Jake Turpin Discussion

He has played one game this year and performed better than Macca has all year. He will only improve with more opportunities and experience. He is busy and constantly looking for opportunities....I like him. Hits pretty hard in defence for a little bloke too!

A thought occurs. Turpin is not in our top 30, and thus required NRL permission to play last night as it's before June 30th. That was presumably a straightforward process as McCullough was injured and we had no other hookers at the club. Now that Segeyaro has signed, and presumably has taken Nikorima's spot in the 30, has the equation of Turpin's eligibility changed?

I am vice versa, I still think Dearden is not ready. The other half we let go would have got at least a try or try assist(s) against Manly's shot defence. Cordner and Mitchell will be barrelling down his way all game, hope the kid steps up big time next week.
Dearden is freshly 18. 3 ISC games, 2 NRL games. I would have to disagree that Kodi would have outplayed him last night. Deardens defence and kicking game is already ahead of Kodi’s IMO. Talks heaps more the Kodi, and he is only going to get better.
Tom is exactly what this team needs. Yes we will most probably get punished by the roosters, but it won’t only be because of our new #7. Watch Darius, a 300 gamer get schooled by teddy.

Last edited:
let's be fair here ... most players get schooled by teddy
Let’s not take what I said out of context. It was referring to a post that dearden needs to “step up big time next week.” I was using Darius, as an example that a 300 game player will also probably get schooled by his opposite in the roosters. The roosters are at least a class above any other team in the comp at the moment. Probably only souffs come close, but they’re still a fair bit off the roosters.

He's ready enough; he's just not a game winner yet. I'm happy to see him develop in situ.

I agree: Kodi probably would've scored against Manly, but I think Seibold gave him ample time to prove he could become a complete halfback. Which isn't just about pulling off the odd dart at the line. He didn't succeed in that. I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes for the Warriors. I expect him to land on his feet and be a real handful. Good luck to him. He's a great player. Just not the right halfback for us.
At the moment Dearden is not doing a lot more than Kodi, although his defence is markedly better (his passing has yet to make anything happen) but its early days. Its the same with Turpin. Let him play his game and watch him develop (or not) over the next few games.
This hyperbole is ridiculous. Turpin is running wider at the ruck but giving shorter passes to our forwards. Macca tends to pass longer passes and runs straighter in the ruck. It's different and Turpin is using his superior pace to his advantage, looking for a chance to dart, but at the expense of our forwards running wider. This worked against Manly but the Roosters are a strong defensive team without the lack of cohesion, the poor old injury-ravaged Manly have suffered.
I think he will do fine but we shouldn't be too caught up in a game against a team that has had terrible luck with injuries. If anything we should have won more convincingly. We need our forwards running harder in their hit-ups and defending together as a team more. How Turpin fits into that only time will tell.

How about we wait till Macca has a game at ISC, then we gauge both performances on who'd be more ordinary?

How about no. That would be stupid. Macca has played brilliantly at NRL level against top sides, Turpin as yet hasnt. Macca has nothing to prove in the ISC, Turpin has everything to prove in the NRL.

How about no. That would be stupid. Macca has played brilliantly at NRL level against top sides, Turpin as yet hasnt. Macca has nothing to prove in the ISC, Turpin has everything to prove in the NRL.

I'm choosing to go with, Macca now has to prove why the kid shouldn't be given all the time in the world to develop, while he plays backup in ISC.

I'm choosing to go with, Macca now has to prove why the kid shouldn't be given all the time in the world to develop, while he plays backup in ISC.

But thats exactly what Turpin needs to do, show he can be as effective against strong sides as he has been against weak ones. Regardless of his current form, we know Macca is capable of doing it.

Then let's see how he goes against the red hot reigning premiers next week.
Macca: Rnd4 V Roosters ………. 36-4 loss
Turpin: Rnd10 V Roosters ………. ??-??

Are we watching the same Macca?? He has played very poorly against top sides for a decade, he literally has everything to prove. The only thing he has proven is that he is not good enough to be an elite hooker.

But is Turpin God?

I thought he went ok and definitely improved our attack in certain ways. Happy to have him in the side with Segeyaro to provide some additional lift from the bench. McCullough's reign in the 9 may possibly be over but it's way too early to make that call.

Definitely not God, the thread heading is a little extreme

What I would say is, I’d be very disappointed if Turps and/or Segs (who should given at least 8-10 games to prove themselves) don’t make a fist of it and Macca who is subar on his great days finds his way back in.

This is their opportunity to play the number 9 at the very least to an NRL standard.

At first I thought you were being sarcastic, are you? Because if you’re serious I’d be very worried your alcoholic beverages are becoming problematic.

I’m mean who in their right sound mind would utter the words Macca and Brilliant in the same sentence

Definitely not God, the thread heading is a little extreme

What I would say is, I’d be very disappointed if Turps and/or Segs (who should given at least 8-10 games to prove themselves) don’t make a fist of it and Macca who is subar on his great days finds his way back in.

This is their opportunity to play the number 9 at the very least to an NRL standard.
Agree 100%, they now have the number 9 to play for and if I was Macca I'd be worried.

If Seibold is serious when he says he will pick the team on merit, then McCullough has plenty to worry about. If Bennett was still the coach, he'd no doubt walk straight back into the nine. I hope those days are long past.

Turpin was far from great, but I felt he offered a lot more in attack than we've had from the position lately. Not everything worked, but he looked plenty willing. One thing that did impress me was that he actually looked ready when a ball popped out the back of the ruck, and he was able to move it laterally to pick up additional metres. That's something I feel McCullough had struggled with, often seeming to be caught by surprise and not knowing what to do with the ball when it comes out to him.

The kid is young, and I'd hope he gets a chance over the coming weeks to show what he can do.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • broncos4life
  • broncsgoat
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • Nerd
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Rambstien
  • Organix
  • bazza
  • cento
  • Financeguy
... and 27 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.