Jamayne Isaako re-signs

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/08/25/jamayne_to_build_on_.af_news.html

THE NRMA Insurance Broncos have today announced the re-signing of NRL rookie Jamayne Isaako.
Isaako has inked a new one-year deal, with the aim to build on his NRL debut this season.
The 21 year-old New Zealand product is a former Sharks lower grader who came to the Broncos at the start of the 2016 season.
After some super displays for the Souths Logan Magpies in the Intrust Super Cup this year, he made his NRL debut this year.
Isaako acquitted himself well at fullback in that debut match as the Broncos beat the Knights 34-22 last month.
He said the new deal would give him the opportunity to keep learning from one of the best fullbacks in the game in Darius Boyd.
“It was a bit intimidating at first getting the news I was making my debut,” said Isaako of his first match.
“But by the time the game came around and with all the training we had done, I was confident I could do my job.
“Darius has been there from day one since I started training at fullback.
“Hopefully I will look to play more consistent footy with the top 17 next year.”

Well hopefully he can get play some more consistent first grade next season either at wing, centre or fullback.

In the interview he said he had been told to train in a number of different positions in the off season.

So that sounds promising.

Don't think he's played on the wing or trained on the wing for the Broncos, only at fullback, would be a bad idea to throw him in the deep end. They need his goal kicking in the side.

No reason he couldn't play on the wing for us until he's ready for fullback.

He's a decent player but I'm not sure if he will ever forge a regular career at the Broncos. Vacancies are minimal and I'm not sure if he is good enough to ever demand a spot.

No reason he couldn't play on the wing for us until he's ready for fullback.

Yep, I'm not really sure the BASICS are that different. Catch bombs and run hard.

For whatever reason, players just struggle to play certain positions.

Look at Clinton Gutherson, a complete no-hoper on the wing, but at fullback, centre or five-eighth he's a gun.

I don't think Isaako is a winger.

I'm sure if he trains on the wing all pre-season he should be able to play well there.

Some players can spend three or four pre-seasons there, unless they have a knack for it, it isn't going to make a difference.

Isaako is more of a skillful player, not a athletic or physical marvel.

look at Lockyer. He wasn't made for the wing. I guess it depends who fills that big bullocking role at the start of sets. If no-one steps in to fill it, he would be seen as a deficiency. If someone does, his speed and ball skills might count for something. Moga's doing it for one wing at the moment. Admittedly Isaako's skills are more suited to fullback and eventually someone has to step into that role. Broncos need to decide whos in their succession plan and who isn't. If he's let go, though and knick stays, only to be let go for taylor, our fullback options become fewer when boyd calls it a day. I think it's a lot closer to happening than people think. Thats just a guess though, based on what I see as a decline in Boyd's athletic ability, currently being covered over by his amazing ball skills. Another year, I'm guessing is all he might have left.

He spent a lot of time in the centres perhaps he's a chance next season if bird is playing lock

Wouldn't be against that but we'd definitely need someone to shoulder the work of moga in the starting rucks. I can't see Pearson, kahu, mead, Boyd managing it anywhere near as good. Boyd can manage a good run, but is injury prone, as is kahu. Pearson lacks the physique or attitude at the moment, but that may change. Roberts is surprisingly good in those early hit ups, when he is in form and in the game (a shame its not as often as we'd like). Perhaps Pearson could learn from him or watch Hancock's runs on tape. He seemed a lot better at hit ups when he first started.
As much as its not integral to a winger or centre's role, like goal kicking its a vital job for someone,who like Oates does, gets some forward momentum early, or like Hancock did (or roberts does) just puts the defence off their game, with a probing run. I'd prefer whoever ends up in the role, has the capacity to last the game without injury, and does not get bullied into slow play-the-balls.

Unread

Active Now

• Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.