NEWS Jamayne Isaako inspired by his father’s desperate fight against cancer

He's been flying since he came back after his couple of weeks off for personal reasons. Makes you wonder if possibly that's what's been holding him back this season, off-field dramas with a family illness.

I said this at half time in the live game thread against the Titans, his drop in form seemed so strange to me, he was so good last season and his form drop off didn't seem due to lack of effort or fitness, it was clearly mental, now we know why.

I completely forgive him for this season, having lost 2 family members recently to cancer I know how much of a toll it can take on your day-to-day mentality, can't even imagine having to go out and perform in front of 40,000 people with that weighing on you.

Yeah I haven’t said anything about Isaako since I found out a while ago. Hopefully the old fella can hang on as long he can and enjoy the time left watching Jamayne kill it for us

Can't even begin to think how hard it would be, I'm not close with my dad but would still tear me up.

Crazy that when faced with something so deeply meaningful that you would even consider how it’s effecting your job.

I know footy is a bit different but with how this must put things in perspective I would completely understand if Isaako was interviewed about his form and his reply was “**** footy”.

All the best to this young man and his family.

Given the record that we haven’t beaten storm in Suncorp for ten years, I’d say we don’t have a good shot, but if the boys can lift the game just for helping their mates old man enjoy watching the game, we might still have a shot!

Luckily he's got a top bloke in Joffa who fully understands what he is going through to help. I have to say Joffa's family struggles is always in the back of mind when people have a dig about his performance.

They saying goes that a champion team will always beat a team of champions. At the moment we have a team of up and coming champions, what they are all sharing as they go through the season is slowly moulding them into a champion team.

Good luck to the kid. Hope his old man gets to celebrate his 50th and live to see his son slip a GF ring on his finger.

It’s sad that Isaako has to go through this agony. Real depressing. When we face these kind of challenges, the only way to overcome is, to be strong mentally and hope for the best. It appears that Isaako is doing that already. Good on him & wish him best.

To lace on the boots and perform well wouldnt be no easy feat considering the circumstances. Much respect for his father and his own mental strength.

No life is not fair Jamayne Isaako far from it but You are a man first , which comes with all its responsibilities , then a professional sportsman , so use your life experience and let the love and life that your father gave you , be that driving force to make you want to work harder ,to be the best person and the best footballer you can be .

NRL did a video on Isaako.

That was a really good watch.

Isaako comes across as such a wholesome mature fella for his age. They say the successful clubs recruit on character first, he seems to have it.

I may not rate him as a top tier fullback but I'd love nothing more than for him to have a long successful career with us and really hit that next level as a player.

Active Now

• Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.