Kato Ottio - Dead at 23

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
THE rugby league world has reacted with shock to the news young star Kato Ottio has died at the age of 23 after he suffered “a sudden health issue” at training.

The Papua New Guinea international was due to play for the Widnes Vikings in 2018, signing with the English Super League club after representing his country at the World Cup late last year.

His death was confirmed by Widnes.

“We are devastated to learn that Kato Ottio has passed away this afternoon. Kato was an incredibly talented player, with a bright future ahead of him in rugby league,” Vikings chief executive James Rule said.

“This news is all the more tragic, because Kato was due to travel to the UK this week to fulfil his dream of playing first-grade rugby league.

“Having only learned this morning that Kato had developed a sudden health issue whilst training yesterday, we are in absolute shock to now receive this tragic news.”

Ottio never made his first grade NRL debut but was a try-scoring machine for the Canberra Raiders’ feeder team Mounties in the NSW Cup. Former teammates and other rugby league stars in Australia and England took to social media to pass on their condolences.

Canberra star Glen Buttriss wrote on Instagram: “Shattering news to hear this morning that my brother Kato has passed away, rest in peace my man.”

Raiders forward Elliott Whitehead joined those paying tribute to the 23-year-old.

“Such sad news this morning hearing about Kato passing away,” Whitehead posted on Instagram. “One guy who has always had a smile on his face. Loved my time with him at Raiders. RIP mate, gone way to soon.”

Canberra released a statement saying Ottio was “an important part of our club and very close mate to all our boys and staff” and coach Ricky Stuart relayed his sadness.

“Receiving the devastating news this morning knocked me for six. It was hard to believe given the age of Kato and how I remembered him here, I am really lost for words,” Stuart said.

Papua New Guinea Rugby League also expressed its shock while many Super League clubs used their official social media accounts to express their sadness at the heartbreaking news.

Widnes coach Denis Betts said: “To receive this tragic news is heartbreaking. All of us saw at the World Cup the incredible gifts that Kato had, and his potential to forge a great career in rugby league.”

BBC rugby league writer Dave Woods called Ottio’s death a “devastating loss” while colleague Matt Newsum said the “desperately sad shock” was awful for a player who “would be a hit in the northern hemisphere”.

Ottio played six games for PNG and was an ever-present in the World Cup as the Kumuls topped their group before losing to England in the quarter-finals.

He joined the Canberra Raiders in February 2016 but was unable to force his way into their NRL team.

https://broncoshq.com/forums/rugby-league-talk.1996/create-thread

Poor bloke was probably on track to light it up at his new club. RIP.

Damn I actually remember this guy from the World Cup, he was rapid. Rest in Peace young fella.

22 games for the Hunters in the ISC in 2015 with seven tries.

29 Tries for the Mounties in 2016 in a great season.

Kato Ottio’s desire to mentor his young Papua New Guinea teammates may have inadvertently led to the former Canberra Raider’s death today.

The league community is in shock after Ottio collapsed and died only days before being due to fly out and start a new career with English club Widnes.

The 23-year-old Ottio was in his homeland of Papua New Guinea and went on a gruelling eight kilometre run with fellow players from the Hunters Queensland Cup team.

“The run was over and a few of the boys walked back while others got a ride,” Ottio’s manager Steve Deacon told Wide World of Sports.

“But Kato told a few of the players ‘let’s run back’ - he wanted to use the professionalism he gained from his time at Canberra to rub off on his younger countrymen.
“He got slower and eventually collapsed. He was unconscious and in a coma and they were not able to revive him.

“He passed away early this morning - he was a great guy and I’m just devastated.”

Edit: Inappropriate. So sad.

Last edited:

Active Now

• NSW stables
  • Cavalo
  • Lurker
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • Wolfie
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Strop
  • Tim K
  • Xzei
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • Midean
  • Jeza23
  • Skathen
  • barker
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.