NEWS Joe Ofahengaue charged for alcohol related offence in a vehicle

The problem with trees is they suck up precious water and the leaves become bushfire fuel. Maybe he should dig a dam instead.
Not sure if you're taking the piss or not here matey, so I'll leave it well alone.

Not sure if you're taking the piss or not here matey, so I'll leave it well alone.
That's the wonderful thing about this subject. Everyone is right and wrong at the same time.

LOL. The fuckwit meter needle might be swinging from the cop back towards Joe now.
[automerge]1580077247[/automerge]

Better to pass out on the footpath next to your car. My mate did that and the cops were nice enough to drop him home.

I probably would too. ‘Probably’. There have been more than a few instances where NRL players’ ego’s get the better of them...

I was thinking what an idiot when I heard...

But ffs I'd be giving my son a handshake and telling him well done if he slept in the car. Ofa actively avoided driving the car, he made the conscious decision to do the safe thing by himself and the community.
I didn't even realise it was against the law.

Either way, puts him on the back foot for the lock spot. No way he gets it now. He had to get first shot and completely dominate it to hold out any competition.
Well its not as simple as that. I did this when i was younger and I am sure we all did. We all know what happens when daylight hits. You pull the keys out of your pocket, put it into the ignition and turn the key. You feel ok but in reality your over the limit. Your just another drunk driver but instead of doing at night your out on the road in the morning with families on the road. Same happens if you stay the night at a mates. If you get up early and drive home. You think your doing the right thing but your not. More education needs to be done on this for everyone. In reality we should not be drinking until miday or later all depends on time of your last drink and how much you had.

In positive news for joffa, this is unlikely to be the biggest news in league. Reports coming in that Curtis scott (previously melbourne, now canberra centre) was just done for assaulting police. Apparently had to be tased to be subdued
The way he carries on on the field (must be somewhat of a prerequisite for being an outside back at the Storm), this does not surprise me in the slightest.

This story clearly proves that the contract figures being thrown around are bullshit. Someone on $500k a year could surely afford a taxi home.

Can you buy some brains for 500k though?

Well its not as simple as that. I did this when i was younger and I am sure we all did. We all know what happens when daylight hits. You pull the keys out of your pocket, put it into the ignition and turn the key. You feel ok but in reality your over the limit. Your just another drunk driver but instead of doing at night your out on the road in the morning with families on the road. Same happens if you stay the night at a mates. If you get up early and drive home. You think your doing the right thing but your not. More education needs to be done on this for everyone. In reality we should not be drinking until miday or later all depends on time of your last drink and how much you had.
Hate to be picky but it drives me bonkers 😬 You do know there's a difference between your and you're don't you? I mean you used your instead of you're five times in eight lines!!! It takes the same amount of time to type and it makes it appear as though English class wasn't wasted! All my love, Huge.

As Jason Simmons said, you need to be deemed in charge of the vehicle. He should've driven instead of sleeping cause at .125 blood alcohol, you're definitely not in charge. That car is making you her bitch when you're that far gone. Prob would've helped to close his eyes. Reality is, if he'd woken up in the morning, he would definitely still have been way over. Try and imagine driving your kids to the playground and some fella that was nice enough to sleep in his car the night before cleans your kids door up at an intersection. My good mate lost his whole family to a drink driver. I have no tolerance. Taxi or just fucking jog home. Exercise helps metabolise the booze so you're not so hungover the next day.

So just for some perspective here fellas, I am 51 years old and I had no idea whatsoever that it was illegal to sleep one off in the car.

Foolishly I thought to be considered Driving Under the Influence, you actually had to be, ya know, driving.

How silly of me.

So just for some perspective here fellas, I am 51 years old and I had no idea whatsoever that it was illegal to sleep one off in the car.

Foolishly I thought to be considered Driving Under the Influence, you actually had to be, ya know, driving.

How silly of me.
Well now you do. I hope the NRL rewards Joe for his important community work in raising awareness around this issue.

How silly of me.
Keys in the ignition and turned on is definitely considered driving. I can't imagine anyone else reasonably suggesting otherwise.

I accept it was probably just to run the air conditioner, but the line has to be drawn somewhere on when driving commences, and engaging the ignition to me seems to be a pretty reasonable one to settle on.

Last edited:
I am finding it hard to really feel any outrage over this. He thought he was doing the right thing and it turns out he wasn’t. He’s certainly an idiot for not getting an uber but a suspension is over the top I think. Fine him and get on with trying to win a premiership.

Keys in the ignition and turned on is definitely considered driving. I can't imagine anyone else reasonably suggesting otherwise.

I accept it was probably just to run the air conditioner, but the line has to be drawn somewhere on when driving commences, and engaging the ignition to me seems to be a pretty reasonable one to settle on.
I get where you're coming from and agree in the main. However if it could be established that he hadn't driven anywhere and was just using the aircon, for example if he was parked in the streer outside the house where the party had been with a nice puddle of aircon water under the car, I think a caution could be appropriate. Not sure how much discretion the coppers have in this regard though.

Last edited:
I get where you're coming from and agree in the main. However if it could be established that he hadn't driven anywhere and was just using the aircon, for example if he was parked in the streer outside the house where the party had been with a nice puddle of aircon water under the car, I think a caution could be appropriate. Not sure how much discretion the coppers have in this regard though.
Yeah I don't disagree with that. I'm all for discretion for the Officer at the time and applying common sense where possible.

I was simply responding to the other poster who said what he was doing didn't constitute driving, and I think from the perspective of the law, putting the keys in the ignition and turning the car on is a pretty reasonable definition of when driving or operating the vehicle has begun.

I'm very glad he didn't drive, but there's every chance he would have still been well over the limit once he woke up in the morning and drove home anyway.

It's not like he couldn't have afforded an Uber home...

Last edited:

How silly of me.

That’s because people foolishly believe the offence in Qld is ‘driving under the influence.’

Hint: it isn’t.

It isn’t considered driving. The offence is for being ‘in charge’ of a motor vehicle whilst having being under the influence of liquor or a drug.

Vehicle offences involving liquor or other drugs (1) Offence of driving etc. while under the influence
Any person who, while under the influence of liquor or a drug—
(a) drives a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel; or
(b) attempts to put in motion a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel; or
(c) is in charge of a motor vehicle, tram, train or vessel;
is guilty of an offence and liable to a penalty not exceeding 28 penalty units or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 9 months.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • cento
  • bazza
  • Justwin
  • broncos4life
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.