NEWS 'I've fallen deeply in love': Reynolds grateful to Broncos for redemption shot

BHQArticleImageAdamReynolds4L

Adam Reynolds wants to repay the Broncos for teaching him to love again.

Reynolds admits he moved to Brisbane last year doubting he would ever feel the same passion he had for South Sydney, but the Broncos captain declared ahead of Sunday’s grand final against Penrith that he now loves both clubs equally.

“I was at Souths my whole life and I knew nothing different, so it's not until you step out of an organisation and find another one that you realise what's on the other side,” Reynolds said.

“I thought South Sydney was it for me, but I’m grateful for the opportunity that I've been given by the club in Brisbane, and I’ve fallen deeply in love with the club. It’s a good love story.”

Reynolds won a grand final with the Rabbitohs in 2014, but lost another in his last appearance for the club in 2021, against the Panthers, and the veteran playmaker is grateful to the Broncos for giving him a shot at redemption.

The 33-year-old halfback missed a 74th minute conversion in the 14-12 defeat that would have levelled the scores, along with a last ditch attempt to kick a two-point field goal.

“It excites me that I’m here again and I get another chance to do it," he said.

"I’m sure if I never got an opportunity to do it again it would probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

"I've experienced both sides of the grand final and it's much better sitting on that wining side."

The 33-year-old joined the Broncos in the belief that the club was on the rise, despite having finished with the wooden spoon in 2020, and their 42-12 semi-final defeat of the Warriors confirmed his view.

Comparing the 2000-strong turnout at the club's fan day on Monday to the way Souths supporters got behind their team in 2014, Reynolds said he would be "honoured" to lead the Broncos to their first premiership in 17 years.

“I love the club, I love the history of the club, I love everything about it and to add to that piece of history would be right up there with my biggest achievements," he said.

“I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think it was possible. You play against the boys at certain times and you understand what they do well and what they don't.

"You think you can fix things and change things and I think I've added a little bit to the club. I’ve got a coaching staff and the rest of the playing group to thank for that as well. Everyone's buying in, and you need that."

While the Panthers have nine players lining up for their fourth grand final, Reynolds and second-rower Kurt Capewall, who was a member of Penrith's 2021 premiership winning team, are the only Broncos to have played in a decider.

In addition, four Brisbane players - Reece Walsh, Jesse Arthars, Ezra Mam and Brendan Piakura - have never played at Accor Stadium, which Reynolds called home for 10 years, making more than 100 appearances there for Souths.

With the Rabbitohs in the State Championship final against Brisbane Tigers after beating North Sydney in last weekend's NSW Cup grand final, Reynolds expects Souths fans at the ground to get behind him and the Broncos.

“I love that stadium, I love getting down there and playing there in front of big crowds, and I expect Sunday to be no different," he said.

“They won the NSW Cup and I watched that game pretty closely. I’ve still got a lot of mates in that team, so it was good to see him get a victory.

"Obviously, they're very passionate supporters - similar to Brisbane - so I expect them to have a few fans there, and it would be great to see them."

NRL.com

View attachment 24421

Reynolds admits he moved to Brisbane last year doubting he would ever feel the same passion he had for South Sydney, but the Broncos captain declared ahead of Sunday’s grand final against Penrith that he now loves both clubs equally.

“I was at Souths my whole life and I knew nothing different, so it's not until you step out of an organisation and find another one that you realise what's on the other side,” Reynolds said.

“I thought South Sydney was it for me, but I’m grateful for the opportunity that I've been given by the club in Brisbane, and I’ve fallen deeply in love with the club. It’s a good love story.”

Reynolds won a grand final with the Rabbitohs in 2014, but lost another in his last appearance for the club in 2021, against the Panthers, and the veteran playmaker is grateful to the Broncos for giving him a shot at redemption.

The 33-year-old halfback missed a 74th minute conversion in the 14-12 defeat that would have levelled the scores, along with a last ditch attempt to kick a two-point field goal.

"I’m sure if I never got an opportunity to do it again it would probably haunt me for the rest of my life.

"I've experienced both sides of the grand final and it's much better sitting on that wining side."

The 33-year-old joined the Broncos in the belief that the club was on the rise, despite having finished with the wooden spoon in 2020, and their 42-12 semi-final defeat of the Warriors confirmed his view.

Comparing the 2000-strong turnout at the club's fan day on Monday to the way Souths supporters got behind their team in 2014, Reynolds said he would be "honoured" to lead the Broncos to their first premiership in 17 years.

“I love the club, I love the history of the club, I love everything about it and to add to that piece of history would be right up there with my biggest achievements," he said.

“I wouldn't have come here if I didn't think it was possible. You play against the boys at certain times and you understand what they do well and what they don't.

"You think you can fix things and change things and I think I've added a little bit to the club. I’ve got a coaching staff and the rest of the playing group to thank for that as well. Everyone's buying in, and you need that."

While the Panthers have nine players lining up for their fourth grand final, Reynolds and second-rower Kurt Capewall, who was a member of Penrith's 2021 premiership winning team, are the only Broncos to have played in a decider.

In addition, four Brisbane players - Reece Walsh, Jesse Arthars, Ezra Mam and Brendan Piakura - have never played at Accor Stadium, which Reynolds called home for 10 years, making more than 100 appearances there for Souths.

With the Rabbitohs in the State Championship final against Brisbane Tigers after beating North Sydney in last weekend's NSW Cup grand final, Reynolds expects Souths fans at the ground to get behind him and the Broncos.

“I love that stadium, I love getting down there and playing there in front of big crowds, and I expect Sunday to be no different," he said.

“They won the NSW Cup and I watched that game pretty closely. I’ve still got a lot of mates in that team, so it was good to see him get a victory.

"Obviously, they're very passionate supporters - similar to Brisbane - so I expect them to have a few fans there, and it would be great to see them."

NRL.com
Go Reyno,, a bit of payback is well and truly in order with this mob.

Nice Reyno! A little bit of crafty media trying to buy a few extra neutrals….because sadly most of them will be supporting the panthers

Every time I read this headline I start singing the song "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes in my head

Nice Reyno! A little bit of crafty media trying to buy a few extra neutrals….because sadly most of them will be supporting the panthers

I suspect there will be a lot more Broncs support there than you might think, we'll get a lot of cheering. It has been a long time for us and we are a huge club.

There's quite a lot of people who don't want Penrith getting 3 in a row. Lots of unexpected support for the Broncos around.

There's quite a lot of people who don't want Penrith getting 3 in a row. Lots of unexpected support for the Broncos around.
Every nsw person I’ve asked is on Penrith. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Every nsw person I’ve asked is on Penrith. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
everyone I've asked is the same, people from NSW are salty over us lol.

it wouldn't surprise me if we have more fans at the gf, even though we are not a Sydney team, they had poultry numbers in their prelim.

It’s funny, I guess it is about what area you are in. We are staying at Umina Beach at the moment and pretty much all I am getting is “I don’t like your mob but I hope you kick Penrith’s arse”.

I don't get parra fans going for penrith.

If penrith win they'll lose the three-peat, which is the only thing that keeps them even remotely relevant... and they also got flogged by panthers in last year's GF.

View attachment 24421

NRL.com

“Teaching him to love again?”

So cringe

But ok sure, a love affair and long may it continue

everyone I've asked is the same, people from NSW are salty over us lol.

it wouldn't surprise me if we have more fans at the gf, even though we are not a Sydney team, they had poultry numbers in their prelim.
The 5 Roosters fans were there too?

Active Now

• Galah
  • Allo
  • Skathen
  • Browny
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.