone can see we’re working hard. Plenty of people have told me they’ve never seen them train as hard as we’ve trained. Hard work will get us part of the way there. The rest comes down to will, teamwork and cohesion.”

And this season:

“We all understand that we are going to be judged on the way we turn up in the first game against the Cowboys (on March 13). The pressure will be on again. There won’t be too many excuses. We’re the Broncos and we get that, but we’re heading in the right direction.”

McHunt

Headline is shameless clickbait, mate. Trying to make a long interview about his final year more sensational. Nothing in it.

this ...

if you actually read the article, rather than just the head line, you'll quickly discover that White never once said that Brisbane "NEEDS" a second team

all he ever says is that should a second Brisbane team be admitted into the comp the Broncos are strongly placed to meet the challenge.

Massive clickbait. If White didn't work for the same owners he could well be up in arms about having his words so misconstrued. Simply saying we could handle it and use it to our advantage in no way endorses it or demands it to happen.

He's 100% right though, if we get another team in Brisbane or nearby we should embrace the rivalry wholeheartedly. We should use it as a kick up the backside we probably need to make sure our own house is as 'in order' as it can be and that we are in the strongest possible position to capitalise on any momentum we can generate off the back of a new rival.

It could be huge in revitalising Rugby League in Brisbane and Queensland and that can only be a good thing, provided the right people are involved in making it happen and are doing it for the right reasons.

Last edited:
Was the quote in the thread title actually used in the headline but never said by White? Surely there is a law against that.

Was the quote in the thread title actually used in the headline but never said by White? Surely there is a law against that.
He's not exactly likely to sue the same company he currently works for in a high paying and prestigious role.

More or less, I changed it up to avoid any copyright BS.

Here are the actual Headlines:

"Paul White says Brisbane needs second NRL team"
"Broncos boss: It's time for a second Brisbane team"

Here is the quote that justifies it: "If you look at what’s happened interstate, particularly in the AFL, there’s no doubt city rivalry creates a great local derby'

It's a stretch, but they can get away with it, especially given they've provided the quote so you can make your own interpretation.

He then goes on to explain why the CM keeps pushing it:

"Broadcasters and other people are acutely aware of that. "

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.