Jack Bird Discussion

Milf at 7 Bird at 6. What is th fucking issue

The same thing that people have had problems with the Hunt/Milford combo.

Lack of kicking and game control

Having again watched some more footage of Bird play, he kinda reminds me of that "**** you, get out of my way" mojo that Hodges had, a spark which will again light some fires in this team. I am looking forward to that no matter where he plays.

Spot on rna.....

I remember the first few times I saw him play I thought "shit, this guy is gonna give us trouble in Origin in the future, he's got it...
Thought the same thing when Hayne started performing his miracles at Parra...
You know the NSW players you see who are you are gonna love to hate because believe it or not they make some good footy players in NSW too....

The instant and already endless "where is he gonna play, we don't need a player like that, I can't see how he fits in the team stuff..." will surely die down soon otherwise it's going to be a bloody long 10 months or so before we start to see what actually ends up happening.

Whatever happens, happens - he is a good chance of being a sensational player and I like to think he can do it in a Broncos jersey

Bird is a great signing for $700000, wrong choice it is a $1mill.

Need an organising halfback for that cash.

Team 2018

1. Milford (the guy can loose the pudd if he isn't worried about getting smashed each week in defence)
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Boyd
5. Oates
6. Bird
7. KNik or new half (or Benji as stopgap if waiting for Taylor)
8. Blair
9. Macca
10. ESE ESE
11. Gillet (protecting new halfback)
12. Sua/Glenn
13. McGuire
14. Thaiday
15. Sims
16. Pangai
17. KNik or other hooking supersub ?jnik
18. Glenn/Sua
19. Opaic

Bird is a great signing for $700000, wrong choice it is a $1mill.

Need an organising halfback for that cash.

Team 2018

1. Milford (the guy can loose the pudd if he isn't worried about getting smashed each week in defence)
2. Kahu
3. Roberts
4. Boyd
5. Oates
6. Bird
7. KNik or new half (or Benji as stopgap if waiting for Taylor)
8. Blair
9. Macca
10. ESE ESE
11. Gillet (protecting new halfback)
12. Sua/Glenn
13. McGuire
14. Thaiday
15. Sims
16. Pangai
17. KNik or other hooking supersub ?jnik
18. Glenn/Sua
19. Opaic

You know who coaches the Broncs right? What makes you think there is any likelihood of Boyd moving from number 1 whatsoever?

I think Bird will be wearing 6 on his back next year while Milford wears 7 or vice versa, but what they do on the field, we will all have to wait and find out in 2018. People here say Hunt and Milford are similar runners of the ball and doesn't stop them playing together? So we are replacing that with this. If Hunt hadn't left we wouldn't have. End of story, for now.

waynes not going to can boyd.

Also I think boyd is a far better fullback then bird this year and will probably be again next year. Boyd is you guys best player by a long way imo.

There is no way Milford goes back to fullback. Why develop him for 3 years as a half? It'd take him ages to re adjust to full back, it just won't happen

You know who coaches the Broncs right? What makes you think there is any likelihood of Boyd moving from number 1 whatsoever?

I think Bird will be wearing 6 on his back next year while Milford wears 7 or vice versa, but what they do on the field, we will all have to wait and find out in 2018. People here say Hunt and Milford are similar runners of the ball and doesn't stop them playing together? So we are replacing that with this. If Hunt hadn't left we wouldn't have. End of story, for now.

I unfortunately agree. Daddy can't move his boy. But he is getting older and Boyd isn't fastest to begin with so at some point in next couple of years might have no choice. Don't get me wrong I like Boyd and appreciate what he offers off the ball but he is the best fullback in the game largely by a weird mix of injuries and other circumstances. Milford, Tedesco, Moylan, Slater, Inglis, Tom T, Hayne all have or will likely be in next year or two better match winning fullbacks.

Having again watched some more footage of Bird play, he kinda reminds me of that "**** you, get out of my way" mojo that Hodges had, a spark which will again light some fires in this team. I am looking forward to that no matter where he plays.
He actually reminds me of a smaller, ballplaying version of Tallis.

Lots of 'mongrel' in this one.

I understand that people are worried that having Bird/Milford in the halves is too similar to Milford/Hunt in attack but our defence would be much better and hopefully Milford can develop into a better a halfback than Hunt.

There is no way Milford goes back to fullback. Why develop him for 3 years as a half? It'd take him ages to re adjust to full back, it just won't happen

The sign of genius is doing the same thing over and over again to get the same s*** result. Oh wait that's insanity.... Remember how Milford was at 19, now imagine Milford in full flight at fullback with some ball playing skills.

The sign of genius is doing the same thing over and over again to get the same s*** result. Oh wait that's insanity.... Remember how Milford was at 19, now imagine Milford in full flight at fullback with some ball playing skills.
I get the feeling a lot of people saying Milf was a better fullback only watched his highlight videos.

Not that he wasn't amazing, but he's a better player now imo. He is 1 try short of having the exact same strike rate as he did at the Raiders.

He made it to a grand final in his first year as 5/8th, and had we held on for 10 seconds longer he wins the Clive Churchill medal. On top of that if you listen to the current QLD, and Australian coaches, they talk about Milford like his rep selection is a foregone conclusion.

He's doing fine in the halves.

I think he is ahead of where Thurston was at the same age as a half.

I get the feeling a lot of people saying Milf was a better fullback only watched his highlight videos.

Not that he wasn't amazing, but he's a better player now imo. He is 1 try short of having the exact same strike rate as he did at the Raiders.

He made it to a grand final in his first year as 5/8th, and had we held on for 10 seconds longer he wins the Clive Churchill medal. On top of that if you listen to the current QLD, and Australian coaches, they talk about Milford like his rep selection is a foregone conclusion.

He's doing fine in the halves.
I see where you are coming from but you are saying he is as good as he was at 19.... Shouldn't he be much much better? The issue is that he has moments of brilliance in between being a turnstile in defence and absent in attack all while seeming to have lost a fair bit of speed (in match forget irrelevant straight line sprint arguements). He has more below average games than good ones in the halves. His best plays are still ballplaying fullback ones: following the ball for an offload, running on change of angle or broken play and chiming in at the right time for a little ball playing to create a new point of attack. As for 2015, Hunt was killing it as dominant half to let Milford play more freely and he had a defensive centre to hide his deficiencies more.

As for rep selection yet to see him on a team list and short of injuries might just get a look in at World Cup squad as backup or experience. It isn't in top 17, he should have ousted the overrated Morgan a couple of years ago with this talent.

At end of the day hard enough for a natural half to be worth his asking of nearly million a year in output at 22 let alone one in still in their apprenticeship. Might be ready when he's in his late 20s. In meantime has best mentor in Boyd (a smart hard working but less talented footballer) to teach him the defensive and organisation parts of fullback.

I suppose the question is if not now then when do we judge Milf at five-eight a waste of talent? Does anyone seriously believe he is in the top 5 or perhaps 10 halves in the competetition on a consistent basis? Or do we just double down on failure and make him our halfback when bird arrives? He can have another 3 years to show he isn't yet a halfback....

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • mrslong
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BruiserMk1
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • Santa
  • Hoof Hearted
  • broncs30
  • Redux
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jedhead
  • Battler
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.