*Jobseekers* and *help needed*

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Cleaning services guys, don't be too proud to get a job as a cleaner.

It's a shit fucking job, but there will always be a need for cleaners even in a lockdown. I would avoid shopping centres because a lockdown does seem inevitable but office cleaners, there will always be a need for them.

If you can get a job cleaning Centrelink offices, you're golden. It's good pay and it's easy work. Centrelink workers need to be in a secured environment so they aren't going to have all of their workers working from home.

Ambulance stations and hospitals are also another area where you will keep your job if a lockdown happens.

Like I said, shit job. But the pay is usually good and a lot of them pay penalty rates as well plus there will always be a need for cleaners.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Cleaning services guys, don't be too proud to get a job as a cleaner.

It's a shit fucking job, but there will always be a need for cleaners even in a lockdown. I would avoid shopping centres because a lockdown does seem inevitable but office cleaners, there will always be a need for them.

If you can get a job cleaning Centrelink offices, you're golden. It's good pay and it's easy work. Centrelink workers need to be in a secured environment so they aren't going to have all of their workers working from home.

Ambulance stations and hospitals are also another area where you will keep your job if a lockdown happens.

Like I said, shit job. But the pay is usually good and a lot of them pay penalty rates as well plus there will always be a need for cleaners.
Agree mate, pride and personal taste gets in the way of logic. I drive a truck/van on graveyard shifts because it’s easy work for okay pay. I don’t do it because I love it. It serves a purpose.

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
So my company may or may not be applying for the Jobkeeper allowance for me and my colleagues, but said we won't find out for another week or so.

Does anyone know if this impacts me looking for work currently, e.g if I got a role with Coles or whatever in a casual role for the time being would I then need to relinquish the 1500 that my company will be paying employees under the new scheme?

It's a bit frustrating not knowing if I can go to interviews or not with the uncertainty of my position.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
So my company may or may not be applying for the Jobkeeper allowance for me and my colleagues, but said we won't find out for another week or so.

Does anyone know if this impacts me looking for work currently, e.g if I got a role with Coles or whatever in a casual role for the time being would I then need to relinquish the 1500 that my company will be paying employees under the new scheme?

It's a bit frustrating not knowing if I can go to interviews or not with the uncertainty of my position.
Your boss needs to give a yes / no answer. It's not that difficult, remind them that they're playing with people's lives.

If you were employed for 12 months as of March 1, and your employer has dropped 30% (50% for large corps) of business, they are eligible, and those payments start from May, and are back dated.

Get the other staff to push the boss. This is your life, **** that guy, he needs to do the right thing here and tell you today.

Last edited:

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Your boss needs to give a yes / no answer. It's not that difficult, remind them that they're playing with people's lives.

If you were employed for 12 months as of March 1, and your employer has dropped 30% (50% for large corps) of business, they are eligible, and those payments start from May, and are back dated.

Get the other staff to push the boss. This is your life, **** that guy, he needs to do the right thing here and tell you today.
Thanks mate, we're trying and constantly getting HRs response saying there's no point in all the emails as they will let us know when they know something.

From what I understood the eligibility for employees was any full-time staff regardless of length of employment provided they were employed as of 1st of March, and then any casuals who have been there a minimum of 12 months?

I wasn't casual but for those who were there long-term, are they now able to claim the Jobkeeper allowance AND find alternative work now? Or is it similar to the Jobseeker where its either on or the other

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Thanks mate, we're trying and constantly getting HRs response saying there's no point in all the emails as they will let us know when they know something.

From what I understood the eligibility for employees was any full-time staff regardless of length of employment provided they were employed as of 1st of March, and then any casuals who have been there a minimum of 12 months?

I wasn't casual but for those who were there long-term, are they now able to claim the Jobkeeper allowance AND find alternative work now? Or is it similar to the Jobseeker where its either on or the other
I wouldn't be doing anything to remove myself from a job at the moment given the unknowns, or asking Fair Work, the ATO, or some other body that can give you exacts.

I'd be pushing back on your HR team too. Tell them exactly what you're saying here, and what you're concerns are. If they still act like cunts, out **** them and put in a HR complaint.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

I don't see why it would.

Wage subsidies have been around for yonks, it hasn't impacted people looking for more work in the past and I don't see why it would now.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I don't see why it would.

Wage subsidies have been around for yonks, it hasn't impacted people looking for more work in the past and I don't see why it would now.
This is not CL, and it has not been done in Australia before.

AndyB

QCup Player
Great idea mate.
I am in the unsure section of what will happen to my position.
Based in Perth, I had been offered a full-time position at the Karratha gas plant with UGL (electrician by trade, finishing off my instrumentation trade cert) after doing a shutdown as a casual, as of the last week or so.
I'm back here now on another swing but on a casual contract.
Woodside have slashed their original forecast due to the oil and LNG drop in price, and that includes the Karratha life extension project which I'm on.
Got demobilised yesterday, the remaining permanent FIFO and local guys are finishing off loose ends over the next few weeks.

Woodside are making the site a quarantine zone in lockdown for their critical operational staff, this will start the 20th April for around 8 weeks at this stage.

We'll be back, I'd say in a few months time.
Back to the shrinking drawing board.
There are opportunities opening up for WA resource sector jobs with the unfortunate situation where eastern state workers can't fly into WA.

roo-ted

NRL Player
Got demobilised yesterday, the remaining permanent FIFO and local guys are finishing off loose ends over the next few weeks.

Woodside are making the site a quarantine zone in lockdown for their critical operational staff, this will start the 20th April for around 8 weeks at this stage.

We'll be back, I'd say in a few months time.
Back to the shrinking drawing board.
There are opportunities opening up for WA resource sector jobs with the unfortunate situation where eastern state workers can't fly into WA.
I know a few electricians if you are ever chasing work around Brisbane

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Update:

It looks like I may of now found a casual role that can provide 15-25 hours a week, which I obviously need. The only problem is I can't seem to find anywhere that explicitly states that I can both claim the Jobkeeper payment from my current employer (as we have been stood down but not let go) as well as take on a new source of income.

I don't want to potentially lose $1500 if the amount the casual role brings in equates to less, is anyone able to share some more insight into this?

Much appreciated guys!

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
Update:

It looks like I may of now found a casual role that can provide 15-25 hours a week, which I obviously need. The only problem is I can't seem to find anywhere that explicitly states that I can both claim the Jobkeeper payment from my current employer (as we have been stood down but not let go) as well as take on a new source of income.

I don't want to potentially lose $1500 if the amount the casual role brings in equates to less, is anyone able to share some more insight into this?

Much appreciated guys!
Were you casual for your current employer as well? I know if you were 12 months casual with your current employer you’d be eligible for the stimulus. But then I think they also look at your partners income too? It all gets grey af once you have a partner, kids and investments

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
Were you casual for your current employer as well? I know if you were 12 months casual with your current employer you’d be eligible for the stimulus. But then I think they also look at your partners income too? It all gets grey af once you have a partner, kids and investments
No, with my current employer I'm full time and eligible for the payments should they qualify.
They sent an update saying they've applied and are awaiting the ATOs approval.
Its more just the uncertainty of if adding a new income into my household will affect my current employment status

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
No, with my current employer I'm full time and eligible for the payments should they qualify.
They sent an update saying they've applied and are awaiting the ATOs approval.
Its more just the uncertainty of if adding a new income into my household will affect my current employment status
It might be worthwhile asking on a site like Whirlpool forums. I’m sure there would be people with the right answers there. Reddit maybe, too?

BroncosAlways

NRL Player
Home
It might be worthwhile asking on a site like Whirlpool forums. I’m sure there would be people with the right answers there. Reddit maybe, too?
BHQ is literally the extent of my internet uses, I wouldn't know where to start asking on those things but I'll look around. Surely can't be the only one in this position, although I know a fair few people who aren't going to even look for work as they will rely solely on the Jobkeeper allowance.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
BHQ is literally the extent of my internet uses, I wouldn't know where to start asking on those things but I'll look around. Surely can't be the only one in this position, although I know a fair few people who aren't going to even look for work as they will rely solely on the Jobkeeper allowance.
I’ve just been looking around online for you mate and you are right, it’s bloody hard to get an answer on this, but I think I may have found it:

In the right side column, it lends me to believe that you will still get the $1500 (before tax) even if you work multiple jobs, but you can only claim it once (ie for one employer only).

Interestingly, it also seems to state that you should receive your full time wage if higher than $1500/ft.

I did only skim read, so have a good look yourself. Hope this helps mate.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I’ve just been looking around online for you mate and you are right, it’s bloody hard to get an answer on this, but I think I may have found it:

In the right side column, it lends me to believe that you will still get the $1500 (before tax) even if you work multiple jobs, but you can only claim it once (ie for one employer only).

Interestingly, it also seems to state that you should receive your full time wage if higher than $1500/ft.

I did only skim read, so have a good look yourself. Hope this helps mate.
I think the idea is that the company taking the money make up the difference.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I think the idea is that the company taking the money make up the difference.
Yep, exactly. Good news for many.

There doesn’t seem to be anything stopping you from getting more casual work either. The Job Keeper payment is NOT means tested.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teak1983

Members online

Twitter