THE COACH Kevin Walters

Defence has been the most impressive improvement for me.

It has come leaps and bounds the last 5 games. The way we are defending now compared to the trials and the first 4 games its like a complete different team.

The good teams know defence has to come first before attack and if you dont enjoy defending then you will not go far. Finally for the first time in a few years the boys look like that actually enjoy defence and the heads are not dropping when mistakes are happening.

I'm still unsure whether we are a realistic contender this year, storm and panthers still feel like another level and the panthers did put a score on us a few weeks ago. But no longer do i feel like we will battle for the spoon. if we can keep this up we deserve to be around 6-4 by the end of season.

And kevie absolutely deserves credit for that. lets hope he keeps improving because if he ever manages to make it to the big one with us it would be a massive story that not even the nswrl can downplay. And we all know the NRL like to favour the feel good stories on grand final day

This team is a LOT better than the one that lost to the Panthers, and we pushed them the entire first half. I look forward to playing the Panthers and Eels again...we have some square ups to take care of.

Storm, I'm still not confident. We have been their bunnies for 15 years apart from the odd win, though they are certainly looking more beatable than most years.

This team is a LOT better than the one that lost to the Panthers, and we pushed them the entire first half. I look forward to playing the Panthers and Eels again...we have some square ups to take care of.

Storm, I'm still not confident. We have been their bunnies for 15 years apart from the odd win, though they are certainly looking more beatable than most years.

Melbournes time is coming to an end.

Melbournes time is coming to an end.

I feel like we've all been saying this for a long time. They still have three absolute guns in their spine even if Munster leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if they start targetting some of our gun kid forwards and pretty solid journeyman forwards.

I feel like we've all been saying this for a long time. They still have three absolute guns in their spine even if Munster leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if they start targetting some of our gun kid forwards and pretty solid journeyman forwards.
the similarities they have to the broncos of old are uncanny.

Think they will only see a noticeable difference once bellamy retires. even then it will take a few years for them to really decline. much like when bennett left us.

It was a slow decline till we hit rock bottom.

But maybe the storm can manage it better then broncs.

No they are not becoming more beatable. They were missing 2 of the best spine players in the comp as well as in my opinion there best middle forward and an outside back. Which is why they were getting toweled up in the second half they had Trent Loeiro, Tyran Wishart, Alec McDonald, Dean Ieremia, Marion Seve, Tui Kamikamica, Chris Lewis And then Harry Grant at 7 and Nick Meaney at 1. That side would have been wiped with by the Bulldogs. Yes obviously it is a tactic to have 0 depth to afford more star players but don’t give me this shit that they are more beatable cause the looney tunes I just named got beat by the team sitting in 3rd who have lost 3 games this year. The Storm still would absolutely wipe the floor against any team with a full side in their form up until unfortunate injuries. You lot would blame every loss on injuries even if it was bloody Jordan Riki or something. Don’t use a bunch of cup players to get a gauge of where their team is at when they are missing Papenhuyzen (most in form player in the comp till his injury), Hughes (one of the top halfbacks), Welch, NAS and Reimis (cause major backline shuffle alongside Papi).

No they are not becoming more beatable. They were missing 2 of the best spine players in the comp as well as in my opinion there best middle forward and an outside back. Which is why they were getting toweled up in the second half they had Trent Loeiro, Tyran Wishart, Alec McDonald, Dean Ieremia, Marion Seve, Tui Kamikamica, Chris Lewis And then Harry Grant at 7 and Nick Meaney at 1. That side would have been wiped with by the Bulldogs. Yes obviously it is a tactic to have 0 depth to afford more star players but don’t give me this shit that they are more beatable cause the looney tunes I just named got beat by the team sitting in 3rd who have lost 3 games this year. The Storm still would absolutely wipe the floor against any team with a full side in their form up until unfortunate injuries. You lot would blame every loss on injuries even if it was bloody Jordan Riki or something. Don’t use a bunch of cup players to get a gauge of where their team is at when they are missing Papenhuyzen (most in form player in the comp till his injury), Hughes (one of the top halfbacks), Welch, NAS and Reimis (cause major backline shuffle alongside Papi).
I wasn't referring to lastnight's result. They have zero depth. They are more beatable this year than most based on that.

I wasn't referring to lastnight's result. They have zero depth. They are more beatable this year than most based on that.
Depth isn’t a point at all. If you are relying on breaking into their depth to win then how are they anymore beatable than previous years when they still had 0 depth. Just cause Nicho Hynes was on the bench last year doesn’t mean they had good depth. Not at all. For years now they have had Kamikamica, Lewis, Seve, Ieremia, Eisenhuth, Jennings and Cooper Johns as depth even someone like Loeiro I believe is in their 3rd season there. Even blokes like Howarth, Garlick, Pezet, Wishart, Moeroa and Grant (Jordan) are in there second season and we’re viewed as a legitimate force last year. So please explain to me how Nikorima, Faalogo and Warbrick coming in makes their depth any significantly worse as a result of the absence of Lumelume, Atkinson and Hynes leaving. They have been competing all this time with shocking depth and you see 2 weeks in a row against top teams where they have to scour to the dregs of the squad just to form a team and you decide that they are more beatable as a result of a handful of depth players moving for relatively like for like skilled replacements (barring Hynes). Yeah fucken oath if they send out that side it’s beatable but it has been no different for years as to their depth ability. Might make the odd case for nrl experience but really regardless of whether you played a handful of games or not if you have to send out about 10 depth players and play your best players out of position more often than not you will get toweled up. I guarantee you that if they had their best team last night I reckon the score lines would have been reversed.

Depth isn’t a point at all. If you are relying on breaking into their depth to win then how are they anymore beatable than previous years when they still had 0 depth. Just cause Nicho Hynes was on the bench last year doesn’t mean they had good depth. Not at all. For years now they have had Kamikamica, Lewis, Seve, Ieremia, Eisenhuth, Jennings and Cooper Johns as depth even someone like Loeiro I believe is in their 3rd season there. Even blokes like Howarth, Garlick, Pezet, Wishart, Moeroa and Grant (Jordan) are in there second season and we’re viewed as a legitimate force last year. So please explain to me how Nikorima, Faalogo and Warbrick coming in makes their depth any significantly worse as a result of the absence of Lumelume, Atkinson and Hynes leaving. They have been competing all this time with shocking depth and you see 2 weeks in a row against top teams where they have to scour to the dregs of the squad just to form a team and you decide that they are more beatable as a result of a handful of depth players moving for relatively like for like skilled replacements (barring Hynes). Yeah fucken oath if they send out that side it’s beatable but it has been no different for years as to their depth ability. Might make the odd case for nrl experience but really regardless of whether you played a handful of games or not if you have to send out about 10 depth players and play your best players out of position more often than not you will get toweled up. I guarantee you that if they had their best team last night I reckon the score lines would have been reversed.
Of course it would, that's not my argument. I said I think they look more beatable this year than they have in previous years, based largely on their lack of quality depth. You can have a different opinion, that's fine.

anyone know the jist of the kevolution artical on the courier mail?

anyone know the jist of the kevolution artical on the courier mail?

Kevvie never lost faith in his coaching ability with his mission to transform us from a basket case into a premiership contender. after 5 straight wins the Kev-olution is in full swing

Kevvie Says

“I’ve always believed in myself, that’s one thing I’ve always had,” Walters told News Corp. “I wouldn’t have taken the job on if I didn’t feel that I was ready for it.

“It is a big job and I feel like we are getting things in place. We’ve got the right people in the building now to improve things and make it better.

“It’s moving along nicely at the moment but rugby league never sleeps and we don’t know what’s around the corner.”

The Rise of Kevvie
  • we were rock bottom when Seibold was sacked
  • it's been far from smooth sailing for Kevvie
  • showed little improvement in the early days under Kevvie
  • then New CEO DD, who only started in May, made one of his key appointments in Ikin
  • now the building blocks were in place and the Big Three (Kev, DD, Ikin) just needed time to put their plan into action
Ben Ikin Says:

“When I got here last year, Kevvie was only six months into his first-ever coaching gig in the NRL and he’d inherited a basket case,” Ikin said.

“The goal for everybody was to get better together. To understand this rebuild wasn’t going to be easy and it was going to take some time.

“Once the footy program started to improve and we learnt how to work with each other and get clear on where we wanted to be and how we were going to get there, that was ultimately going to find its way to the playing group, which is what we are starting to see.

“Because the Broncos are such a high-profile club that has such high expectations, both internally and externally, it’s hard to hold your nerve when the noise is getting really loud.

“But to everyone’s credit from the board through to Dave, and especially Kevvie, we are seeing some results.

“Kevvie is in the toughest job in the club. To hold his nerve and believe in what he wanted to do and everyone support that is a credit to him and a credit to everyone.”

Silencing the critics
  • had a challenging tenure at Catalans
  • was 3rd choice for the Maroons in 2019
  • lost out to Seibold in a Shambolic recruitment process in 2018
  • His critics haven’t needed much ammunition to fire and the blowtorch was on Walters last year, and then again this season as the Broncos slumped to four straight losses.

Billy Walters says:

“I cop heat every now and then but nowhere near what he’s copped. Last year was hard to see,” said Walters’ son Billy, the Broncos’ current No.9.

“Even when he was Origin coach, you’d see people spraying him and getting into him. They seem to forget he won six comps and played nearly 300 games. He knows what he’s doing.

“You have to ignore the comments. He’s doing his best and knows what he’s doing and it’s starting to show now.

“He always knew it wouldn’t be ‘get to the Broncos and win the comp first year’. A lot needed to change. People moved on. He knew it’d be a big job to turn the Broncos around.

“You can see the culture’s changed and we’re heading in the right direction.”

Ben Ikin says:

“Kevvie has proven in his career that he is a winner,” Ikin said.

“As a player he had a competitiveness, drive and underpinning that was his passion for the Broncos. As a coach, that’s infectious.

“I’ve spoken to many sacked head coaches and successful ones and they are amazed at how much better they are in year five or year 10 than they were in year one and two.

“You come into the job thinking you know it all and at some level you have to believe that, otherwise others won’t buy in, but the one thing about Kevvie that will not change and is so intrinsic to him is his competitive nature.

“He wants to get the Broncos back to the top and I have no doubt he will get better with every year he stays in the role. To see Kevvie come through a tough first year and grow the team the way he has this year, I’m so happy for him.

“He had a very clear idea on how he wanted his team to play. He had to get clear on that and that’s not just educating players, it’s also about him growing into the role and getting better at communicating that to everyone.”

Riding to the Finals
  • Last finals apperance was a club record defeat in 2019 (losing to Parramatta 58-0)
  • that was eclipsed by the Roosters in 2020 losing 59-0
  • Walters realised he needed new cattle to take the Broncos back to where they belong and he made it happen with the support of Donaghy, Ikin and Brisbane’s board.
  • Capewell and Reynolds have played a huge role in our revival

Kevvie Says

“I love coming into work,” Walters said.

“It’s not that I didn’t love it last year, but it was a lot tougher. I feel like all the coaches are more settled and we’re starting to get our feet well and truly under the desk.

“The players are responding with good attitudes and performances. It’s a very enjoyable place to be around at the moment.

“We’ve had our tough moments this year like losing four games in a row which isn’t great and a week is a long time in football.

“We are all working hard, the players in particular, and we’ve got to maintain those standards because that is the level we can play.

“We have to be consistent and we’ve got that about us now. We’ve got to keep going with it.”

• The Finals haven't been spoken about at Red Hill because for the Broncos it is an expectation not a goal

Ben Ikin Says

“This is not tiddlywinks. This is professional elite rugby league,” Ikin said.

“Not one person here has openly spoken about playing finals. We never sat in a room and said ‘we have to make the top eight’, but we all knew it was the unspoken expectation.

“We have the people, the talent, the resources, the facility and all the tools we need to be a great club. It’s now incumbent upon everyone who works at the Broncos to make that happen.

“We are not the finished product. We are better than what we were, but we are still a way off where we want to be.

“The goal for every club every year is to be the best you can possibly be.”

• And for Walters, that means winning premierships. Always has, always will.

Kevvie never lost faith in his coaching ability with his mission to transform us from a basket case into a premiership contender. after 5 straight wins the Kev-olution is in full swing

Kevvie Says

“I’ve always believed in myself, that’s one thing I’ve always had,” Walters told News Corp. “I wouldn’t have taken the job on if I didn’t feel that I was ready for it.

“It is a big job and I feel like we are getting things in place. We’ve got the right people in the building now to improve things and make it better.

“It’s moving along nicely at the moment but rugby league never sleeps and we don’t know what’s around the corner.”

The Rise of Kevvie
  • then New CEO DD, who only started in May, made one of his key appointments in Ikin
  • now the building blocks were in place and the Big Three (Kev, DD, Ikin) just needed time to put their plan into action
Ben Ikin Says:

“When I got here last year, Kevvie was only six months into his first-ever coaching gig in the NRL and he’d inherited a basket case,” Ikin said.

“The goal for everybody was to get better together. To understand this rebuild wasn’t going to be easy and it was going to take some time.

“Once the footy program started to improve and we learnt how to work with each other and get clear on where we wanted to be and how we were going to get there, that was ultimately going to find its way to the playing group, which is what we are starting to see.

“Because the Broncos are such a high-profile club that has such high expectations, both internally and externally, it’s hard to hold your nerve when the noise is getting really loud.

“But to everyone’s credit from the board through to Dave, and especially Kevvie, we are seeing some results.

“Kevvie is in the toughest job in the club. To hold his nerve and believe in what he wanted to do and everyone support that is a credit to him and a credit to everyone.”

Silencing the critics
  • His critics haven’t needed much ammunition to fire and the blowtorch was on Walters last year, and then again this season as the Broncos slumped to four straight losses.

Billy Walters says:

“I cop heat every now and then but nowhere near what he’s copped. Last year was hard to see,” said Walters’ son Billy, the Broncos’ current No.9.

“Even when he was Origin coach, you’d see people spraying him and getting into him. They seem to forget he won six comps and played nearly 300 games. He knows what he’s doing.

“You have to ignore the comments. He’s doing his best and knows what he’s doing and it’s starting to show now.

“He always knew it wouldn’t be ‘get to the Broncos and win the comp first year’. A lot needed to change. People moved on. He knew it’d be a big job to turn the Broncos around.

Ben Ikin says:

“As a player he had a competitiveness, drive and underpinning that was his passion for the Broncos. As a coach, that’s infectious.

“I’ve spoken to many sacked head coaches and successful ones and they are amazed at how much better they are in year five or year 10 than they were in year one and two.

“You come into the job thinking you know it all and at some level you have to believe that, otherwise others won’t buy in, but the one thing about Kevvie that will not change and is so intrinsic to him is his competitive nature.

“He wants to get the Broncos back to the top and I have no doubt he will get better with every year he stays in the role. To see Kevvie come through a tough first year and grow the team the way he has this year, I’m so happy for him.

“He had a very clear idea on how he wanted his team to play. He had to get clear on that and that’s not just educating players, it’s also about him growing into the role and getting better at communicating that to everyone.”

Riding to the Finals
  • Last finals apperance was a club record defeat in 2019 (losing to Parramatta 58-0)
  • Walters realised he needed new cattle to take the Broncos back to where they belong and he made it happen with the support of Donaghy, Ikin and Brisbane’s board.

Kevvie Says

“It’s not that I didn’t love it last year, but it was a lot tougher. I feel like all the coaches are more settled and we’re starting to get our feet well and truly under the desk.

“The players are responding with good attitudes and performances. It’s a very enjoyable place to be around at the moment.

“We’ve had our tough moments this year like losing four games in a row which isn’t great and a week is a long time in football.

“We are all working hard, the players in particular, and we’ve got to maintain those standards because that is the level we can play.

“We have to be consistent and we’ve got that about us now. We’ve got to keep going with it.”

• The Finals haven't been spoken about at Red Hill because for the Broncos it is an expectation not a goal

Ben Ikin Says

“Not one person here has openly spoken about playing finals. We never sat in a room and said ‘we have to make the top eight’, but we all knew it was the unspoken expectation.

“We have the people, the talent, the resources, the facility and all the tools we need to be a great club. It’s now incumbent upon everyone who works at the Broncos to make that happen.

“We are not the finished product. We are better than what we were, but we are still a way off where we want to be.

cheers

Kevvie Says

The Rise of Kevvie
Ben Ikin Says:

Silencing the critics

Billy Walters says:

Ben Ikin says:

Riding to the Finals

Kevvie Says

Ben Ikin Says

Arousing read.

That's good shit.

Note that Ikin now seems to be using 'Kevvie' a lot more than 'Kevin'.

Probably nothing, but interesting I think.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • BooKhaki
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • Old Mate
  • Brocko
  • lynx000
  • Fitzy
  • Alec
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • LittleDavey
  • bb_gun
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.