PLAYER Jamil Hopoate Discussion

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
99% of the time, I would be giving a player with 3 first grade games a bit more rope. This is an example of the 1%. If you're playing as trash as that at 25, lets be honest, you aren't really gonna see much improvement. Across his opening 3 games, it has been a shitshow in rare company.

Hopoate in his 180 minutes of NRL football this season..

4 errors, 3 penalties conceded, 12 missed tackles, 5 ineffective tackles.

Remarkable.

Yep, he's been utterly shocking, and can count himself very lucky that we are suddenly so thin in the second row. Judging by what I'm seeing, he probably shouldn't get too comfortable.

We definitely need to sign another back rower to help us cover the loss of TPJ for 2 more weeks, Glenn for 2-4 weeks and Fifita for 4-6 weeks.

If Te'o is available, he's the obvious answer, if he's not, I was looking through some options who are on expiring contracts that aren't in their current clubs plans, each of these guys could be options to sign for the remainder of the season:

Aidan Guerra, Jayson Bukuya, Chris McQueen.

We definitely need to sign another back rower to help us cover the loss of TPJ for 2 more weeks, Glenn for 2-4 weeks and Fifita for 4-6 weeks.

If Te'o is available, he's the obvious answer, if he's not, I was looking through some options who are on expiring contracts that aren't in their current clubs plans, each of these guys could be options to sign for the remainder of the season:

If we could pick up Bukuya on the cheap, he'd be a good addition.

I don’t think I could stand McQueen at the club.

He is a player who has only really thrived in ISC as a lock. The experiment at Redcliffe playing him as an edge backrower wasnt really successful and they moved him.

If we were looking at a backrower from outside the NRL, maybe Nixon Putt from the Norths Devils. Hits like a truck, can play a bit of center as well. Could turn out to be as effective as somebody like his fellow Kumul Justin Olam

He is a player who has only really thrived in ISC as a lock. The experiment at Redcliffe playing him as an edge backrower wasnt really successful and they moved him.

If we were looking at a backrower from outside the NRL, maybe Nixon Putt from the Norths Devils. Hits like a truck, can play a bit of center as well. Could turn out to be as effective as somebody like his fellow Kumul Justin Olam
I'm all for more PNGs in the team. They all seem to be made of granite regardless of where they play - wing, center or forward they're as tough as teak. And let's face it PNG is the only country on the planet where Rugby League is considered the national sport, so they live and die by our code.

I wasn't a fan of how he lost the ball and it was easy for him to regather in the air, but it looked like he didn't want to get hit in the ribs and just gave up on it.

Is he better utilized off the bench in the middle rotation then??

Basically all our middles play prop so if he was used in the middle rotation he could basically just come on as the lock.

Or does he thrive at lock because in the ISC he gets the opportunity to ball play or something else?

His body shape and play style looks to be suited to the second row in the NRL, but does his game at lock in the ISC actually translate to the NRL or is he more like an undersized middle forward when he's playing in the NRL?

Last edited:
Is he better utilized off the bench in the middle rotation then??

Basically all our middles play prop so if he was used in the middle rotation he could basically just come on as the lock.

Or does he thrive at lock because in the ISC he gets the opportunity to ball play or something else?

His body shape and play style looks to be suited to the second row in the NRL, but does his game at lock in the ISC actually translate to the NRL or is he more like an undersized middle forward when he's playing in the NRL?

He is very much a creative player for Redcliffe. He gets his hands on the ball a fair bit and makes things happen. We dont really use our lock in that way so i'm not even sure coming off the bench would help his cause. He probably just doesnt fit the way we play rather than his game not translating. That being said, i just dont think he will ever be a regular anywhere in the NRL. I've said it before that we would have to have a massive injury toll for him to get a shot here and thats how its panned out.

Last edited:
He shouldn’t be in first grade, and certainly not starting.

He’s a serviceable player and good for depth, but no more.

Not fair to criticise him directly as we didn’t have too many shining lights on Thursday, but I can’t see him remaining once the injured brigade return.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • MrTickyMcG
  • LittleDavey
  • Xzei
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • lynx000
  • Stix
  • heartly87
  • Wolfie
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • NSW stables
  • Alec
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.