Jake Turpin Discussion

Great to see the Turpinator get a win and prove a few doubters initially wrong and also playing the full 80 with little noticeable issue.

Wasn’t fantastic in that he put us under pressure with some nervous energy penalties, perhaps amplified even more if he was aware of the Segeyaro signing and thinking he had to win the game by himself, but after the first 20 when
he and the rest of the side settled down and got into it, things flowed better.

Still the odd clunky tackle play where he’d run back the other way and no one knew what he was doing, but put that down to unfamiliarity rather than abandoning any game plan. But his runs were mostly purposeful and, if only as he’s still an unknown quantity, his runs created some doubt in the defensive line which is what you need.

Tackling I noticed he went high a fair amount so he needs to be mindful to not get thrown off being a smaller guy, but there was no doubting his intensity. Really good to see.

Passing was very good after some head-highs (let’s not kid ourselves, Macca still does it way more often than a 250 gamer should too) and there was a lot more cutouts which allowed quicker ball movement. Would’ve been interesting to see how that kick out dummy-half ended up had Cummins not been in the way.

Something also tells me that without McCullough there and Dearden being a rookie half (who was very good again, won’t be long before he’s killing teams), it allowed Milford to take almost full control which reaped many rewards

Overall, a great return for him, but like the rest of the team, big and real test this week coming. Hope he kills it, and while Segeyaro is obviously a talented player, I don’t want Turpin getting benched or usurped too quickly. Let’s see how well he can gel with his forwards and Milf/Dearden

Unless he and Seggers are legit terrible, I don’t want Macca walking straight back in the second he’s fit, even though I know that’s what will happen

I liked the play the broncos ran out when Turpin passed right to Dearden, he takes a step left then changes the point of attack with a right pass to Milf; draws the defensive line then chips through where Boyd had picked his spot and ran through unchallenged...

I can't remember Kodi being involved in that play; I liked it because we split the half either side of the ruck...

I liked it because we split the half either side of the ruck...

To be honest, we've been playing split halves for years now. You rarely see Milford go right or Kodi go left (though he started linking up a bit more before leaving)

Guys, we need to calm down. Jake Turpin is a back-up dummy half. Andrew McCullough is our main hooker. When he is fit he will be in the side.

Now, let's get to the good stuff.

The most interesting thing so far about Turpin's fledgling career (and we're sorta seeing it here) is that I think far too much is being made of the opposing teams.

It's just silly in my opinion and it goes to show what I'm currently finding fascinating about how fandom and those internal to a sporting organisation can be worlds apart.

Let's borrow Jake Turpin, just for a second, from his impending godhood.

He made his debut against the Titans last season. He played 46 minutes, had a line-break assist, a try assist and made 32 tackles (including a hit on Mitch Rein which made the highlights reel).

Pretty respectable. After the match, do you think the Broncos coaching staff sat down with him and said "Sorry Jake, despite making an impressive debut and helping us to a 34-0 victory, it doesn't count because it was against the Titans. Let's see how you against the Roosters."

On what planet are we living on where that sounds even remotely plausible?

Reflecting on his performance post-match with the coach, even last night, I would be shocked and stunned if the Manly Sea Eagles were even mentioned... most likely it revolved around his shaky start, the penalties as well as his contributions to the win.

I get the fact the other side is a big deal for some fans but it's still puzzling to me.

Let's play this silly game until the end. If we get belted next week by the Roosters, is he on par with Macca? He achieved the same thing a few weeks ago. An agonising one point loss? A lucky win in the last minute?

Does that count?

My friends and brothers, we need to stop this. Yes, the opposition is a factor but I'd argue it's not even a significant one in determining the worth of a performance.

I thought he did pretty well in front of a massive crowd on a big occasion. That's something no one is talking about lol. Go figure.

IMO the hooking spot is Turpins to lose. Hes not god, but he so far, appears to suit the team better.

The Roosters game will test his mettle

Macca's best days are far behind him now. He is now a journeyman we need to phase out and replace with some zip. Turpin performed better than Macca has all season.

I’d had a few but he made an error and up to 3 penalties against him. I thought he did ok but some posts are like he’s the new cook ...Macca against the bunnies was a far better display IMO.

I liked the play the broncos ran out when Turpin passed right to Dearden, he takes a step left then changes the point of attack with a right pass to Milf; draws the defensive line then chips through where Boyd had picked his spot and ran through unchallenged...

I can't remember Kodi being involved in that play; I liked it because we split the half either side of the ruck...
We have done that play a few times... it's one of the ones they like. Milf and Hunt used to do it a fair bit.

It doesn't always come off though.

Also we always have the halves split on either side of the ruck, which I hate. Would much prefer the halves being on the open side and linking together

How about no. That would be stupid. Macca has played brilliantly at NRL level against top sides, Turpin as yet hasnt. Macca has nothing to prove in the ISC, Turpin has everything to prove in the NRL.

Almost thought you were serious until the word "brilliantly"

I’d had a few but he made an error and up to 3 penalties against him. I thought he did ok but some posts are like he’s the new cook ...Macca against the bunnies was a far better display IMO.

If you liked the games we lost, you'll love Macca.

Guys, we need to calm down. Jake Turpin is a back-up dummy half. Andrew McCullough is our main hooker. When he is fit he will be in the side.

Now, let's get to the good stuff.

The most interesting thing so far about Turpin's fledgling career (and we're sorta seeing it here) is that I think far too much is being made of the opposing teams.

It's just silly in my opinion and it goes to show what I'm currently finding fascinating about how fandom and those internal to a sporting organisation can be worlds apart.

Let's borrow Jake Turpin, just for a second, from his impending godhood.

He made his debut against the Titans last season. He played 46 minutes, had a line-break assist, a try assist and made 32 tackles (including a hit on Mitch Rein which made the highlights reel).

Pretty respectable. After the match, do you think the Broncos coaching staff sat down with him and said "Sorry Jake, despite making an impressive debut and helping us to a 34-0 victory, it doesn't count because it was against the Titans. Let's see how you against the Roosters."

On what planet are we living on where that sounds even remotely plausible?

Reflecting on his performance post-match with the coach, even last night, I would be shocked and stunned if the Manly Sea Eagles were even mentioned... most likely it revolved around his shaky start, the penalties as well as his contributions to the win.

I get the fact the other side is a big deal for some fans but it's still puzzling to me.

Let's play this silly game until the end. If we get belted next week by the Roosters, is he on par with Macca? He achieved the same thing a few weeks ago. An agonising one point loss? A lucky win in the last minute?

Does that count?

My friends and brothers, we need to stop this. Yes, the opposition is a factor but I'd argue it's not even a significant one in determining the worth of a performance.

I thought he did pretty well in front of a massive crowd on a big occasion. That's something no one is talking about lol. Go figure.

For those with short attention spans, I'll summarize this for you: Jake Turpin is God.

Great to see the Turpinator get a win and prove a few doubters initially wrong and also playing the full 80 with little noticeable issue.

Wasn’t fantastic in that he put us under pressure with some nervous energy penalties, perhaps amplified even more if he was aware of the Segeyaro signing and thinking he had to win the game by himself, but after the first 20 when
he and the rest of the side settled down and got into it, things flowed better.

Still the odd clunky tackle play where he’d run back the other way and no one knew what he was doing, but put that down to unfamiliarity rather than abandoning any game plan. But his runs were mostly purposeful and, if only as he’s still an unknown quantity, his runs created some doubt in the defensive line which is what you need.

Tackling I noticed he went high a fair amount so he needs to be mindful to not get thrown off being a smaller guy, but there was no doubting his intensity. Really good to see.

Passing was very good after some head-highs (let’s not kid ourselves, Macca still does it way more often than a 250 gamer should too) and there was a lot more cutouts which allowed quicker ball movement. Would’ve been interesting to see how that kick out dummy-half ended up had Cummins not been in the way.

Something also tells me that without McCullough there and Dearden being a rookie half (who was very good again, won’t be long before he’s killing teams), it allowed Milford to take almost full control which reaped many rewards

Overall, a great return for him, but like the rest of the team, big and real test this week coming. Hope he kills it, and while Segeyaro is obviously a talented player, I don’t want Turpin getting benched or usurped too quickly. Let’s see how well he can gel with his forwards and Milf/Dearden

Unless he and Seggers are legit terrible, I don’t want Macca walking straight back in the second he’s fit, even though I know that’s what will happen

I can't think of ANY circumstance where Macca should return to the team. Sure, he racks up tons of tackles. Yet, in the bigger scheme of things, that seems to means dick. The few games we've been spoiled to have enjoyed without him were some of our best defensive efforts.

Seibold implying he's taking a break with his injury makes me nervous. He should've been shopped to a Japanese rugby club in return for a bucket of squid after the Dragons drubbing last season.

Yeah we won last night because of jake Turpin

Pretty much. Our spine would've looked its usual sluggish shambles with Macca there. He lifted our attack massively.

For the life of me, I cannot understand anyone who actually thinks McCullough offers anything to the team anymore.

Great tackler, sure. Great clubman, sure. But his time has passed and he isn't what we need.

Turpin was good not great. He's not the answer but he'll do for now.
Agree, I’m not sure if he’s the final answer either, but he’s definitely a better answer than Macca. I’m actually more intrigued to see both him and Segeyaro do in the role, I don’t think Turps is ready for 80 mins every week and I also think injecting someone like Segyaro as an impact player might be the X factor we’ve been sorely missing.

Agree, I’m not sure if he’s the final answer either, but he’s definitely a better answer than Macca. I’m actually more intrigued to see both him and Segeyaro do in the role, I don’t think Turps is ready for 80 mins every week and I also think injecting someone like Segyaro as an impact player might be the X factor we’ve been sorely missing.

It's funny how Seibold's plan is now what pretty much every fan and commentator has been telling him to do all season. If this continues we'll shortly see Boyd joining Macca in the consumer seafood game.

Had nothing to do with 2nd half field position, less errors and barely a second half penalty. All praise be to Jake Turpin.

Deserved praise, indeed.

Given Macca was in the box last night I doubt he’s going anywhere soon

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.