THE COACH Kevin Walters

Kevvie never lost faith in his coaching ability with his mission to transform us from a basket case into a premiership contender. after 5 straight wins the Kev-olution is in full swing

Kevvie Says

“I’ve always believed in myself, that’s one thing I’ve always had,” Walters told News Corp. “I wouldn’t have taken the job on if I didn’t feel that I was ready for it.

“It is a big job and I feel like we are getting things in place. We’ve got the right people in the building now to improve things and make it better.

“It’s moving along nicely at the moment but rugby league never sleeps and we don’t know what’s around the corner.”

The Rise of Kevvie
  • we were rock bottom when Seibold was sacked
  • it's been far from smooth sailing for Kevvie
  • showed little improvement in the early days under Kevvie
  • then New CEO DD, who only started in May, made one of his key appointments in Ikin
  • now the building blocks were in place and the Big Three (Kev, DD, Ikin) just needed time to put their plan into action
Ben Ikin Says:

“When I got here last year, Kevvie was only six months into his first-ever coaching gig in the NRL and he’d inherited a basket case,” Ikin said.

“The goal for everybody was to get better together. To understand this rebuild wasn’t going to be easy and it was going to take some time.

“Once the footy program started to improve and we learnt how to work with each other and get clear on where we wanted to be and how we were going to get there, that was ultimately going to find its way to the playing group, which is what we are starting to see.

“Because the Broncos are such a high-profile club that has such high expectations, both internally and externally, it’s hard to hold your nerve when the noise is getting really loud.

“But to everyone’s credit from the board through to Dave, and especially Kevvie, we are seeing some results.

“Kevvie is in the toughest job in the club. To hold his nerve and believe in what he wanted to do and everyone support that is a credit to him and a credit to everyone.”

Silencing the critics
  • had a challenging tenure at Catalans
  • was 3rd choice for the Maroons in 2019
  • lost out to Seibold in a Shambolic recruitment process in 2018
  • His critics haven’t needed much ammunition to fire and the blowtorch was on Walters last year, and then again this season as the Broncos slumped to four straight losses.

Billy Walters says:

“I cop heat every now and then but nowhere near what he’s copped. Last year was hard to see,” said Walters’ son Billy, the Broncos’ current No.9.

“Even when he was Origin coach, you’d see people spraying him and getting into him. They seem to forget he won six comps and played nearly 300 games. He knows what he’s doing.

“You have to ignore the comments. He’s doing his best and knows what he’s doing and it’s starting to show now.

“He always knew it wouldn’t be ‘get to the Broncos and win the comp first year’. A lot needed to change. People moved on. He knew it’d be a big job to turn the Broncos around.

“You can see the culture’s changed and we’re heading in the right direction.”

Ben Ikin says:

“Kevvie has proven in his career that he is a winner,” Ikin said.

“As a player he had a competitiveness, drive and underpinning that was his passion for the Broncos. As a coach, that’s infectious.

“I’ve spoken to many sacked head coaches and successful ones and they are amazed at how much better they are in year five or year 10 than they were in year one and two.

“You come into the job thinking you know it all and at some level you have to believe that, otherwise others won’t buy in, but the one thing about Kevvie that will not change and is so intrinsic to him is his competitive nature.

“He wants to get the Broncos back to the top and I have no doubt he will get better with every year he stays in the role. To see Kevvie come through a tough first year and grow the team the way he has this year, I’m so happy for him.

“He had a very clear idea on how he wanted his team to play. He had to get clear on that and that’s not just educating players, it’s also about him growing into the role and getting better at communicating that to everyone.”

Riding to the Finals
  • Last finals apperance was a club record defeat in 2019 (losing to Parramatta 58-0)
  • that was eclipsed by the Roosters in 2020 losing 59-0
  • Walters realised he needed new cattle to take the Broncos back to where they belong and he made it happen with the support of Donaghy, Ikin and Brisbane’s board.
  • Capewell and Reynolds have played a huge role in our revival

Kevvie Says

“I love coming into work,” Walters said.

“It’s not that I didn’t love it last year, but it was a lot tougher. I feel like all the coaches are more settled and we’re starting to get our feet well and truly under the desk.

“The players are responding with good attitudes and performances. It’s a very enjoyable place to be around at the moment.

“We’ve had our tough moments this year like losing four games in a row which isn’t great and a week is a long time in football.

“We are all working hard, the players in particular, and we’ve got to maintain those standards because that is the level we can play.

“We have to be consistent and we’ve got that about us now. We’ve got to keep going with it.”

• The Finals haven't been spoken about at Red Hill because for the Broncos it is an expectation not a goal

Ben Ikin Says

“This is not tiddlywinks. This is professional elite rugby league,” Ikin said.

“Not one person here has openly spoken about playing finals. We never sat in a room and said ‘we have to make the top eight’, but we all knew it was the unspoken expectation.

“We have the people, the talent, the resources, the facility and all the tools we need to be a great club. It’s now incumbent upon everyone who works at the Broncos to make that happen.

“We are not the finished product. We are better than what we were, but we are still a way off where we want to be.

“The goal for every club every year is to be the best you can possibly be.”

• And for Walters, that means winning premierships. Always has, always will.
Seibold just read that Ikin quote and jotted in his note book “not tiddlywinks”

Maybe @Sproj can share a Y version of our top 17 for old time's sake.

Yeah 'Milly' made me want to throw something too.

So we had:

1. Boydy
2. Saaki
3. Toeni
4. Herbie
5. Coatesy
6. Milly (my goodness)
7. Crofty
8. Haasy
9. Jakey
10. Lodgey
11. Fifi
12. Lexy
13. Patty

14. Paix-Pay
15. Huge4Rhysy4eva-y
16. Flegy
17. Pangey

Yeah 'Milly' made me want to throw something too.

So we had:

1. Boydy
2. Saaki
3. Toeni
4. Herbie
5. Coatesy
6. Milly (my goodness)
7. Crofty
8. Haasy
9. Jakey
10. Lodgey
11. Fifi
12. Lexy
13. Patty

14. Paix-Pay
15. Huge4Rhysy4eva-y
16. Flegy
17. Pangey

Since when is an I a Y??

Every week I see of Kevie in the coaches box the happier I get. Kevie, Ikin, DD and Reynolds are greatest thing to ever happen to this club. The trajectory keeps the way it is premiership are just around the corner, they have all worked hard and well together to turn this team around.

I marked Kevvie pretty harshly earlier in the year. I gave him a 4 and I think it was fair to do so. We were looking full trash in a few of our losses, and it was quite fortuitous that TMM fell into the fullback role. But, it’s really good to see that Kev now seems to have a plan and is willing to stick by it and not be reactive.

With Reynolds being ruled at late, and Mam requiring a fitness test for a cork just before game day. I would have put money on Kev to do something like - Walters to 6.. Hetherington to play the first 20mins at 9.. Paix to play out the rest of the game at 9.. With Hetherington moving back into the forward rotation. But Kevvie trusted what he was working towards and made the least amount of changes possible.

Then, after Mams sketchy start to the game and with the knights right in it at the half time break. I was quite expecting to see Kev shift Walters to 6 and have Paixe play out the rest of the game at 9. Instead of Walters just doing the usual last 5-10 mins at hooker. But Kev stayed the course and it all worked out.

Full credit to Kevvie for not being reactive and sticking to what the team is working towards. This would not have happened last year, or even at the start of this year. We’re on!

Definitely the right move was made not to sack him (not that it was ever being discussed, only by the unbalanced folk on BHQ who couldn't handle a loss).

Had we sacked him, we'd be one of potentially 4 clubs looking for a new coach. There are about 2 good coaches on the market and I don't think either of them are keen to take on the role of rebuilding a club.

This thread is a quality re-read
I’m sure I have some stinkers in here but i just re-read the original post of mine for the first time since poring and I think it’s pretty balanced considering what was occurring

I’m sure I have some stinkers in here but i just re-read the original post of mine for the first time since poring and I think it’s pretty balanced considering what was occurring
only thing that made me think of this thread was last nights post match press conference he mentioned its not about winning it all this year but where we are heading in the next 3-5 years and into the future or something to that effect

*shudders* Croft.
Now there’s a name I’d put out of my memory banks.

Awkward Lucille Ball GIF

Thing is though, you can only comment on what you are seeing at the time. Take the Warriors game for example, we looked a pathetic football side and the criticism was just as warranted as the praise is now. I know i'll cop shit for it, but i'm still not 100% convinced but i'm hoping i'm wrong because like everyone else, i love Kevvie and want him to do well.

Thing is though, you can only comment on what you are seeing at the time. Take the Warriors game for example, we looked a pathetic football side and the criticism was just as warranted as the praise is now. I know i'll cop shit for it, but i'm still not 100% convinced but i'm hoping i'm wrong because like everyone else, i love Kevvie and want him to do well.
He has brought the Bronco DNA back into the club. It went missing when club mgmt and 90% of BHQ thought it would be a good idea to sack a legend and replace him with Seibold and his idiot entourage.

Every club consists of the same traits. Working class boys most of whom are lowly educated but have the gift of the type of toughness needed to play this sort of sport. The rest is up to the coaching staff to instill that belief and confidence to succeed. A good coach can extract the very best of any player despite their obvious deficiencies. eg. WB, Bellamy, Robinson.

Take out the DNA and you have a coach who talks about changing the whole culture of the club with his hip hop training sessions and lame brained press conferences. The veterans didn't buy it and the rookies wanted nothing to do with it.

Enter Kevvie who has inspired a roster that is really quite ordinary and the Bronco DNA was on full display last night. The type of victory that used to be commonplace amongst this great club.

Kevvie may not be a master technician and might be a little old fashioned in his ways but one cannot deny the significance of what has occurred this season. Going into Rd 7, we were not sure if the Broncos were capable of escaping the bottom 4 this year. Seven weeks later and we now have some Bronco fans secretly dreaming of a title this year. Whatever happens for the rest of the year is unknown at this time but a playoff spot is looming and the Broncos have got their mojo back. This season will be a success for me regardless of what transpires in the next 12 weeks.

He has brought the Bronco DNA back into the club. It went missing when club mgmt and 90% of BHQ thought it would be a good idea to sack a legend and replace him with Seibold and his idiot entourage.

Every club consists of the same traits. Working class boys most of whom are lowly educated but have the gift of the type of toughness needed to play this sort of sport. The rest is up to the coaching staff to instill that belief and confidence to succeed. A good coach can extract the very best of any player despite their obvious deficiencies. eg. WB, Bellamy, Robinson.

Take out the DNA and you have a coach who talks about changing the whole culture of the club with his hip hop training sessions and lame brained press conferences. The veterans didn't buy it and the rookies wanted nothing to do with it.

Enter Kevvie who has inspired a roster that is really quite ordinary and the Bronco DNA was on full display last night. The type of victory that used to be commonplace amongst this great club.

Kevvie may not be a master technician and might be a little old fashioned in his ways but one cannot deny the significance of what has occurred this season. Going into Rd 7, we were not sure if the Broncos were capable of escaping the bottom 4 this year. Seven weeks later and we now have some Bronco fans secretly dreaming of a title this year. Whatever happens for the rest of the year is unknown at this time but a playoff spot is looming and the Broncos have got their mojo back. This season will be a success for me regardless of what transpires in the next 12 weeks.

From my perspective i always said this side, even last year, were capable of making the 8 if not higher. This year i expected top 6 with a fit Arey.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Manofoneway
  • Socnorb
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Bongo
  • pennywisealfie
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.