PLAYER Jake Turpin is good

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
And that's the main problem with Macca unfortunately.
I think he plays within his ability, which is slow but methodical. We don't gather any momentum. He takes so little risk he almost never makes a mistake unless he's been forced to make a long pass to set up a field goal.

From that aspect, I wouldn't say he's stupid. He understands his limitations. He strikes me as a very decent and genuine bloke, but in sport that's not enough.

bb_gun

NRL Player
I think he plays within his ability, which is slow but methodical. We don't gather any momentum. He takes so little risk he almost never makes a mistake unless he's been forced to make a long pass to set up a field goal.

From that aspect, I wouldn't say he's stupid. He understands his limitations. He strikes me as a very decent and genuine bloke, but in sport that's not enough.
Jake Turpin is good.

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
He clearly has the capability to be a top hooker, he has proved it before. Whether its beyond him to get back to that level again is the question.
I've never seen any evidence of that unless you consider the main job of a hooker is to rack up massive tackle counts. You might very well be his last remaining advocate.
- Merged

Has he though? I mean, he's had good seasons before, don't get me wrong, but there's always been a very noticeable gap between him and the top 2 or 3 hookers in the game in any given season.
Maybe he has, by his standard, but I wonder if we'd have done better with someone who pushed us towards the line more effectively. He was never in the Luke Priddis, Michael Ennis or Shaun Berrigan class.

Last edited:

bb_gun

NRL Player
I've never seen any evidence of that unless you consider the main job of a hooker is to rack up massive tackle counts. You might very well be his last remaining advocate.
- Merged

Maybe he has, by his standard, but I wonder if we'd have done better with someone who pushed us towards the line more effectively. He was never in the Luke Priddis, Michael Ennis or Shaun Berrigan class.
Jake Turpin is good.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Has he though? I mean, he's had good seasons before, don't get me wrong, but there's always been a very noticeable gap between him and the top 2 or 3 hookers in the game in any given season.
I think he has at different times, like i said, mostly when he is under pressure from being replaced or needing a contract. I dont think he has ever been close to Smith level, but who has really? The year we almost signed Smith, Macca was as good as anyone else going around.

I just wonder how much of him basically being a defensive, tackling machine has dulled his game. Its got to have taken its toll on his body.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
He clearly has the capability to be a top hooker, he has proved it before. Whether its beyond him to get back to that level again is the question.
Lolz...no mate, he clearly hasn't and I think you've been clearly on the sauce.....or you're having fun.

In his first few years he wasn't even capable of playing 80 mins. His attacking skills have always been virtually non-existent. As someone else said, if you're idea of a top hooker is a player who makes 50+ tackles a game, sure...he's a top hooker.

Quite clearly teams need more from their dummy half than just someone who can tackle.

holdzy89

NRL Captain
I think he has at different times, like i said, mostly when he is under pressure from being replaced or needing a contract. I dont think he has ever been close to Smith level, but who has really? The year we almost signed Smith, Macca was as good as anyone else going around.

I just wonder how much of him basically being a defensive, tackling machine has dulled his game. Its got to have taken its toll on his body.
Not just his body, but his mind. He settled into a 'i'll shuffle the ball, and hold the middle in defence' mentality years ago.

Locky888

BRL Player
McCullough is a free agent at the end of this season with a 2 year option to extend his contract in his favour. Lets hope he doesn't renew, gets offered more money from another club.

Last edited:

peter09

BRL Player
Im hearing young Simpkin who had a pretty good MM season for Wynnum and is off contract with Brisbane this year is heading to Sydney next year , seems the broncos have too many halves at the moment instead of keeping genuine hookers, looking to develop some of the halves instead

Last edited:

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Im hearing young Simpkin who had a pretty good MM season for Wynnum and is off contract with Brisbane this year is heading to Sydney next year , seems the broncos have too many halves at the moment instead of keeping genuine hookers, looking to develop some of the halves instead
Really hope that doesn't come back to bite us and one of the halves does develop into a good hooker.

Alec

International Rep
What about that Harry Grant guy, was that just wishful thinking, or anyone know if the Broncos are genuinely interested?

McHunt

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Really hope that doesn't come back to bite us and one of the halves does develop into a good hooker.
We seem pretty right for hookers right now with Turpin and Segy. Tanah Boyd, I'm sure, would make a good back up both as half and hooker.

Not sure about halves. Yet to see whether Dearden is good enough for now, or something special. He's certainly the former.

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
McCollough off contact this year.

If I was Seibs, I'd be telling him he's not in our plans if we win this week. Allow him to start seeking out other opportunities now so he can be let go by year's end or even sooner.

Allows us the coin to extend Oates and TPJ

"Broncos hooker Andrew McCullough is technically a free agent despite having options in his favour to stay at Red Hill until 2021" - https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/revealed-every-nrl-contract-length-and-hidden-options/news-story/cfbcc1a62aa01170a11d5f426e1d9b3e

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising