PLAYER Keenan Palasia gets his shot

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
Brisbane Broncos young gun Keenan Palasia
suffers ACL injury

The Courier-Mail
November 28, 2019 10:35am

Rising Brisbane Broncos rookie Keenan Palasia has undergone surgery after suffering an ACL injury at training. Palasia – who played most of his footy at Wynnum Manly this year before securing a Broncos contract – had surgery on Tuesday and will be back on the field late in 2020 at the earliest, according to an nrl.com report.

Keenan Palasia in action for the Wynnum Manly Seagulls. Picture: AAP Image/Richard Walker

Keenan Palasia in action for the Wynnum Manly Seagulls. Picture: AAP Image/Richard Walker

It’s a cruel blow for the 22-year-old, who finally appeared to be past his knee injuries as he tried to secure a spot in the Broncos starting side. The mobile forward began the year on a train-and-trial deal with Brisbane but after 17 weeks of training, no contract materialised and he was let go by the Broncos, forcing him to get a job at a bank.

He continued playing for Wynnum-Manly Seagulls in the Intrust Super Cup where he lifted his form and, as a reward, was handed an NRL lifeline to return back to Red Hill on a full-time contract. He finished the 2019 ISC season with a 107.7 running metre average, 514 tackles and two tries, which earned him two NRL appearances in Broncos colours in 2019.

john1420

NRL Player
I'd figure Morgan was the front runner to replace him. I actually think him and DCE could work quite well together.

Hunt only has a role as a Dummy Half or Utility at this level in my opinion. The ship has sailed on him as a Rep Half.
Hunt only has a role as a Dummy Half or Utility at this level in my opinion. The ship has sailed on him as a Rep Quality NRL Half.

Improved it for you ;)

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
You don't get cap exemption for injuries unless they occur during rep games. He could be replaced in the top 30 but his contract cost would still count in the cap.
That’s a pretty cut and dry rule, which I like. It does seem a bit limiting though to have a player not be eligible to play a single game, but have no bearing on exemption rules.

Last edited:

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
You don't get cap exemption for injuries unless they occur during rep games. He could be replaced in the top 30 but his contract cost would still count in the cap.
although his contract may not have to be included in the cap since the top 30 doesn't need to be finalised until early next year ...

and since he is likely only on base rate, he may be able to be simply not included in the top 30

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter