Kayo Sports

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Just negotiating with Foxtel at the moment. Using Kayo as a bartering chip. Is it a reasonable way to watch sports? Currently paying $80 for all the foxtel HD channels, but think I could get away with paying $52.00 a month if I cancel it and go with kayo/stan/netflix/prime.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Just negotiating with Foxtel at the moment. Using Kayo as a bartering chip. Is it a reasonable way to watch sports? Currently paying $80 for all the foxtel HD channels, but think I could get away with paying $52.00 a month if I cancel it and go with kayo/stan/netflix/prime.
As long as your internet connection is solid, Kayo is the way to go.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Kayo streams in 1080p 50 fps and you get just about every sport that's televised on earth for only $35 a month if you go for the 3 screens package. 2 screens is $25.

Plus when you do watch a live stream on Kayo, you have the option of going back to watch it from the start. I haven't had Foxtel in years but I don't think they offer that.

I'm also yet to experience any streaming issues. It's worth it. Cancel Foxtel, you don't need it anymore.

The only downside is they don't have a Smart TV app yet. If you have an Android TV, you're all good. But if you don't, you need a device such as Chromecast or Telstra TV box etc to use it on the TV.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Kayo is straight up better than Foxtel and it's easy to cancel during off season.
I also made use of special offers, got 2 months for $5 with Telstra then 3 months for free with betsasy as long as you place a $20 bet I think it was.

Also me and Morkel Morkel are planning to split the sub next year since it's 2 screens at a time so that'll bring it to $12.5 a month.

If you can split the sub with someone it becomes a pretty great deal.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Sweet. I might trial it for 2 weeks and see how it goes.

The Foxtel lady convinced me that Kayo has all sorts of buffering problems, so I shouldn't cancel Foxtel until I've trialled the Kayo. So I am still paying only $82/month for the complete Foxtel package (they reckon it's $140 worth, but I fail to see any idiot paying that). (Their Foxtel IQ4 box is a massive upgrade from their previous models, but i'm not sure the convenience of it is worth an extra $30 a month from streaming services).

SO, I will trial it and if it works fine then Imma ditch Foxtel. I'll have to get an Apple TV box or something though, as my Bravia won't allow me to install apps, POS. I didn't like the Chrome Cast a couple of years ago when I had one, have they improved any? Keeping in mind I have IOS devices and a Windows PC.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I had all sorts of issues with chromecasting the kayo and the stream freezing so I won't recommend it.

I'd go for a cheapy Telstra tv box or Apple TV for sure. Pays for itself in subscription savings.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
Sweet. I might trial it for 2 weeks and see how it goes.

The Foxtel lady convinced me that Kayo has all sorts of buffering problems, so I shouldn't cancel Foxtel until I've trialled the Kayo. So I am still paying only $82/month for the complete Foxtel package (they reckon it's $140 worth, but I fail to see any idiot paying that). (Their Foxtel IQ4 box is a massive upgrade from their previous models, but i'm not sure the convenience of it is worth an extra $30 a month from streaming services).

SO, I will trial it and if it works fine then Imma ditch Foxtel. I'll have to get an Apple TV box or something though, as my Bravia won't allow me to install apps, POS. I didn't like the Chrome Cast a couple of years ago when I had one, have they improved any? Keeping in mind I have IOS devices and a Windows PC.
Apple TV for sure especially if you have iOS devices already. I have both Apple TV and Chromecast on different TV’s and chromecast is a piece of shit.

john1420

NRL Player
I switched to Kayo, and now have that along with Stan, Netflix and Prime
More content, on demand, than I can get through and all for less than Foxtel
I have an android TV box (Vodafone TV) attached to my TV and whilst it is a brilliant box, the apps you can download are limited, and Kayo is not one of them
So I use a chromecast just for Kayo and have zero problems

Culhwch

QCup Player
Yeah, I use an old Chromecast and haven't had any troubles either, just casting Kayo from my phone.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
You calling me a liar??? ME???

Nah honestly I haven't tried it much but to be specific I have a Chromecast Ultra and every 10-15 minutes the Chromecast would freeze totally and I'd have to power cycle it. I don't use Chromecast for anything else and after 2 days of frustration I just went HDMI from my computer to the TV and play it that way. That was back in March/April, never tried again since.

They said they were going to have an Xbox app "Early 2019!" and I've emailed them about 5 times and get a generic response back. Once they make an Xbox app kimlo will be a happy camper.

Last edited:

Jedhead

NRL Player
Kayo has been great this season. Slick marketing ploy to give me a further three months discounted to only $15 a month in the hope I keep it on after the GF was over. I'm happy to run with it until after the Rugby in Japan finishes as Xenophobic Ch 10 will only show Wallaby games. After that I'll can it till next season.

To date, it's the only online package where I feel I have real freedom of choice.

Mister Wright

NRL Player
I’d change, but I love I get all the cricket on 4K, which is so much better. You can get a few NRL matches through the season on 4K too, also all of the 9s WC games are in 4K. While that is still available I’ll be sticking with Foxtel.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
I too would like to endorse Kayo. I'm actually surprised it exists - the NRL is such a drawcard for Foxtel (how many people have it just for the NRL, or sports in general?) that something like Kayo, at a fraction of the price, should really put a massive dent in their Foxtel sales. From what I understand they're owned by the same overall company - why would you sell the same product for a fraction of the price when you have literally no direct competition???

Tom

State of Origin Captain
I too would like to endorse Kayo. I'm actually surprised it exists - the NRL is such a drawcard for Foxtel (how many people have it just for the NRL, or sports in general?) that something like Kayo, at a fraction of the price, should really put a massive dent in their Foxtel sales. From what I understand they're owned by the same overall company - why would you sell the same product for a fraction of the price when you have literally no direct competition???
Up until this year you could buy the games through nrl.com for pretty cheap too but foxtel must have agreed to a similar price so they got rid of it. Must have been an agreement concerning that.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
VPN and watchnrl.com. Plenty of dodgy ways to get it, even dumb companies like Newscorp know this. Give people a legitimate option with genuine flexibility and you get some money instead of no money. Spotify and Netflix figured it out.

Last edited:

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
VPN and watchnrl.com. Plenty of dodgy ways to get it, even dumb companies like Newscorp know this. Give people a legitimate option with genuine flexibility and you get some money instead of no money. Spotify and Netflix figured it out.
I guess, and it did get people like me on board (albeit, I haven't actually spent any money on it yet). But it would seem likely to cannibalise their own customer base. I'd love to know the stats on people who ditched Foxtel and signed up to Kayo.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I guess, and it did get people like me on board (albeit, I haven't actually spent any money on it yet). But it would seem likely to cannibalise their own customer base. I'd love to know the stats on people who ditched Foxtel and signed up to Kayo.
There's also the fact that plenty of younger people flat out don't have a regular old TV setup or wouldn't be willing to sign up to a contract at all. Having a Netflix style no commitment $25 a month thing is just more appealing. I certainly never wanted or liked Foxtel, Kayo is far better.

It'll cannibalise some sales, I'm one of them but I reckon it'll also bring in a bunch of customers that were never going to be there so it might even out.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter