Johnathan Thurston to retire at the end of 2017

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Not sure if this has been posted already.

Thurston has revealed that he will retire from Rugby League at the end of 2018, but he will retire from rep footy at the end of 2017 after the World Cup. He said he will be the first player in the spine to retire, which indicates that Smith and Cronk will continue to play on in 2018. But he did also say that after the first game he started to have second thoughts about retiring at the end of 2017.

Who do you think should replace him? And do you think we should blood a couple of players next year to prepare for his retirement?

Last edited:
There's no one at the moment who can really replace him. I guess Morgan is the closest, but I don't think he'd go well with Cronk either.
We've got some promising youngsters and some potential mid-20s players, but they all have big flaws.

Probably Ben Hunt as I would imagine the QLD selectors would like to use that partnership of Milford and Hunt.

On Thurston, I've actually known about this for a while but haven't given it a thought ever since. He is irreplaceable and none of the players coming through are in the same class as him. He is a very special player that only comes around once in a blue moon. It will really hit the Maroons hard the absence of Thurston and it will hit harder if Smith and Cronk left at the same time. Can see a lot of similarities with the Maroons of today and the Australian cricket team of 2007 and what happened after.

I'd love to see Cronk and Milford play together. Cronk for the structure and game management so that Milf could just run hog wild.

Out of Thurston and Cronk, replacing Cronk will be the hardest for us because of his elite game management skills. We were extremely lucky to have Cronk take over from one of the best game managers we have ever seen in Locky straight away.

I thought I heard that this will be his last Origin campaign and next year he'll devote solely to the Cowboys, retiring at the end of 2017. I may have misinterpreted though.

Morgan is the perfect utility. It should be Milford slotting straight in, but we'll probably go with Morgan and drop a series or two after Smith and Cronk give it up (with Milf eventually taking the starting six spot).

Johnathan Thurston is the greatest ever QLD Origin player.

I get the Thurston love no doubt but **** me Cam Smith is the ultimate origin player. He is rivalling Wally these days and that is scary

Seriously though, when this group of legends is done, we are going to look back on them akin to the McGrath-Warne-Ponting-Hayden-Gilly-Martyn-Clarke-Symonds-Waugh era.

It will really sink in just how privileged we've all been when the names of Thurston, Lockyer, Smith, Scott, Slater, Inglis, Hodges et al are no longer there.

Last edited:
^^^ I think your right. Nsw dominated with 1 immorral in their side, it should come as no surprise that we dominate with 2 future immortals (smith & thurston)

Oh yeah that was a golden age of cricket for Australia

Last edited:
Seriously though, when this group of legends is done, we are going to look back on them akin to the McGrath-Warne-Ponting-Hayden-Gilly-Martyn-Clarke-Symonds-Waugh era.

It will really sink in just how privileged we've all been when the names of Thurston, Lockyer, Smith, Scott, Slater, Inglis, Hodges et al are no longer there.

The funny thing is when the dynasty started they were saying that it was our forwards - Price, Civa, Carroll etc that were the key to our success, then Johnson and Harrison came and went leaving "massive" holes. When KHunt and Folau exited the team they were wondering where our points would come from....Lockyer leaving was going to be the beginning of the end, and how could we win without Slater at the back?

It's quite interesting really how we've always managed to overcome the gap those players left behind and yet here we are. Still winning.

Cameron Smith is the key, but maybe, just maybe the culture is what will help us keep it together when he retires.

-----
Side bar: Geeze I still miss Matt the Bat Hayden.

^^^ I think your right. Nsw dominated with 1 immorral in their side, it should come as no surprise that we dominate with 2 future immortals (smith & thurston)

3 immortals (inc Lockyer) from 2005-2011.

They've passed the baton on actually. in 2006 it was Lockyer, Price and Civa that lead the way. When Lockyer was out in 2008 it was all JT. Then Lockyer came back and once he was gone JT stood up, then Cam Smith, then it was Cronk. They haven't had to "be the one" for the whole time, they've shared the role. You really can't single one player out. Which is the difference between us and them.

All they had was Gallen and Hayne really......they think we rely on JT or Smith so they've tried to copy us, but we don't - we're Qlders and everyone is important.

Oops... he's been gone so long i forgot him........oh the shame

Dominate? Come on, 3 in a row isn't even close to dominance anymore.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • FACTHUNT
  • Xzei
  • Financeguy
  • Allo
  • Fitzy
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Robboi_321
  • Brocko
  • Tmac
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.