JT's warning for Bronco Hunt

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
JOHNATHAN Thurston has warned Ben Hunt that fans will be on the attack this year if the star halfback cannot prove he is worth his multi-million dollar price tag.

Hunt is preparing for his final season with the Broncos, having signed a five-year deal with the Dragons from 2018.

It is understood to be one of the richest contracts in NRL history, with Hunt to make about $6 million.

But Thurston said the high value of the deal could cause some damage as it was a contract bringing added pressure.

The Cowboys sensation said people would want to see more from the halfback in 2017, with Broncos fans demanding he play his best while Dragons supporters watched to see what they could expect.

Thurston is adamant players should always do what’s best for themselves and their families, but thinks Hunt will be under fire.

“People will disagree but it comes down to what the player wants,” Thurston said.

“(Hunt) obviously wants a change.

“It will be very interesting to see how he goes for the first few weeks of the NRL season because people will be watching his game very closely.

“There’s a lot of pressure on him. If he has some not so good performances, there will be a lot of people calling for his neck.”

Despite Thurston’s concerns for the Broncos playmaker, he had learnt the 26-year-old could handle most problems that came his way.

The two worked together closely in Maroons camp while Hunt was being considered as a replacement for an injured Daly Cherry-Evans in Origin II in 2014.

Thurston said Hunt was a “laid-back customer” and he expected his fellow Queenslander to maintain his form despite the added pressure.

“When you play so many games for a club and have pretty much spent your whole life at one club, you want to put your best foot forward and be remembered as having given it your best,” he said.

“He’s moving on next year so I have no doubt he’ll want to put his best foot forward and give it all for the Broncos.”

Hunt said he was aware of the growing pressure on him, but was not concerned.

“Being at Brisbane, it’s a one-club city and we have very passionate fans,” he said.

“They’re always putting a lot of pressure on us. I’ve had a few years of that now, especially in my first year playing in the halves.

“A lot of people didn’t have faith in me ... I dealt with it that year and just moved on.

“There’s nothing in particular I do (to avoid the pressure), I just enjoy playing football so I focus on that.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/c2818c77c005dff5bae3e8e5743d502b

Huge pressure on a confidence type of player.

eh, i dont really see pressure tbh from either side. hunt has his money so he plays rubbish it doesn't matter to him financially, and if he plays rubbish brisbane have no issue dropping him from the side.

First thing I thought of when I read that article is that we go up against the Cowboys in Round 2. JT ain't silly, he's already trying to engineer a win for his team.

Absolutely, I was thinking the same thing. It's sorta like Arnold Schwarzenegger vs Lou Ferrigno in "Pumping Iron" Arnie had won the contest over Lou before the competition had even started with his mind games. Plus he was just better than Lou. JT is picking away and will know what to do on the night.

JT is focusing on the wrong player.

He must have forget Round 4, 2016.

Unread

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Gaz
  • lynx000
  • Behold
  • bert_lifts
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncsgoat
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • phoenix
  • Purple Pills
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • inwyn
  • Fozz
  • Xzei
  • winslow_wong
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.