Jamayne Isaako puts shaky start behind him

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
0cdc5fae5942d402d3f80f69c6fececc

Jamayne Isaako’s journey to Brisbane via Cronulla and the 2011 Christchurch earthquake

June 13, 2018

JAMAYNE Isaako’s matchwinning heroics against the Roosters three weeks ago were off the Richter scale, but it was a real life experience with an earthquake that has shaped Brisbane’s goalkicking Iceman.

This Saturday night, Isaako will take on former club Cronulla and Shane Flanagan, the Sharks coach who flew to New Zealand to sign him to the scholarship that paved a path to NRL stardom.

Few know of the adversity Isaako has overcome to make it at the Broncos, but Flanagan knows his journey better than most.

Isaako was 15 when Flanagan arrived in Christchurch in 2013 to sign the teenager on the advice of Sharks scouts.

At the time, Isaako barely knew the rules of rugby league and had dreamt of becoming an All Black before Flanagan struck, diverting the rugby union-mad attacking whiz into the NRL system.

When Isaako runs onto familiar terrain at Shark Park, it will trigger vivid memories for Flanagan, who recalled the winger’s family ordeal during the Christchurch earthquake in 2011.

The tragedy ripped through Christchurch, killing 185 people, and Isaako was fortunate to escape unscathed from one of New Zealand’s worst catastrophes.

“Actually, it was pretty scary what he went through,” Flanagan said.

“I was the guy who signed Jamayne and I remember him telling me all about the earthquake and how frightening it was for his family.

“Jamayne and his siblings were at school when the earthquake hit.

“For seven or eight hours, his mum didn’t know where they were. They were stuck at school and couldn’t get home because there were huge craters in the road, water mains had burst and they were stranded.

“Jamayne told me his mum was waiting at home but hadn’t heard a thing from them. Like any parent, she was wondering if her children were OK and seven hours later, she’s thinking, ‘Where are they?’

“Thankfully they got home safe.”

Isaako spent four years at the Sharks and was largely a revelation in their lower grades, but briefly lost his way when he became homesick.

Struggling with life in Sydney, Isaako’s manager reached out to Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, whose mentoring has helped the 22-year-old develop into a consistent force in the NRL.

While Isaako has played just 13 NRL games, Flanagan isn’t surprised by his flashes of brilliance this season and is wary of his impact this Saturday night.

“He got homesick and ended up at the Broncos, but he was always a super talent,” he said.

“In junior reps for us, he was scoring tries and kicking goals from everywhere, just like he is doing now in the NRL. Even back then I knew he could play the game.

“He went a bit quiet from the years when he was 17 to 19, but he has got his act together and is playing outstanding football. He was actually a five-eighth for us in the lower grades.

“He played rugby union too so it’s good that rugby league has got him. I always knew he was a brilliant striker of the ball. He is very similar to a young Valentine Holmes, I’m glad to see he has made it.”

Source: Courier Mail

Still a bit shaky but still a rookie. He is a much better player than I ever imagined. He has got a decent career ahead of him.

Aye, we all need to remember this is a young bloke still coming to grips with the NRL.

He's got a big future in my opinion. Give him a couple of years to iron out the errors, and we'll be sweet as. I really wouldn't mind seeing him get a consistent run at fullback.

Potentially a top quality goal kicker for the next 10 years.

I officially take back my Kicking Maranta comment. Bloke can't catch like Maranta used to. Playing well though

Not to mention I’m not sure he has as much toe as Maranta either...

:porthozthinksthisishot:

Last edited:
Not to mention I’m not sure he has as much toe as Maranta either...

:porthozthinksthisishot:

I don’t hear of any elite-level sprinting, so you’re probably right.

Poor Maranta. How’s he going for the Reds?

Probably still hasn't played a game?

Played 3 games according to Wikipedia. I dunno what happened to him, he looked promising in his first year at the club where he only played a few games. Went to shit afterwards. Can't even blame it on the injuries like Steve Michaels could.

I don’t hear of any elite-level sprinting, so you’re probably right.

Poor Maranta. How’s he going for the Reds?

I spoke to a friend of mine who for some reason likes rugby (as well as the Broncs) a while back and he has said he has been going surprisingly well.

Good on him, don’t wish bad luck on the guy, but goddamn he was ordinary for us...

Active Now

• Santa
  • Dazza 92
  • Jazza
  • Xarr
  • Broncs1459
  • Astro
  • Financeguy
  • Spoon
  • john1420
  • Ondi
  • Manofoneway
  • levikaden
  • Fitzy
  • Bucking Beads
  • Tim K
  • BruiserMk1
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.