John Grant Quits

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
UNDER-SIEGE NRL independent commission chairman John Grant has finally agreed to quit, ending months of speculation about his future.

In a move that will help end the turmoil and combat with the 16 clubs and the RLPA over future funding, Grant will stand down after five years in February.
The NRL has released the following press statement.
“Australian Rugby League Chairman John Grant today announced he will not stand for reappointment as a Commissioner at the end of his current term in February 2018.
Mr Grant was appointed as the inaugural Chairman of the Commission in February 2012 and will have completed his second term when he steps down.
c63224666d9f3a15e22b1a8cea4fee68

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg (right) and John Grant have been at odds over funding for the code.Source: Getty Images
“For some weeks I have deliberated on the changing face of the Commission post constitutional
reform should that occur this year and the need for a succession plan for the role of Chairman,” Mr Grant said.
“All well run organisations need time to properly plan for the future and my decision, at this time, assists this.
“In the months between now and February there is a lot to be done and I look forward to continuing
to lead the game as Chairman and applying all my energy to deal with the many opportunities and challenges that are before us.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/joh...utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=FoxSportsAus

you'd have to be a masochist to take on that job.

Probably about time.

What promise he started with was quickly eroded. It's the NRL. Self-opportunism, greed and out and out pettiness are the order of the day. By the end of it he was just trying to hang on.

It doesn't bode well for the future of the game. The clubs will continue to exert more pressure over what is a supposedly independent entity. Players will or won't strike but will get their pay rise regardless.

Expansion will never happen. Match fixing allegations, drug use will continue to plague the sport.

It seems the NRL is quite content to let Rugby League dwindle down into a niche sport played by the rich and watched by the poor of NSW and QLD.

Now let's get rid of Greenberg too and we'll really be getting somewhere.

Now let's get rid of Greenberg too and we'll really be getting somewhere.

He's untouchable. Even with all the pro-players and anti-NRL sentiment coming from the media, Greenberg is rarely mentioned.

Grant leaving will only further erode the "independence" of the commission, as the clubs will just get someone they can control into the job.

having said that Grant started to erode the independence of the commission when he backed down on the funding plan after the clubs threatened to have him removed.

so much for an independent commission

He's untouchable. Even with all the pro-players and anti-NRL sentiment coming from the media, Greenberg is rarely mentioned.

He's a shady fellow - been involved in some shady things.

Should never have got the job.

Last edited:
He's a shady fellow - been involved in some shady things.

Should never have got the job.

Do you have proof to back your claim?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have proof to back your claim?

I seem to recall him being lucky to escape charges during the Barba assault issue due to his involvement.

*Edited the post.

About fucking time the dickhead quit. How the **** he tries to explain we are running at a loss is flabbergasting

About fucking time the dickhead quit. How the **** he tries to explain we are running at a loss is flabbergasting

with all the money they are giving to the clubs it is possible. i did some maths the other day

Total from the TV deal starting in 2018 was : $1.8 billion (over 5 years)

assuming the salary cap gets to 10 million a year (looking likely) then the grants of 130% of the cap will total $1.04 billion (of $1.8 billion) over the 5 years.

not to mention they own the licences of the Titans, Tigers and Knights

then the fact they they need to rent stadiums (and all that goes with that, catering, security, ushers etc) for finals/rep games

and finally they need to give money to help support the QRL, NSWRL, CRL etc for grass roots footy.

with all the money they are giving to the clubs it is possible. i did some maths the other day

Total from the TV deal starting in 2018 was : $1.8 billion (over 5 years)

assuming the salary cap gets to 10 million a year (looking likely) then the grants of 130% of the cap will total $1.04 billion (of $1.8 billion) over the 5 years.

not to mention they own the licences of the Titans, Tigers and Knights

then the fact they they need to rent stadiums (and all that goes with that, catering, security, ushers etc) for finals/rep games

and finally they need to give money to help support the QRL, NSWRL, CRL etc for grass roots footy.

The 1.8 billion tv deal doesn't take into account revenue from digital media rights (250 mill), SOO and rep ticket sales (which more than cover stadium rentals and player payments). There is still 850-900 mill to split between admin, grass roots football and promotion. And I will tell you one thing, its not going to grass roots that's for sure. Its going toward overpaid NRL HQ employees who cant justify their jobs and their pay packets.

And consider too that the latest TV rights was incredibly lucrative, but not likely to be sustainable. Will the players be willing to have their salaries cut if the TV rights deals are not so lucrative in the future?

And consider too that the latest TV rights was incredibly lucrative, but not likely to be sustainable. Will the players be willing to have their salaries cut if the TV rights deals are not so lucrative in the future?

I'm sure Fox would make sure it remained sustainable if Nine don't want to pay enough for it.

of course they would :P

it actually reminds me of the scene in Mr. Deeds where the star quarterback want to re-negotiate a bigger contract because he is playing well.

Deeds then says "If you weren't playing well could we renegotiate and pay you less"

lol

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • lynx000
  • TimWhatley
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Justwin
  • sooticus
  • levikaden
  • achievedrap
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.