THE COACH Kevin Walters

Now that uncomfortable intermission is over.. let's resume talk about our Lord and Savior - Sir Kevin Walters.

Even against one sided reffeing and missing star players, we were able to take blood from Melbourne. There is no doubt in my mind we'll be regulars in late finals footy for the next decade with a couple of cheeky premierships. On top of just being an all around awesome and whole bloke.

Now that uncomfortable intermission is over.. let's resume talk about our Lord and Savior - Sir Kevin Walters.

Even against one sided reffeing and missing star players, we were able to take blood from Melbourne. There is no doubt in my mind we'll be regulars in late finals footy for the next decade with a couple of cheeky premierships. On top of just being an all around awesome and whole bloke.
Yep. Loved what he said in the presser when the journo tried to bait him into commenting on the forward pass. He's a winner and his career was built on making his own luck. He never blames the officials and never takes any of the credit, gives it to the senior players. What a deadset champion

Thought I'd just throw out the question here. At what point should we consider extending Kevvie beyond '23? Even if just another year?

I mean, obviously we don't want to do a GC with Holbrook and jump on the bandwagon too early but what Kevvie has done with not just the team but the squad is nothing short of remarkable and he deserves all the credit he is getting and so much more.

I mean let's look at the facts here:
- He is being wonderfully supported from the front office and that is obviously having a huge influence
- He has become a lot better at his press conferences
- He has every single player in the squad, even the bloke who doesn't want to be there, buying in
- He has managed to attract back one of our lost talents for '23 (I am not saying this is all his doing as it obviously isn't but the way he handled Walsh's exit must have been decent given Reece has willingly come back when he could have gone to Redcliffe)
- He has managed to retain one of our brightest stars in Herbie despite massive interest from the Dolphins and again see above for more info there
- Despite having 10 players out yesterday, got his team up to beat a team that was in form and flying
- Has us sitting in fifth and until the origin period, was comfortably in the top four
- Pushed Melbourne and North Queensland despite being depleted and carrying a Turpin brand handbrake
- Has his son playing like a seasoned vet at 9 despite limited experience there previously
- Has instilled a fantastic defensive resilience that had not been there for years
- Every single player in the squad has progressed, in total contrast to the idiot who came before
- Is pumping out star kids left, right and centre
- Has timed the debuts and pathways of the likes of Cobbo, Paix, Mam, etc extremely well
- Has massively improved with his bench use
- Has recruited three master strokes in Reynolds, Jensen and Capewell and albeit to a lesser extent, made extremely astute squad signings in James, Pereira and Lee who have been in systems for years and are consummate professionals
- Has figured out how to turn Kennedy into a weapon
- Supports his players and never offers excuses or whinges even when at times it might well be warranted

He knows what he is doing and it might be worthwhile starting to think more long term with him. I am sure there is not one person in all of Brisbane who would be unhappy at how well he is doing and potentially rewarding what amazing work he has done unless the former coach and/or CEO still live in Brissy. Just throwing it out there anyway.

Thought I'd just throw out the question here. At what point should we consider extending Kevvie beyond '23? Even if just another year?

I mean, obviously we don't want to do a GC with Holbrook and jump on the bandwagon too early but what Kevvie has done with not just the team but the squad is nothing short of remarkable and he deserves all the credit he is getting and so much more.

- He is being wonderfully supported from the front office and that is obviously having a huge influence
- He has every single player in the squad, even the bloke who doesn't want to be there, buying in
- He has managed to attract back one of our lost talents for '23 (I am not saying this is all his doing as it obviously isn't but the way he handled Walsh's exit must have been decent given Reece has willingly come back when he could have gone to Redcliffe)
- He has managed to retain one of our brightest stars in Herbie despite massive interest from the Dolphins and again see above for more info there
- Despite having 10 players out yesterday, got his team up to beat a team that was in form and flying
- Has us sitting in fifth and until the origin period, was comfortably in the top four
- Pushed Melbourne and North Queensland despite being depleted and carrying a Turpin brand handbrake
- Has his son playing like a seasoned vet at 9 despite limited experience there previously
- Has instilled a fantastic defensive resilience that had not been there for years
- Every single player in the squad has progressed, in total contrast to the idiot who came before
- Has timed the debuts and pathways of the likes of Cobbo, Paix, Mam, etc extremely well
- Has recruited three master strokes in Reynolds, Jensen and Capewell and albeit to a lesser extent, made extremely astute squad signings in James, Pereira and Lee who have been in systems for years and are consummate professionals
- Supports his players and never offers excuses or whinges even when at times it might well be warranted

He knows what he is doing and it might be worthwhile starting to think more long term with him. I am sure there is not one person in all of Brisbane who would be unhappy at how well he is doing and potentially rewarding what amazing work he has done unless the former coach and/or CEO still live in Brissy. Just throwing it out there anyway.
I thought Kevvie was on an open contract which means it just rolls on from year to year. There is no need for extensions as either can pull the pin if and when they decide to. That at least was my understanding of why he ditched the standard fixed term contract.

I thought Kevvie was on an open contract which means it just rolls on from year to year. There is no need for extensions as either can pull the pin if and when they decide to. That at least was my understanding of why he ditched the standard fixed term contract.

Yeah I think you are right. I hope there are some decent bonuses in there as performance clauses because he has earned them.

there was talk of that, but not sure it ever eventuated.... remember all the talk about Kevvie getting a one year extension during the pre-season (until end if 2023). it could plenty of discussion and complaints on BHQ

I don't see the need for a contract, double his wage in the off season if we make top 4, 50% wage boost if we make top 6, if we just scrape into the 8, he stays on what he is now.

I don't see the need for contracts, he won't get poached by another club, Kev is good because he's Kev and he's a Broncos legend, if another club throws ridiculous money at him (I can't see it happening) then sure, we'd look at locking him in, but I think the club has the right idea going with month to month.

All nice points but I don’t see any need to extend him unless it’s impacting player signings

He's been excellent. Worthy of an extension. Always had faith in kevy and I don't think there's a person anywhere that's not happy seeing him do well

Kevvie waited an eternity to get a gig for the club he loves, I have no doubt other teams would've been there for him to coach if he wanted to coach another club

He would be the last person I would expect us to lose

Or you might choose to extend the guy, not to stop him being poached, but to reward him for his success, provide stability to the playing group, and that could potentially assist recruiting and retention.

Yeah this is my thinking. The players clearly adore him and obviously so do the fans. So given that he is also proving to be a really good coach, nothing wrong with a show of good faith. If he has gone on to month by month, even just a bonus / pay rise would be a nice recognition of how well he has done.

Or you might choose to extend the guy, not to stop him being poached, but to reward him for his success, provide stability to the playing group, and that could potentially assist recruiting and retention.

Dragons did that with McGregor, they'd go an early season streak then the contract renewal would be announced and they'd fold up, think it happened twice actually

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  • Lozza
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • Mustafur
  • Organix
  • Scorchie
  • Fitzy
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • bazza
  • Skyblues87
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.