Kahu shoots for the top

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2017/03/07/kahu_shoots_for_the_.html

JORDAN Kahu has set himself a goal to be one of the best goal kickers in the NRL.
And after one week he is already showing the benefit of pointing himself at those high standards.
Kahu knocked over five from five last week, including a penalty goal that was the difference in keeping the Broncos in front all night.
He shared the duties with now-retired captain Corey Parker last year, Kahu kicking 41 goals to Parker's 46.
But now the job is all his, and he couldn’t have done better in the 26-18 win over the Sharks.
"I am liking the role at the moment," he said.
"'Cozza' was there last year and I was happy to be number two.
"But I worked a fair bit on it over the pre-season and trained really hard at it.
"I want to be up there with the best goal kickers in the competition."
Kahu played on the wing last night and watched his new captain Darius Boyd take to his new role.
You wouldn't have known anything was different, said Kahu.
"He was just 'Darbs' - he was just himself," he said.
"I don't think I have ever played with him when he has been a different kind of player.
"He is always there, he is always on, and he never has a bad game."

He made a really good start in both the WCS and round 1. if he can keep it up, it will make things easier for the rest of the team.

He made a really good start in both the WCS and round 1. if he can keep it up, it will make things easier for the rest of the team.
Didn't he hit 100% in the WCS as well?
That's a damn good start to the year.

Last edited:
Your point about making things easier for the rest of the team is even understated imo.
If we think about the rd1 game, before the Milford try, if Kahu had missed 2 of his kicks, we would have actually been losing by 2 points. It would have been a completely different ball game, mentally the team would have been down and may not have recovered. If we lost that game like that, we would have started the season on terrible footing, unlike now.

Even if we go to last year, how many games may have been decided with Parker's terrible goal kicking? Just think about those Cowboys games that went to golden point or were decided with a field goal. A few extra points could have completely changed the result. It has had and has a much larger influence over the team's confidence and performance than most people realise in my opinion.

That would be awesome Kahu. Goal kicking has rarely been a Broncos strong point. We need that shit this year.

On a side note, I was stoked that we took the quick tap more in round one. Good signs for this year.

That would be awesome Kahu. Goal kicking has rarely been a Broncos strong point. We need that shit this year.

On a side note, I was stoked that we took the quick tap more in round one. Good signs for this year.

To me the penalty goal is to get it beyond a converted try and it may have been the plan to more often than not go the tap once we've kicked that first penalty... but Parker's goal kicking was so poor and inconsistent the penalty goal was more often than not nullified and we'd have to take another one to get it back to 6 or 8.

I have no answer for going from 8 to 10 outside of having no confidence in parker kicking a conversion or just el capitarn wanting more points haha

I am very happy with his kicking performance so far. I loved Corey but his kicking would often put us in very hard to defend battles. The amount of pressure a missed kick or two adds is huge in the modern game. Such as the Broncos v Roosters game a couple of years ago at home, we had them and they came back in the last few minutes, oh and the GF.... Those missed kicks send chills up my spine.

I'm sure you joke but I honestly believe Kahu could play any position 1-7 and do a serviceable job.

Along with his goal kicking, Kahu's importance to this side cannot be over stated, the ideal back up to Darius, particularly during Origin, and as you say, he can play anywhere in the backline.

I am very happy with his kicking performance so far. I loved Corey but his kicking would often put us in very hard to defend battles. The amount of pressure a missed kick or two adds is huge in the modern game. Such as the Broncos v Roosters game a couple of years ago at home, we had them and they came back in the last few minutes, oh and the GF.... Those missed kicks send chills up my spine.

All kicks were converted in the GF.

Active Now

• IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • Dash
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Justwin
  • Jazza
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • PNG Broncos fan88
  • Brocko
  • Harry Sack
  • Battler
  • Santa
  • Rookie Alan
  • Xzei
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.