James Roberts opens up about resurrecting his career

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/afa7e8c3af9f380d6a05eaba4f157a98

e18604642ae84cd9674546d398a03d3a

BRONCOS weapon James Roberts has opened up about resurrecting his career at Brisbane as he chases NRL finals redemption.
Roberts, along with winger Jordan Kahu, will be charged with shutting down Storm speedster Josh Addo-Carr in tonight’s blockbuster preliminary final against Melbourne at AAMI Park.
This is the deepest in a season Roberts has ever been during a seven-year NRL career which has had its share of ups and downs.
Roberts, 24, made his NRL debut for South Sydney in 2011 before being punted by the Rabbitohs and picked up by Penrith.
He made six appearances for the Panthers in 2013 before being sacked, again for disciplinary reasons, and headed to the Gold Coast Titans in 2014.
After 36 games across two seasons at the Titans, Roberts walked out the door following a contract bungle and arrived at Red Hill in preparation for the 2016 season.
Roberts did not miss a game for the Broncos last year until a moment of madness cost him a spot in an epic elimination final against the Cowboys.
In week one of the finals against the Titans, Roberts lashed out and kicked Gold Coast forward Ryan Simpkins, earning a one-match suspension.
He watched on television as Brisbane’s season came to a heartbreaking end in an extra-time thriller in Townsville and has been left wondering ever since whether he could have made a difference.
Roberts has only missed one match this season and said he felt at home at Brisbane after inking a four-year contract extension.
“I’m very happy at the club,” he said.
“I re-signed for another four years. That’s an indication how good the club is and how I feel about the club.
“Obviously it is (a show of faith). Hopefully I am repaying it.”
Roberts spent his first season at the Broncos last year finetuning his defence under the tutelage of Wayne Bennett.
He scored nine tries in 25 matches last year and has doubled his return to 18 in 25 games this season.
Along with fellow centre Tautau Moga (26 games), Roberts has been a constant in a backline that’s been rocked by injuries throughout the year.
And he said the Broncos deserved all the success they could get if they are able to knock off Melbourne and qualify for the grand final.
“I’ve enjoyed this year,” he said.
“We went a bit quiet but we’re slowly finding some form. It hasn’t really sunk in (that I’m playing a preliminary final).
“The boys have tried really hard. We’ve put a lot of effort in this year. The boys deserve everything we get.
“We grow in confidence when we defend well. Hopefully we can do that and give them a good game.”

Thanks for your efforts this year Jimmy and good working cleaning up your off-field stuff. Looking forward to a season where we can use your talents to their full extent.

Lets hope he doesn't go pulling chicks hairs this off-season.

Is it time to move him to the left? I feel like Glenn is a much better decoy runner than Gillett, and we go left a lot more than right.

Roberts: more about being a team player than counting his tries. A bit more support play would be great next year. Watching Hodges highlights would be a great start

I haven't really seen anyone winge about Roberts he doesn't pass all the time when he can either but i still like him as a player, speed to kill and can find the gaps and beet players through tackles.

I haven't really seen anyone winge about Roberts he doesn't pass all the time when he can either but i still like him as a player, speed to kill and can find the gaps and beet players through tackles.

Yes but he CAN and DOES pass whwn needed, unlike the bonehead on the left.

Can he resurrect his freakish play as well?

We just aren't using the Roberts the way he should be used.

Bird reportedly left the Sharks because he was frustrated at not being able to play the way he wanted to due to not getting enough quality ball etc..

I wonder how long it will take Roberts to start feeling the same.

IMG 3232

Found this pic on a broncos group on Facebook James Roberts playing for a indigenous team by the looks of it!

View attachment 1930

Found this pic on a broncos group on Facebook James Roberts playing for a indigenous team by the looks of it!
Koori Knockout comp.
Sprinkled among them are half a dozen current NRL stars. James Roberts. Tyrone Peachey. Chris Sandow, the Fifita brothers and Latrell Mitchell.
They play because it’s back to their grassroots and it’s about their spirituality.
Mundine turned out for Nanima against the Redfern All Blacks.
They won 26-6 and advanced to the next round on Sunday.

I'm surprised their clubs let them play

Koori Knockout comp.
Sprinkled among them are half a dozen current NRL stars. James Roberts. Tyrone Peachey. Chris Sandow, the Fifita brothers and Latrell Mitchell.
They play because it’s back to their grassroots and it’s about their spirituality.
Mundine turned out for Nanima against the Redfern All Blacks.
They won 26-6 and advanced to the next round on Sunday.

Ok, sounds like a good comp.

It’s fantastic that we have him for (ideally) another four seasons. I honestly didn’t think it’d be that long a deal when it happened. Can we please get everything out of him? He can be our new Renouf. And the Pearl could win a title or four

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.