Jake Turpin re-signs until the end of 2022

No just Siebs but Darren on chanel 9s QLDer show with Wally. He made two very reassuring statements. Boyd is in the back end if his career and may be better suited at centre to finish and having more Hookers will push Macca to retain his position. Locky pointed out the halfs as the key area for fixing.

The club knows what we know and i think both will be given the talk next year. It will be bring your best or your in reserve grade. Both Robby and Benji at the Tigers have provided some great footy for their team this year and Madge has made it clear he is prepared to drop them if need be.

Yeah I watched that too and it gave me hope. Locky also said Turps is a hooker, that’s his spot.

I've heard people talking about Paix as our long term 9 - is this based on anything in particular? Because he has been playing as a half all year, even when Turpin was playing first grade. I know he played some isolated games as a hooker in some rep games where they try to fit all the talented halves in the team, but is there any evidence that we're grooming him as a dummy half?

its interesting to think; the Storm would have him play hooker if that's where they saw his first grade future. Not concerned at all whats good for the reserve grade side....everything aligns with whats best for the top team...

Something perhaps we should consider...?

Why Broncos hooker Jake Turpin turned down $1.2m deal for a love of harness racing

Turpin admitted he was close to succumbing to rival offers with up to six clubs queuing up for his signature — including a reported $1.2 million Warriors deal — after a breakout year for the Broncos

No doubt it was tempting for Turpin who only scraped into Brisbane’s 2019 top 30 squad on a minimum $70,000 salary following Kodi Nikorima’s Warriors exit and regular hooker Andrew McCullough’s early season knee injury. However, the 22-year-old said his family’s love of horses ensured he didn’t leave the Red Hill paddock.

His family from Haigslea, west of Brisbane, are heavily involved in harness racing with his sister Chantal a driver as well as a trainer along with Turpin.

“I was pretty close to be honest,” Turpin said of leaving Brisbane.

But asked if his Brisbane harness racing background was a factor, Turpin said: “For sure. The stables are only an hour and a half away and I can go and see my horses do some track work.

“I can be around them.”

More direct family ties also came to the fore for Turpin who initially broke into the 17 in round nine as injured rake McCullough’s replacement but will run out for his fifth straight game in the Broncos No. 7 jersey in Thursday’s NRL away clash with North Queensland.

Turpin said he was trying to make up for lost time on and off the field after finally embracing his Broncos chance following an under 20s stint with Melbourne Storm from 2014-16.

“I have two little nieces. If I moved way I wouldn’t see them grow up,” he said. “I spent three years (at Melbourne) from them which was hard on me — my first niece didn’t know my name for their first two years.” Turpin may be considered a long term Broncos hooker option after veteran McCullough retires.

But in the meantime he is revelling in his starting halves spot, partnering captain Darius Boyd with first choice No. 7 Tom Dearden (ankle) sidelined. “It’s moved pretty quickly to be honest. I set myself little goals. I wanted to get into the top 30 and I achieved that then I wanted to play first grade and I achieved that,” he said.

“There are always things in my game that I have to improve but I am really excited about the rest of 2019.”

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...g/news-story/a48744a8e51b745cf59ce99f9b0a1866

Well, to be fair, anyone that has seen his defensive reads in the halves can tell he is a hooker.

You aren't wrong that's for sure but it is good to hear it direct from a board member.

The warriors are now 0 from 3 trying to poach our players
I saw an article the other day that the warriors are making us up our pays for our players so that we use up salary cap. Apparently are chasing bigger fish from our team.

I saw an article the other day that the warriors are making us up our pays for our players so that we use up salary cap. Apparently are chasing bigger fish from our team.
I saw that. Same bs over kill from the media. If thats the warriors recruitment strategy they need a new recruitment team.

What happens if one of these players said yes? Lol.
On top of that the broncos ended up paying normal value by all reports. And then you have to think, well who is "bigger fish". Fifita is a hell of a talent but haas, lodge and TPJ have all had better games and have had more big games. Outside of that who have we got that will be wanted by all the clubs?

I saw that. Same bs over kill from the media. If thats the warriors recruitment strategy they need a new recruitment team.

What happens if one of these players said yes? Lol.
On top of that the broncos ended up paying normal value by all reports. And then you have to think, well who is "bigger fish". Fifita is a hell of a talent but haas, lodge and TPJ have all had better games and have had more big games. Outside of that who have we got that will be wanted by all the clubs?

I reckon it’s Milford.

It's not really working because we haven't payed extreme, Titans or Dragons like overs for anybody. Again, it sounds like a cope tactic for them missing out on a few of our blokes. "Haha we totally weren't offering Lodge 1 mil! It was all in our master plan to sign a better player off you! Yeah we don't rate Lodge haha, he's crap! We know Haas is signed up as well long term... he's crap too! We have another target in mind... someone with the class of Niko, a man with finesse and expertise in the spine who can hold down our middle and steer our forwards around like Cammy Smith. Master coach Kearney has put in the good word and we're going to make it happen, sorry Broncos fans :))"

Last edited:
Not sure about this kid. An insult to Macca as well...

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Aldo
  • Manifesto
  • sooticus
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.