Jake Turpin re-signs until the end of 2022

Don’t be surprised when turpin is back in qcup once our actual halves are fit. Macca is untouchable
Well, I will be surprised if that happens. McCullough and Boyd are not untouchable despite it not having happened so far.

yeh spot on...Berrigans is the MVP of Broncos utility players. Now do i think Turps has a chance of emulating him...possibly.....more likely not though cause Shaun was simply one of a kind player.
Turps likewise. He tackles like Gillmeister.

In regards to Fifi we literally just need to get him through to the end of 2021... at that point Boyd, Macca, Gillett, Bird and even milf will be off contract

Would you believe that we signed Gillett, 29 at the time, on an upgraded deal last year through to 2022, despite him being sidelined with a fractured neck? He'll be 34 when his contract expires.

Last edited:
Would you believe that we signed Gillett, 29 at the time, on an upgraded deal last year through to 2022, despite him being sidelined with a fractured neck? He'll be 33 when his contract expires.

iirc, he was on a 2 year deal to 2020 and had player options for 2021+22 and took them up

Doesn’t matter, the team will be playing better and if he still wants to start he has the option to head elsewhere.

I agree that we will be better without him in the team, but I think it does matter when a team is wasting salary cap space like that. Better to try and move him on rather than keep him around as an overpaid reserve.
[automerge]1565071852[/automerge]
iirc, he was on a 2 year deal to 2020 and had player options for 2021+22 and took them up

I believe the player options were for the '19 & '20 season, the upgrade through to 2022 was the club's decision. In 2016, we offered him a 4 year contract with 2 years in his favour, and in 2018 renegotiated and upgraded the deal through to 2022 so he didn't use his option and take the money other clubs were throwing at him.

Last edited:
I think it's more a case of him respecting the experienced player in his position. He seems like a genuine good bloke, and that's the kind of thing I'd expect a good bloke to come out with. Besides, we know Macca is a good healer so he's obviously professional off the field, so Pitty (lol love it) could be talking about that.

Do all of these players that have options in their favour, have the same agent? That really has to stop because the club is losing control of its salary cap.

It's a good reward for him.

It's been difficult to tell where he's stood with the club at certain stages. When he couldn't make the squad, it seemed like his days at the club may have been numbered. He wasn't playing well at the Dolphins and it just seemed like the Broncos may have signed a dud.

After a poor start, his form definitely improved for Redcliffe (check the Round 7 game against Tweed) and when an opportunity presented itself he gave it his all. He wasn't expected to play the entire 80, but did so and just kept getting better as the game went on. That flowed into the following week where his intensity in defence caught the Roosters out and provided the perfect platform for Segeyaro to make his club debut.

The challenge for him is to make the most of this opportunity. If he plays his cards right, he could find himself in a Queensland jersey, but he's going to have to work on areas of his game. He's got the right attitude, but his skill-set still requires a coat of polish and that's hopefully what a strong pre-season can offer him.

He's done well to make the most out of this opportunity. The challenge now is find some consistensy and make a case for that #9 spot.

Paix will hopefully deliver for us at 9, but it will be good to have the stop gap filled til that happens. Let him run around in the 14 if Seggy doesn't stick around.
I've heard people talking about Paix as our long term 9 - is this based on anything in particular? Because he has been playing as a half all year, even when Turpin was playing first grade. I know he played some isolated games as a hooker in some rep games where they try to fit all the talented halves in the team, but is there any evidence that we're grooming him as a dummy half?

I have no issue with Turpos looking up to Macca. He is actually a great role model, great work ethic, great trainer, his worst and best games are pretty similar etc etc. he just isn’t a good player , Macca is like a 4/10 player consistently putting in 6/10 performances. If he was a 7/10 (which I think turps is) putting in 9/10s week in week out he would be one of the best players in the game

I have no issue with Turpos looking up to Macca. He is actually a great role model, great work ethic, great trainer, his worst and best games are pretty similar etc etc. he just isn’t a good player , Macca is like a 4/10 player consistently putting in 6/10 performances. If he was a 7/10 (which I think turps is) putting in 9/10s week in week out he would be one of the best players in the game
If we was putting in 9/10 performance week in and week out doesn't that axiomatically make him a 9/10 player and not a 7/10 as you are suggesting? You've lost me.

If he is a 9/10 player he should be starting every week.

Going by what Seibs said to the wankers on NRL 360 this signing puts pressure on Macca and he needs to improve to keep his spot.

So that's a plus, if they resign Seggy at this stage I would say Macca is gone after his contract is done.

No just Siebs but Darren on chanel 9s QLDer show with Wally. He made two very reassuring statements. Boyd is in the back end if his career and may be better suited at centre to finish and having more Hookers will push Macca to retain his position. Locky pointed out the halfs as the key area for fixing.

The club knows what we know and i think both will be given the talk next year. It will be bring your best or your in reserve grade. Both Robby and Benji at the Tigers have provided some great footy for their team this year and Madge has made it clear he is prepared to drop them if need be.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • jarro65
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Wolfie
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • sooticus
  • Broncosgirl
  • bb_gun
  • Fitzy
  • eggstar10
  • NSW stables
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Nerd
  • simplythebest
  • Morkel
  • Strop
  • Johnny92
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Galah
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.