NEWS Jake Turpin: the happy hooker

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Lachlan Grey asks Jake Turpin about his relationship with Macca and Brody Croft in tomorrow's Courier Mail:

According to Turpin, the number 9 is still up for grabs. But maybe he's just being kind to his mentor, Macca.

On Macca, Jake says:

“That’s the goal (to be in the starting side) but Macca’s been probably one of the best footballers to ever come through this club. To have him here training with me every day helps a lot and competition (for spots) is what this club needs. It’s very healthy. There’s no rivalry at all really. We’re really close mates off the field we hang out daily and on our days off we catch up for coffees and go for meals and stuff together. I’m pretty much picking his brain every day.”

Jake's former Melbourne under-20's teammate Brody Croft's arrival might be another factor in his favour.

On Brody:

“It definitely helps, we played a lot of footy together growing up so we know how each other plays and some things you just know when others are doing it. I know what Crofty’s doing, what he’s thinking and he probably knows what I’m doing, what I’m thinking, so we’ve gelled pretty well (But) I don’t think anyone’s got a head start. “The coaches are watching every single thing on the field and go upstairs and watch it over again five hours a day so they know what we’re doing and whoever’s right for the team is who they’ll want.”

Last edited:
It’s hard to say weather Turpin will get the nod over Macca for the 9 but I think he will. I reckon Macca will be on the bench with Paix to miss out unless we have an injury to either 9s.

I’m excited to see how we go this season, but still a little reserved because I had such high hopes last season and we were terrible.

the courier mail also referred to Turpin as the "incumbent" hooker ... lol

the courier mail also referred to Turpin as the "incumbent" hooker ... lol
Yep, they also said this:

"The Broncos returned to training on Monday, kicking off the battle between incumbent Turpin and veteran McCullough for the coveted No.9 jersey under second-year coach Anthony Seibold. Turpin was one of Brisbane’s most consistent performers in a rollercoaster 2019, showing enough in 15 games across hooker, halfback and five-eighth to earn a three-year deal before the Broncos’ calamitous finals exit. The long-serving McCullough mentored 23-year-old Turpin through his own injury-affected season."
[automerge]1578305856[/automerge]
It’s hard to say weather Turpin will get the nod over Macca for the 9 but I think he will. I reckon Macca will be on the bench with Paix to miss out unless we have an injury to either 9s.

I’m excited to see how we go this season, but still a little reserved because I had such high hopes last season and we were terrible.
I hope they can transition Macca into an admin role. He'd be a good guy to have around the club, just not the football.

Last edited:
Wasn't he looking to become a cop after he finishes up playing?

Yep, they also said this:

"The Broncos returned to training on Monday, kicking off the battle between incumbent Turpin and veteran McCullough for the coveted No.9 jersey under second-year coach Anthony Seibold. Turpin was one of Brisbane’s most consistent performers in a rollercoaster 2019, showing enough in 15 games across hooker, halfback and five-eighth to earn a three-year deal before the Broncos’ calamitous finals exit. The long-serving McCullough mentored 23-year-old Turpin through his own injury-affected season."
[automerge]1578305856[/automerge]

I hope they can transition Macca into an admin role. He'd be a good guy to have around the club, just not the football.

Yeah I hope so too because he has been a great clubman. The problem is that he has about 3-4 years left in him I think.

I don’t know if he would want a job at the club after football anyways. From what I’ve saw on an interview with him is that he looks to be pursuing a career in the police force once he calls time on footy.

Macca one of the best to come through the club? Turps sniffing turps?

Yeah I though the same, no matter what you think of Macca, good or bad, nobody could really call him one of the best ever

Locky, Webcke, Hodges, Langer, Walters to name just a few

Perhaps he meant it in terms of service to the club, or even in terms of being one of our best Dummy Halves, which on pure talent is probably untrue, but in terms of his actual longevity and output, especially in defence, you could perhaps argue.

He'd certainly be our longest serving Dummy Half and he'd also be one of our hardest working defensive players, so he does have that up his sleeve. I'm not sure if people keep count of this sort of stuff, but in terms of tackles made by a player in a Broncos jersey, there couldn't be many in front of him? Parker is the only one I can really think of?

Macca one of the best to come through the club? Turps sniffing turps?
Clever gamesmanship. Sort of answer a politician would give. Like Kevin Rudd saying Julia Gillard is one of the best PM's the country has ever had. Put it out there, look magnanimous and let everyone else cut them down.

I'll go one further: he's throwing his hat into the captaincy challenge while he's at it.

Last edited:
The shame about Macca is that he just isn’t good enough, though he almost is. He is a leader though, look at the way he has taken Turpw under his wing. He has given his absolute all, excellent club man. He gets a lot of warranted flack for his attacking game but credit where it’s due, he is a guy the club is better for having around. It’s just a shame his talent doesn’t even come close to his work ethic.

The shame about Macca is that he just isn’t good enough, though he almost is. He is a leader though, look at the way he has taken Turpw under his wing. He has given his absolute all, excellent club man. He gets a lot of warranted flack for his attacking game but credit where it’s due, he is a guy the club is better for having around. It’s just a shame his talent doesn’t even come close to his work ethic.

I suspect that he has a good footy mind, he just doesn’t have the ability to be elite.

In truth, I suspect that if he wasn't playing in such a crucial spine position that he's become increasingly unfit for as the modern game has evolved, people would probably love him for what he brings to the table.

That kind of longevity, work ethic and commitment in defence is lauded in plenty of other players who were arguably not supremely talented either, but for some reason, it's not so widely admired in Macca and I think the fact he plays as a Dummy Half in a role that has long evolved past his playing style, has a huge amount to do with it.

Last edited:
Clever gamesmanship. Sort of answer a politician would give. Like Kevin Rudd saying Julia Gillard is one of the best PM's the country has ever had. Put it out there, look magnanimous and let everyone else cut them down.

I'll go one further: he's throwing his hat into the captaincy challenge while he's at it.
Funny thing is JG WAS the most successful pm in Australian history in terms of legislation passed. That accomplished WITHOUT a majority government and despite a concerted campaign of lies and hatred from the media. Truly a legendary achievement in a political sense whether a person agrees with her politics or not.

In truth, I suspect that if he wasn't playing in such a crucial spine position that he's become increasingly unfit for as the modern game has evolved, people would probably love him for what he brings to the table.

That kind of longevity, work ethic and commitment in defence is lauded in plenty of other players who were arguably not supremely talented either, but for some reason, it's not so widely admired in Macca and I think the fact he plays as a Dummy Half in a role that has long evolved past his playing style, has a huge amount to do with it.

Good point.

Look at Alex Glenn, the other journeyman of the club. Both outstanding clubmen that quite obviously put in their all every game, both are winding up on their careers, and neither likely to be named an Immortal any time soon. No where near as much vitriol surrounding Glenn though

Active Now

• Browny
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.