Jake Turpin Discussion

One thing i will say about Macca, he has always played his best for us when he has had pressure on his place. He absolutely has it now, be good to see how he responds.

If he gets his chance again, he probably will, nothing less than leading the team around win after win will save him.

He should only be allowed back in if he proves he can run faster than the other two.

Make the three have a foot race over 30mtrs.

If he gets his chance again, he probably will, nothing less than leading the team around win after win will save him.

He was superb when we were rumoured to be signing Smith.

He should only be allowed back in if he proves he can run faster than the other two.

Cam Smith is slower than both yet 10 times the footballer. Its whats between the ears that makes a good player.

Add in Roberts and you have a deal.
[automerge]1558179084[/automerge]
He was superb when we were rumoured to be signing Smith. Cam Smith is slower than both yet 10 times the footballer. Its whats between the ears that makes a good player.

That's quite insulting to Macca. Just because he's a mediocre player doesn't make him thick as a plank. He seems quite bright to me.

Last edited:

Admittedly, speed is important. But more importantly, it's vision. Macca has very little of this. Turpin showed he can see the game unfold, save for his awful intercept pass, he was all over it. And Segey showed so much spark out of hooker in his stint, things we haven't seen from a hooker at the Broncos for over a decade.

Add in Roberts why? For a foot race for centre?

Who cares if he's fast, if he isn't up to playing for the team then it doesn't matter. He was dropped for a reason and that reason may not be visible to the fans, for example, you.

[automerge]1558179084[/automerge]

That's quite insulting to Macca. Just because he's a mediocre player doesn't make him thick as a plank. He seems quite bright to me.

Not in terms of game intuition - he is a plank in that regard, no argument. Toughness? He is top notch.
[automerge]1558179404[/automerge]
He was superb when we were rumoured to be signing Smith.

Cam Smith is slower than both yet 10 times the footballer. Its whats between the ears that makes a good player.

Jeez how many times has he had that chance to perform?

He's been accurately identified to a tee - tackle bot, no intuition in attack.

Last edited:
And that's the main problem with Macca unfortunately.

I think he plays within his ability, which is slow but methodical. We don't gather any momentum. He takes so little risk he almost never makes a mistake unless he's been forced to make a long pass to set up a field goal.

From that aspect, I wouldn't say he's stupid. He understands his limitations. He strikes me as a very decent and genuine bloke, but in sport that's not enough.

I think he plays within his ability, which is slow but methodical. We don't gather any momentum. He takes so little risk he almost never makes a mistake unless he's been forced to make a long pass to set up a field goal.

From that aspect, I wouldn't say he's stupid. He understands his limitations. He strikes me as a very decent and genuine bloke, but in sport that's not enough.
Jake Turpin is good.

He clearly has the capability to be a top hooker, he has proved it before.

Has he though? I mean, he's had good seasons before, don't get me wrong, but there's always been a very noticeable gap between him and the top 2 or 3 hookers in the game in any given season.

He clearly has the capability to be a top hooker, he has proved it before. Whether its beyond him to get back to that level again is the question.

I've never seen any evidence of that unless you consider the main job of a hooker is to rack up massive tackle counts. You might very well be his last remaining advocate.
[automerge]1558181456[/automerge]
Has he though? I mean, he's had good seasons before, don't get me wrong, but there's always been a very noticeable gap between him and the top 2 or 3 hookers in the game in any given season.

Maybe he has, by his standard, but I wonder if we'd have done better with someone who pushed us towards the line more effectively. He was never in the Luke Priddis, Michael Ennis or Shaun Berrigan class.

Last edited:
I've never seen any evidence of that unless you consider the main job of a hooker is to rack up massive tackle counts. You might very well be his last remaining advocate.
[automerge]1558181456[/automerge]

Maybe he has, by his standard, but I wonder if we'd have done better with someone who pushed us towards the line more effectively. He was never in the Luke Priddis, Michael Ennis or Shaun Berrigan class.
Jake Turpin is good.

I think he has at different times, like i said, mostly when he is under pressure from being replaced or needing a contract. I dont think he has ever been close to Smith level, but who has really? The year we almost signed Smith, Macca was as good as anyone else going around.

I just wonder how much of him basically being a defensive, tackling machine has dulled his game. Its got to have taken its toll on his body.

He clearly has the capability to be a top hooker, he has proved it before. Whether its beyond him to get back to that level again is the question.

Lolz...no mate, he clearly hasn't and I think you've been clearly on the sauce.....or you're having fun.

In his first few years he wasn't even capable of playing 80 mins. His attacking skills have always been virtually non-existent. As someone else said, if you're idea of a top hooker is a player who makes 50+ tackles a game, sure...he's a top hooker.

Quite clearly teams need more from their dummy half than just someone who can tackle.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • cento
  • bazza
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • Stix
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Strop
  • Organix
  • Broncosgirl
  • kman
  • bb_gun
  • winslow_wong
  • jd87
  • Mustafur
  • Battler
  • Santa
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.