VOTE Kev’s end of season mark

How do you rate Kev’s 2021 performance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I agree with pretty much everyone, which is, he:

1. took the team to second bottom of the ladder. Hard to enthuse about that.
2. cycled the entire roster to give everyone a chance. Even when it seemed the wrong choice. That's fair.
3. had to sit on his hands until reinforcements arrived. By which time the season was cooked.
4. chucked out some dodgy eggs despite being some of our best players, and it costing the club to get rid of them.
5. blooded a ton of rookies, with decent success.
6. got snookered on Reece Walsh. Maybe it was one he was never going to win.
7. flicked Tom Dearden "the future of the club," which is looking like the right move.
8. by the end of the season, built a team that looks like it wants to play together.
9. might've got to the bottom of the "rotten culture." Which was his remit this season.

Because we're coming 2nd last, it's hard to rate him much above 5. But the last few weeks, this team looks like it wants to compete. It's starting to look cohesive. I'm going to be generous and give him a 7 because I want him to succeed. Next year, although I would expect to be back in the 8, we'll be doing it with a dysfunctional spine and unconvincing backs. Just looking like we belong in the 8 - that would be a massive improvement.

From a 2 to a 5.
trending the right way.

I had hoped for more than 2nd last, the Tigers and Dragons games for me were the killers.
Exactly, both winnable games. To put 24 points on the opposition and get beat is inexcusable. Also being dudded v Roosters and losing by a FG to Cowboys was hard to take. Add 8 points to where we are now and we would be close to the 8.
Anything short of the 8 next season is unacceptable particularly with Reynolds Capewell and a fully fit Staggs.

I love KW as a broncos legend and a genuinely good bloke, but some of you are very very soft markers. How he could get a pass mark for a season where he wins 6 games and runs second last is beyond me.

I could not in good faith give him an extension at this stage. It will be necessary to wait until at least 10-12 rounds next year. If we start the same way we did this year I can't see how he can be extended.

Because context is everything. In a vaccum, I would fire Kevie or any coach for his results this season.

Now let's apply some context to things Kevie had no control over..Bird, Macca contracts to pay out. You've got an injured/suspended star player in Staggs. A million dollar plodder in Milford. A large Lodge contract that no one can understand. Another Thaiday situation in Glenn....then add in that you've inherited a very young team with zero confidence and not playing together. Throw in probably the worst season of officiating against the Broncos in my opinion ever that probably cost us another couple of wins.

I give him the pass mark, because it actually looks like we're playing above our cap value at the moment.

Exactly, both winnable games. To put 24 points on the opposition and get beat is inexcusable. Also being dudded v Roosters and losing by a FG to Cowboys was hard to take. Add 8 points to where we are now and we would be close to the 8.
Anything short of the 8 next season is unacceptable particularly with Reynolds Capewell and a fully fit Staggs.
The team will improve but the reffing won’t

His team selections and constant fucking around with the side contributed largely to us finishing 15th.

We didn’t start improving until Ikin came on board.

His team selections and constant fucking around with the side contributed largely to us finishing 15th.

We didn’t start improving until Ikin came on board.
I also think his selections have been intentional. Every player has had a chance to show why they should or shouldn't be here moving forward.

I think the efforts the team has put in towards the end of the season have showed us where some of the problems were and have since been sent packing.

It's a 5 from me. Can't go any higher after this season. It's the bare minimum he should have got us to after last season.

We are competitive, without polish.

The real test comes after the first 6 rounds next year which will IMO look something like:

Souths (Milford angle)
Cowboys (usual Rd 2 ish fixture)
Storm (just because)
Bulldogs (TPJ angle)
Titans (derby)
Either one of Storm or Souths again

If we are 2 & 4 after that or worse there'll be max pressure on Kev. If we are somehow 3 & 3 or above, it's happy days and I'll start to believe again.

Also, won't it be great to have Flegler available to start the season in round 1 after Bronx management plead their case to have Flegler serve the remaining 3 games of his suspension in the State of Origin series.

Thanks to the Roosters for setting precedent with Radley.

/S

I voted a 4. It's probably not really a pass mark at this stage. I know he came from a hugely low base but I do think we should have managed a little better than 15th and in a lot of areas we've still barely improved at all. In particular the chopping and changing in our Halves was not something I expected from him and considering many of those were not forced changes it was in many ways harder to accept than when Seibold did it.

If a lot of our problems this year couldn't be also shared in responsibility with the previous Coach and Management's incompetence too, then I think he'd be in real danger.

He's got much better cattle in key areas next year and assuming we get a reasonable amount of luck with injuries he really should be pushing for a Top 8 berth. Anything less than that without a good reason why and I think his days would be numbered.

I gave Kev a low mark. The simple facts are we came second last and for most of the year played like that is our rightful spot. And for the reasons I outline below, I am fearful 2022 could get worse.
The question for next year is this: if Kev wasn't resigned by BB, would he get another job as an NRL coach ? Of course he wants an extension.
He joined saying "We don't do turnarounds at the Broncos", and ever since all we've heard is "But we are better than last year". Be very careful here, the Haas situation highlights no one is taking unders to play for Kev. He has no right to an extension until performance improves markedly. Saying "But I'm better than the last guy" isn't the test. In six months, when Wayne is set up down the road signing players at unders because they want to play for him, the heat will be on Kev more than ever.
A bad start to 2022 (just like this year, by the way) with Wayne signing players from us ... I can see why Kev wants an extension now. Wayne will get into the players heads they need to know who the coach is if Kev isn't signed. If Kev is signed, he will say your choice ... Come with me, I've won multiple premierships and we'll do it again, or stay with the joker rookie who can't get a gig elsewhere. Your choice.
A bad start to 2022, and this is going to get messy.

I was a little worried half way through the year, especially with an ordinary squad, but at least he's got them playing with a bit of heart and competitive for most part, which is a massive improvement over last year. Looks promising next year with a few of the signings that have been made but I agree with others, you wouldn't want to be 2 and 5 after the first 7 rounds or the pressure will mount.

I think there will be more movement in the off season and it wouldn't surprise me if we jag another decent player. A 1 or a 9 would be nice

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Hoof Hearted
  • marw
  • Galah
  • Kev_Guz
  • Robboi_321
  • TimWhatley
  • Fitzy
  • Aldo
  • Financeguy
  • Splinter
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • lynx000
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Manofoneway
  • Porthoz
  • Big Del
  • Nerd
  • Fozz
... and 48 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.