Jack Bird Discussion

We have a replacement for Ese(TPJ,OFA or even Lodge)
We have no replacement for Blair, a player that leads the pack around and does the one percenters.

I'm fairly sure Moose will be back to prop, Bird to lock. I also feel Savelio will be playing prop for us. He is a big unit.

I'm fairly sure Moose will be back to prop, Bird to lock. I also feel Savelio will be playing prop for us. He is a big unit.
I'm excited about Savelio, underrated as. English forwards are always good. Also can't wait to see Ofahengaue come of age next season and make the starting side, he's got a huge engine and will be awesome for us in the future, and hopefully blood Haas through origin period and Fifita the following year. Exciting times ahead I think.

It looks like our theories of Bird moving into lock are true. He's come out and said he wants to play lock. I have no doubt he would be a gun lock with his aggressive play and enthusiasm.

It looks like our theories of Bird moving into lock are true. He's come out and said he wants to play lock. I have no doubt he would be a gun lock with his aggressive play and enthusiasm.

I'm sure a lot of players would like to play in a different position, but it comes down to Wayne, not him.

In saying that, I would like to see him at lock and given the license to play what's in front of him. Sticking him at left centre, would be good for us, but I think if we're going to get our money's worth, he needs to be playing both sides of the field.

But, I do not want him in the halves.

If Bird plays lock, I'm sort of glad Blair is leaving. We'll need better metre gainers in the front row.

Jack bird 1di9ej87xh65b1t1zfux4049n4

Bird eyes surprise switch

September 20, 2017

Jack Bird hopes the next stage of his NRL career will be at lock as he winds up at Cronulla and heads to Brisbane.

Bird left on Wednesday as one of six debutants in Mal Meninga’s Prime Minister’s XIII team, who will play Papua New Guinea on Sunday in Port Moresby.

The NSW State of Origin utility will play No.6 in the PM’s line-up after spending the past two years at centre for the Sharks. He hopes the Broncos will use him at lock where he’d played junior football.

“I haven’t really spoken to Wayne (Bennett) about it,” the 22-year-old told AAP. “I’ve played centre here (Cronulla) that last two years. I played five-eighth the first year I was here.

“I’m going up to Brisbane now not knowing exactly what position I’m going to play, whether that’s in the halves, or at lock, or in the centres.”

Bird signed a four-year deal in May worth around $4 million. Since then, Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima have settled in as the Broncos’ halves, but centre Tautau Moga is leaving for Newcastle.

“Hopefully, I can put on a bit of size and play lock. I think that’s where I can play some of my best football - in the middle there where I can have my hands on the football as much as possible,” said Bird who debuted at the Sharks in 2015, since playing 66 games and scoring 17 tries.

“I want to try to play like another five-eighth or fullback sort of role. I personally think that’s where my best position is.

“I’ve played lock ever since I was young. I also played some halves and back three but at lock is where I had my most success, in that No.13. Hopefully, I can get that jersey.

“Josh McGuire is there at the moment and playing great football. But I’m sure Wayne has got a plan up his sleeve.”

Bird was speaking Monday night at the Sharks’ presentation night after their early finals exit.

“Obviously it was a very disappointing moment to go out on that kind of note, and then knowing I’m not going to be playing with my good mates any more,” he said.

“I’m sure it’s not the end and I’ll see them around, but I’m going to really miss the club. It will be very hard, very weird to come up against them (in 2018),” Bird said.

“Winning the premiership with these guys is something I’ll never forget. I hold it very close to my heart.” He has only a casual interest in Friday’s Brisbane-Melbourne preliminary final.

“I will watch the finals but I’m not really keeping one eye on the Broncos. I wish them all the best but I’m still a Shark. I don’t start with Brisbane until November.”

Source: Daily Telegraph

Look at those eyes. I can't tell if there's absolutely nothing going on behind them...or if he is seeing beyond what a mere human should see.

I don't think anyone could say it any better than that. Well done!

"I wish the broncos played with the passion/determination of the cowboys/storm, then we'd be unstoppable"

Outside of jonothan Thurston and billy slater bird is the greatest competitor on the field currently in the nrl. The bloke plays top level nrl with rheumatoid arthritis! That is no small accomplishment. I think it's well controlled now but it would have taken years to get the medication dose right while he played in constant pain. He won't be the best player we have ever recruited, no doubt, but he will bring something everyone on this forum constantly begs the team to have-never give up attitude.

Lazarus wasn't our greatest player but he taught the team what was needed to win a premiership on the field. I honestly believe bird is of a similar breed. He might give us 7/10 performances skill wise but he will lift the performances of every other player on that team by 10%.
I'd throw in Maguire as well. What he does is amazing at times. He may not make as many metres as others but he fights for every one of them, and considering he has just one eye, his defence is spectacularly good.

Mal is apparently going to be playing Bird at lock for the PM's XIII game.

Jack bird opt7x42ee7oh1mmcwldraqi17

Jack Bird says he never considered backing out on his Brisbane Broncos contract

September 25, 2017

BRONCOS-bound sensation Jack Bird has revealed how difficult it was this year dealing with the persistent rumours that he did not want to move to Brisbane.

The former Cronulla centre was rocked by suggestions earlier this year that he wanted to backflip on his million dollar deal with the Broncos to stay with the Sharks.

But Bird says that was never the case and the continual interest in his movements put a bit of pressure on him.

Bird could be at the Red Hill base as soon as November if he misses World Cup selection and said he could not wait to join his new club.

“It was a little bit hard,” he said of the constant scrutiny around his move.

“I was going into every game with people thinking I was going to do a backflip. My phone kept ringing and the media kept trying to talk to me.

“If I didn’t want to go to Brisbane, I wouldn’t have signed there and I would have done a backflip by now. But I am true to my word. I want to go to Brisbane and I’m looking forward to the move.”

The other speculation that has surrounded Bird’s decision to go to Brisbane is where he is going to play in 2018.

Bird said last week he did not know what position Wayne Bennett had in mind for him, after it was touted that he could be pushed into lock.

However, the 22-year-old did discuss playing in the halves when he originally signed his contract in April.

He said that was the talk at the time, but it was not the reason he made the decision to leave Cronulla and he would play wherever Bennett wanted him.

“We did speak about playing in the halves, obviously because Ben Hunt is leaving,” he said.

“But Kodi Nikorima has been playing good football and I guess he’ll probably put that No. 7 jersey on next year with Milf in the No.6.

“I know I will be in the squad somewhere and I know that Wayne will have a plan.

“(The move) wasn’t particularly because I wanted to play in the halves. I just felt like I needed a change and I felt like Brisbane was the right choice for me.

“I also wanted to play under Wayne as well and try to better myself as a person and player.”

Bird said he would wait to talk to Bennett about his plans until after the World Cup, given his new coach will be leading England through the tournament.

In the meantime, Bird said he would continue to prepare himself for his own possible World Cup berth with the Australian team and ramp up the search for a house in his new hometown.

Source: Courier Mail

Can't wait for the next bullshit story about him wanting out.

I'm sorta warming to him playing 13. We seem to be absolutely set on having the forwards run in certain order these days, which, like people have been mentioning, McGuire has to run it on the 4th. It would be better to have Bird there I guess. Would be even better to look to attack more too in good field position.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Yem
  • Ejbroncos
  • kman
  • DrGee
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
  • heartly87
  • Brocko
  • ivanhungryjak
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • Bish
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Nerd
  • eazy-duzzit
... and 52 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.