NEWS Karmichael Hunt has entered the chat

Karmichael Hunt joined the squad today on a train-and-trial contract, available for selection in a fortnight, potentially against the Roosters in Round 11:

“It’s a massive opportunity. If anyone has followed my career and understands me, I don’t take things up that I don’t want to do or believe I can do."

“For me to accept the opportunity to come back to Red Hill, compete for a position and give my knowledge…I want it just as much as anyone else would want it. I turn up and try to earn my stripes every day. That’s not going to change. I want it just as much as I’ve always wanted it. I always feel like I’ve got stuff to prove and things in my game I need to get better at."

"It’s really no different to if I was at the Waratahs. I go into a season with the mentality to get better. The situation now is that I’m coming back to a game I haven’t played in 12 years at age 34. Externally, people will think of those variables a bit more but for me it’s the same mentality. I’m looking forward to improving, competing and doing my best every week as I normally do.”

Screen17e2ed606b48e9e413dfcb770e67d3fd

One down

“I’ve watched more rugby league since I’ve left than when I was playing. They’ve struggled the last couple of years for different reasons and as an Old Boy it’s been hard to watch. When you’re in these positions, it’s an opportunity to climb out of it. The boys showed some great resilience against the Titans last week and I feel like they’ve got the ability to turn this around quickly. They have the coaching staff to guide them through. As hard as the last couple of years have been for Broncos fans, I feel like there’s a lot of promise moving forward and we can turn that around.”

“I caught up with Kevin Walters a couple of weeks ago before the NRL signed off on the contract and he wanted to get me in for my experience and helping the young group of guys. A big part of it for me is to get in, compete with these young guys and help them out where I can. At the same time, I’m there to compete, too, and play games and give my all every training session."

“Hopefully that gives me an opportunity and my ability and work ethic give me a chance to pull that jersey on. These next few weeks will be about seeing where I’m at. I might need a little bit conditioning-wise, speed-wise and strength-wise. I’m not sure. It’s hard to predict these things when you’ve been out of the game for so long. I feel like I will do a good job to get up to speed.”

McHunt

You have to think KHunt was odds on to have Kelly's spot on the weekend were it not for his sudden injury

Sad news: the Broncos have informed Karmichael he's surplus to requirements next season, and won't be offered a new contract. Whether he will bat on with the Magpies or join the coaching staff is yet to be seen.

Sad news: the Broncos have informed Karmichael he's surplus to requirements next season, and won't be offered a new contract. Whether he will bat on with the Magpies or join the coaching staff is yet to be seen.
The only sad news is that they didn’t tell him this 8 months ago.

I wouldn't mind him being in the coaching staff in some way. Or at least get him working with whoever the fullback will be. KHunt was probably the best fullback when it came to the second man play, he made it work without Slater's speed or superb positioning. Broncos halves are going to need a fullback who can do that next year, and Hunt would hopefully be able to get them to improve.

More than happy to have KHunt around our club. I'm sure he'll pass on some footy smarts to the younger brigade.

The only sad news is that they didn’t tell him this 8 months ago.
He's still available for the rest of the season, pending fitness and the whole bubble thing. He might even get a chance to play in the grand final if another club wants him on loan.

He gave everyone a shot of nostalgia this season when we were down in the dumps. Then we realised how washed he is but thanks for the memories K

Play him fullback for old times sake in the last game.
We did it for Milf last week and Hunt is a premiership winner (the only one if I’m correct?) for the club.

So it’s only fair.

That and he’ll probably contribute more than Milf will anyway.

He's still available for the rest of the season, pending fitness and the whole bubble thing. He might even get a chance to play in the grand final if another club wants him on loan.
Was he signed to a top 30 contract or just available to play through a train and trial??

He didn't really have a contract this year ... we were able to play him due to the round 11 rule that allowed us to play people outside our top 30

Active Now

• Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Wolfie
  • bert_lifts
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • broncotville
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Dash
  • Fatboy
  • HarryAllan7
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.