Justin Hodges in action

Interesting that several others agree that he doesn't get the recognition he deserves amongst the wider NRL community.

Interesting also that people agree it's personality driven, and whilst I do agree that definitely plays a role for some, maybe even most, I think there is more to it than that and it comes back to his overall playing style looking at times so effortless and almost 'behind the scenes' that it can often go unnoticed and I think that had a big effect on people underrating him too.
I think what may have also contributed to Hodgo's lack of appreciation was at the time channel 9 (who were actually relevant to NRL at the time) would wax lyrical about Gasnier, Cooper, Tahu, etc.

I actually have no idea why Gasnier was so highly rated... unlike Hodgo I rarely recall him being able to make something from nothing. He was completely reliant on getting early ball to beat his man whereas Hodgo would just literally bust the game open from a dummy half run. Not to mention Hodgo had terrific ball playing, as evidenced by his stints at fullback where he legit looked liked he could've been one of the greats. Hodgo's defence is often downplayed as well, primarily because he wasn't all that great at tackling, but what he did extremely well was slide and use the touchline as a defender... even though Hodgo didn't look fast there were rarely ever times where his opposite would get around him. It wasn't until very late in his career that opposition centers realised they needed to cut in on his inside shoulder to beat him.

If I had to choose between Hodgo and any NSWRL center at the time I'm taking Hodgo all day every day... from what I can recall there's only one facet of center play where Gasnier beats Hodgo and that's one-on-one situations to score tries or getting outside the opposite and flick passing to the winger. Hodgo wasn't really a try scoring center, at least I can't recall him being one at the peak of his career, but he had a great knack of setting up his winger (never hogged it during an overlap or threw a nothing pass) or creating something from nothing... and I would say that is potentially just as important as scoring your own tries.

I don't recall what Gasnier did that made him loved by NSWRL so much, other than being blonde and probably surfing at Bondi.

Although I think the overarching reason is that NSW fans just absolutely despised Hodgo... not just because he would consistantly get under their players skins in origin, but probably because they realised with GI and Hodgo we had one of, if not the best center pairings to play together of all time.

One of the best things I loved about Hodgo was his kick and chase. Remember him and JYY would almost always pin the returning fullback in their own ingoal. It was a thing of beauty.

So underrated.

His injuries are the main reason he is underrated down south. Remember everyone used to call him the tampon, in for 1 week out for 3.

One of the best things I loved about Hodgo was his kick and chase. Remember him and JYY would almost always pin the returning fullback in their own ingoal. It was a thing of beauty.

So underrated.

His injuries are the main reason he is underrated down south. Remember everyone used to call him the tampon, in for 1 week out for 3.
Being from Sydney, I can say in my experience the injuries are much less of an issue than the perception of him and his attitude on the field are.

1. Slater/Hunt
2. Boyd/Gagai
3. Inglis/Tate
4. Hodges/Folau
5. JYY/Sing
6. Lockyer/Prince
7. Thurston/Cronk
8. Civoniceva/Scott
9. Smith/Ballin
10. Price/Hannant
11. Myles/Harrison
12. Thaiday/Gillett
13. Parker/Johnson

14. Berrigan/Morgan
15. Shillington/McGuire
16. Papalii/Teo
17. Carroll/Crocker

No wonder that Qld side was so freakishly good for a decade.

I think what may have also contributed to Hodgo's lack of appreciation was at the time channel 9 (who were actually relevant to NRL at the time) would wax lyrical about Gasnier, Cooper, Tahu, etc.

I actually have no idea why Gasnier was so highly rated... unlike Hodgo I rarely recall him being able to make something from nothing. He was completely reliant on getting early ball to beat his man whereas Hodgo would just literally bust the game open from a dummy half run. Not to mention Hodgo had terrific ball playing, as evidenced by his stints at fullback where he legit looked liked he could've been one of the greats. Hodgo's defence is often downplayed as well, primarily because he wasn't all that great at tackling, but what he did extremely well was slide and use the touchline as a defender... even though Hodgo didn't look fast there were rarely ever times where his opposite would get around him. It wasn't until very late in his career that opposition centers realised they needed to cut in on his inside shoulder to beat him.

If I had to choose between Hodgo and any NSWRL center at the time I'm taking Hodgo all day every day... from what I can recall there's only one facet of center play where Gasnier beats Hodgo and that's one-on-one situations to score tries or getting outside the opposite and flick passing to the winger. Hodgo wasn't really a try scoring center, at least I can't recall him being one at the peak of his career, but he had a great knack of setting up his winger (never hogged it during an overlap or threw a nothing pass) or creating something from nothing... and I would say that is potentially just as important as scoring your own tries.

I don't recall what Gasnier did that made him loved by NSWRL so much, other than being blonde and probably surfing at Bondi.

Although I think the overarching reason is that NSW fans just absolutely despised Hodgo... not just because he would consistantly get under their players skins in origin, but probably because they realised with GI and Hodgo we had one of, if not the best center pairings to play together of all time.

Quality post. I have never understood the hype around Gasnier. Apart from his "in and away" I can't recall him having too much in his arsenal. It has to be because of his Uncle IMO. The only NSW centre around that time that would get a look in from me is Lyon. I hated the fucker, but he could play and would be at the top of the list for me if I had to choose a NSW centre. Likely forgetting someone though

Active Now

• BooKhaki
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Spoon
  • bert_lifts
  • mystico
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • The Don
  • TwoLeftFeet
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.